Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (Obi, 1 invisible), 58 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63121 Topics
441407 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#184528 - 10/03/07 10:30 PM Lie Detector Tests/Family
toomscuz Offline
New Here

Hey Everyone,

My mom really want's all my family members to take a lie detector test to clear them of the abuse of me. She want's to do this because she really suspects my dad. For me he could posibly be the one but I'm still trying to remember and I don't want to jump to any conclusions or make any false accusations. Do you think this is a good idea to do?

Luke

#184532 - 10/03/07 10:39 PM Re: Lie Detector Tests/Family [Re: toomscuz]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
NO.

#184533 - 10/03/07 10:43 PM Re: Lie Detector Tests/Family [Re: OKIE MIKE]
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

No, I do not think it good idea. They are very known to be not accurate, and I believe because that, they are allowed use in police investigations, but not allowed as 'evidence'. I think it would cause very bad feelings of everyone, and do not know it would 'prove' anything.

VN

#184595 - 10/04/07 08:04 AM Re: Lie Detector Tests/Family [Re: VN]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Luke,

Lie detectors are commonly used in cases of child abuse to find out whether the perp is lying about his progress in therapy, things like that. The problem is that as legal evidence the results aren't admissible; extreme emotional stress can throw off the results, and a cold-as-ice pathological liar can fool the machine.

The other problem is that even if you find the abuser this way, it ma harm the other innocent family members to see that they were all doubted. An innocent person will of course take the position that your lack of clear memories isn't grounds for suspecting everyone.

I would take this up with a therapist and get a professional perspective. Clearly it's important that some answer be found, but this way could cause a lot of ill will among people who had nothing to do with the crime.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#184739 - 10/04/07 10:19 PM Re: Lie Detector Tests/Family [Re: toomscuz]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
BAD MOVE,NO WAY,ASKING FAMILY MEMBERS TO TAKE A "TEST" TO SEE IF THEIR LIABLE WOULD ONLY MAKE MATTERS WORSE....I SUGGEST YOU LEAVE IT ALONE.....

Coopstah

#185312 - 10/06/07 07:07 PM Re: Lie Detector Tests/Family [Re: thecoopstah]
toomscuz Offline
New Here

thanks everyone for your advice I didn't think it was a good idea but my mom is trying to do the protecting now that she feels that she didn't do when it happened to me so she is trying to get the answers out there to protect me from going through anymore grief and since she thinks it's my dad she want's the truth.

Luke

#185314 - 10/06/07 07:17 PM Re: Lie Detector Tests/Family [Re: toomscuz]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
toomscus,

its great that your mom has finnaly seen the error in her ways as you were a child growing up.

Dont forget thuogh that this is your recovery not hers.

,Chris

#185373 - 10/06/07 11:09 PM Re: Lie Detector Tests/Family [Re: theatrekid]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Let me share my two-cents, Luke. First, wholesale lie detecting is not an effective use of the polygraph(lie detector).As for accuracy, the present day polygraphs are very accurate. The training and experience of the ploygrapher we use is extensive. We use them with some of the guys in the programs I consult with. They are admissable in a few states in the U.S. But to line people up in the family and polygraph them, I feel, would not render the results you expect and anticipate.

Howard

#185386 - 10/07/07 01:20 AM Re: Lie Detector Tests/Family [Re: ScottyTodd]
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

Bad idea....

In my case, I am aware that my perp is majorly dissociative. And people in dissociative states will pass lie-detector tests because they are *not* conscious of their actions. So just in case... don't do it.

Good luck and much love, TW

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.