Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closure (24), esp22 (40)
Who's Online
3 registered (HD001, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63239 Topics
442215 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#182206 - 09/25/07 12:35 AM Article on Kite Runner - Possible Triggers
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
The article is posted here.

Kite Runner Rape Scene Worries Boy Actor

By ALISA TANG | Associated Press Writer

KABUL, Afghanistan - A 12-year-old Afghan boy starring in the upcoming film "The Kite Runner" fears he and his family could be ostracized or even attacked because of a rape scene that he says he reluctantly acted in -- a sequence the family wants cut.

Ahmad Khan Mahmidzada plays the role of young Hassan who is raped by a bully in a pivotal part of the best-selling novel, on which the movie is based. His family says the scene will offend Afghans.

"In Afghanistan, rape is not acceptable at all. This is against Afghan dignity. This is against Afghan culture," the boy's father, Ahmad Jaan Mahmidzada, told The Associated Press. "When we argued, they said 'We will cut this part of the film. We will take it out of the>

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#182248 - 09/25/07 08:20 AM Re: Article on Kite Runner - Possible Triggers [Re: FormerTexan]
Grunty1967b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
I just saw this news article this evening myself on CNN.com

Can’t say I’ll be going to see the movie. I hope there is a valid and good point that will be made out of this abuse ‘story’.

I can’t even understand the filmmakers getting this 12 year old boy to act like he was being raped. Movies these days seem so realistic and even though you know it’s acting on a screen you can’t but help feel what’s going on.

Surely this little boy had to put on a good ‘performance’ along with his rapist. How much did this ‘acting’ affect this boys emotions? None I hope - A great deal I fear.

#182379 - 09/25/07 09:55 PM Re: Article on Kite Runner - Possible Triggers [Re: Grunty1967b]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
I read this book it was hard for me to read but i really enjoyed it. i have talked about it on here before.

I am excited for the movie although im not sure if i will be able to watch it without getting pretty upset.

I am torn on how to feel with the people wanting the scene taken out of the movie.

I think if in anyway the movie puts the boys or their families at risk then somthing should be done.

But the value of this movie. a movie that will be talking about CSA to the mainstream from a realistic viewpoint i think is very important.

thats my thoughts on the issue

,Chris

#182742 - 09/27/07 11:06 AM Re: Article on Kite Runner - Possible Triggers [Re: theatrekid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
The part where Hassan is raped is of course central to the whole book, since this is the episode that Amir feels ashamed about, having done nothing to rescue his friend. Kiterunner makes no sense without it, either as a book or as a film.

But it's outrageous that the director wanted a 12-year-old boy, of whatever nationality, to take off his pants to act out a rape scene. What were they thinking? And it's just not true that they needed to do that in order to shoot the scene at all. In Mysterious Skin, for example, the scenes in which 8-year-old Neil acts out, or where Brian and Neil have to "perform" for Coach, the scenes were spliced together from pieces in which the two young actors didn't actually do anything sexual. In fact, the two boys playing those parts didn't have the full>
This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#184749 - 10/04/07 11:02 PM Re: Article on Kite Runner - Possible Triggers [Re: roadrunner]
patch22 Offline
New Here

Loc: Ireland
My wife belongs to a book club (reading group) and they all raved about the book which I haven't read. I find it easier to watch films than read books, which I think isn't how most survivors find it. SO I was looking forward to the film, but having read this I'm not sure that I will watch it. It sounds as though the boy will be damaged by what happened and that's very bad.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.