Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63647 Topics
444510 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#184486 - 10/03/07 07:22 PM Second confession: 42 years later
trusty Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Indiana, USA
In 1965, when I was seven years old, I went to confession. It took a lot of nerve, but there was no one else I could tell...so I confessed to my parish priest that my 17 year-old brother and I were having sex. I told him everything. And he knew my name, my family, my brother. My parents business was across the street from the church and school I attended.

He didn't do anything to help me because of the "seal of confession." He told me to "go and sin no more."

Today, 42 years later, I called him. We talked for an hour. He is retired...86 years old. He remembered me, my family, all my siblings. He did not remember my confession. He at least said he was sorry that he couldn't do anything because of the rules.

He did, in an underhanded sort of way, try to shame me for not being Catholic any more, and told me there was no way for me to get rid of my sins any longer (edit: because I am not practicing Catholic and don't go to confession).

Oh well...some things never change. I'm still glad that I got a chance to tell him that his lack of help angered me and that the abuse affected me the rest of my life, and that I waited another 25 years before I could tell anyone else what I told him that day. He said he would pray for me every day from now on.

Russ/Rej

#184497 - 10/03/07 07:49 PM Re: Second confession: 42 years later [Re: trusty]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

gee-------Russ--------------------------------sorry------------------steve

#184498 - 10/03/07 07:53 PM Re: Second confession: 42 years later [Re: trusty]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Yes he failed you. There was an ongoing crime occurring, and to my understanding, Catholic doctrine doesn't dictate that silence be maintained in a confession if someone is an ongoing victim of a crime.

Yeah........thanks for NOTHIN' Father. I hear you Russ.

#184503 - 10/03/07 08:11 PM Re: Second confession: 42 years later [Re: Hauser]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
I think it most likely depends state by state... but here in oregon if any one who dose any form of social work teachers doctors counselors and to my understanding even priests are by law required to report their suspicion of abuse.

#184513 - 10/03/07 09:02 PM Re: Second confession: 42 years later [Re: theatrekid]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
"told me there was no way for me to get rid of my sins any longer."

Well, he's wrong.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#184550 - 10/04/07 12:29 AM Re: Second confession: 42 years later [Re: FormerTexan]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
The God that I know does not care if you are Catholic or Prodistant. If you ask for His forgiveness. He will forgive you.

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#184594 - 10/04/07 07:54 AM Re: Second confession: 42 years later [Re: trusty]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Russ,

Originally Posted By: trusty
He said he would pray for me every day from now on.

Interesting. Who's going to pray for him? I'm so sorry you were betrayed like this.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#184618 - 10/04/07 09:43 AM Re: Second confession: 42 years later [Re: roadrunner]
trusty Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Indiana, USA
you know...as much as this sucks...i feel surprisingly good...better than i have felt in weeks...just to get this little piece of crap off my back after all these years.

i'm really not angry...i don't understand why...i guess i just don't fucking care so much...so this priest...god bless him...he can live another 86 years or die today...his archaic rules don't mean a thing to me.

he begged me to forgive my brother...i am not even close to that...maybe i'll wait another 42 years and think about that one.

thanks, guys.
russ

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.