Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
3 registered (BraveFalcon, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63189 Topics
441846 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#183354 - 09/29/07 12:51 PM Northwestern Wisconsin Support Group???
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I've been meaning to post this for a looong time - am unsure why it's taken me so long - but I said at the recovery weekend that I would reach out - and so I shall - what I am looking for is a group within a couple of hours drive - I've heard that there is a group around Minneapolis/St.Paul - just for some reason can't seem to find contact information to call - am in hopes that someone here will know that group and how to contact them

thanx for any help

TJ jeff

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#183661 - 09/30/07 11:55 PM Re: Northwestern Wisconsin Support Group??? [Re: TJ jeff]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Jeff I am from sothwestern Wisconsin but grew up and lived inthe twin cities for some time. I have tried to find a group up there for some time but couldn't find a good fit.

I don't know about your abuse so I don't know in what direction you would like to go.
We tried to get a group going for those abused by clergy but was unable to get enough guys. I think there is a 12 step program for incest victims, both men and women. I will call around and see about a male survivor type group and get back to you.

Tom

#236028 - 07/05/08 12:53 PM Re: Northwestern Wisconsin Support Group??? [Re: Muldoon]
smacdude Offline

Loc: Wisconsin. USA
Tom,

I don't know old your message is but did you ever find out about any group in your area?

#236030 - 07/05/08 01:08 PM Re: Northwestern Wisconsin Support Group??? [Re: smacdude]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
smacdude,

Google "Twin Cities Mens Center"

it's the only place anywhere's near that I've ever found that has a group - it's on Thursday nights from 7:30 - 9:30 pm (sadly, I work durring those hours so have not been able to attend)(also - wanted to add that I had heard that this group might not be meeting currently - so you will want to send an email to the organization to see if the group is meeting currently)

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#236083 - 07/05/08 03:26 PM Re: Northwestern Wisconsin Support Group??? [Re: TJ jeff]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
The last group that I went to in the Twin Cities I found through Mic Hunter 10 years ago. I believe that it was the forerunner of SIA, and was a mixed-sex group that only had a few regular members. I believe that it was open to the public. It was at some older large stone church that was on Lake Street across from the northwest shore of Lake Calhoun, west of Hennepin Avenue SW, southwest of downtown Minneapolis. Give Mic a call and see if he will divulge anything helpful.

Back in the Fall of 1997 Hazelden was running men's survivor groups in-house both in Center City and off of West 7th and Randolph in St. Paul at their Fellowship Club. I don't know if these groups were open to the public or not. For certain they would be very protective of their patients and recent graduates though. Their toll-free number is (800) 257-7800. You might get Mic Hunter's number there too since they have a working relationship.

There might be something available through the U of MN downtown too. When you are on your way down there would you wave at my old boss for me? On the south side of 94 before Manning there are several trucklines in a row. Halfway by them just honk the horn and wave, that is all that you would have to do.

Keep on trying, my man.

Mark

#236103 - 07/05/08 04:24 PM Re: Northwestern Wisconsin Support Group??? [Re: Trucker51]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
The 7:30 - 9:30pm Men's Center group in Minneapolis has disbanded from lack of attendance. But if we get guys who are willing to come every week, and talk (for real), I'm willing to go back. \:\) The trouble is people commit, then uncommitt, or never talk, and it leaves a lack of trust. It's hard building trust so we need guys that take it seriously.

I've attended that meeting and I'm fairly close to the men's center if anyone wants to meet.

#236242 - 07/06/08 12:54 AM Re: Northwestern Wisconsin Support Group??? [Re: AndyJB2005]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Sorry, I have been living back in the Denver-area since late in 1999. We do have several groups here.

Mark

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.