Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bob_dup1 (54), Carlos Gerardo (41), FERALFOO (48), Jolly Fisherman (59), Karl (62), MikeInFlorida (52), mizphit09 (37), oktobe_me (53), Yaoichan (22)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443466 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#182130 - 09/24/07 07:12 PM Re: I don't think my experience was as bad [Re: jf]
rcm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boston, MA
Everyone,
I am overwhelmed by all your messages and support. I never expected this but thank you thank you thank you thank you
RCM

#182198 - 09/24/07 11:38 PM Re: I don't think my experience was as bad [Re: rcm]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

What one of the older moderaters here use to say, 'what happen to you is the worst thing in your life, what happen to me was the worst in my life, what happen to him the worst in his life'. There is no comparison, only sharing and support. He is one of the best and wisest people I know, so I think he is very right in what he say.

Andrei

#182224 - 09/25/07 02:21 AM Re: I don't think my experience was as bad [Re: ak]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
rcm................................

I'm going to give another point of view here that some people don't like, but it very well may apply to you.

There ARE degrees of severity when it comes to sexual abuse. (beatings, torture, humiliation, violence, fear, threats, etc). And of course there are some here that would argue that victims that get talked into accepting and trusting their perps and keeping it a dreaded secret have it even worse than victims of outright rape and violence.

But I digress. YES there are different degrees of abuse. BUT and this is a BIG BUT, we as victims don't get to just "choose" how well or even HOW we deal with the emotional turbulence that's left in the wake of sexual abuse. What it's impact is on you and your life is LEGITIMATE, and every bit REAL.

If, because of the abuse, you're crippled in ANY capacity, (more than one is likely) then we're here to support you and offer insight and MAYBE, just MAYBE some answers that will address what is troubling you.

And you know what? I think you just might find that help here, I know I did. It just took one person to say the right thing in the right circumstance in my life to change the way I see things and for what I might actually hope is possible for me.

#182226 - 09/25/07 02:35 AM Re: I don't think my experience was as bad [Re: Hauser]
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes, there are different degrees of violence and torture in abuse, there are different ways people have been groomed, there is differences in how young people were when abused, or how long the abuse continued. But still, as people here say, it is YOUR life, and what happened to you, and someone who feel like 'well, it was just this, and just one time', they deserve the same respect and understanding of anyone else here. I think what I am trying to say, you may feel it is 'minimal' abuse in comparing to someone else here. But it is what happen to YOU, and any abuse, it is not minimal. You deserve help in your healing just as anyone else do.

VN

#416715 - 11/20/12 02:25 PM Re: I don't think my experience was as bad [Re: rcm]
seikei Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ive dealt with this issue off and on since i first became aware of my abuse. There certainly are times were I go "why is this effecting me so much? Its not like my abuse was like the abuse cases you see on tv." I once read the case of a boy that was raped so brutally that he suffered massive anal fissures. These fissures bled so profusely that he got an infection and almost died. Don't mean to be graphic, but I wanted to illustrate why sometimes I feel bad considering I did not have anywhere near as bad as that poor boy. Even if you did not suffer substantial physical trauma that does not diminish the seriousness of the abuse. Whether you brutally raped or fondled you were still violated. Likewise, all abuse also has the potential for adverse problems later in life, so you should not feel bad if your experience was "not that bad." Ultimately all experiences really are that bad.

#416720 - 11/20/12 04:51 PM Re: I don't think my experience was as bad [Re: jf]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
There are lots of guys here whose experiences make mine look like losing a game of freeze-tag. Four in particular astound me that they lived and retained sanity at all. Don't think I should name names but seriously - badasses whether they see it that way or not, just by waking up each day.

But I think it's just "not done" to try to upsize / downrank folks' experiences - like you're Quint and Hooper having a scar-fight in Jaws. Was the moray eel bigger than the thresher's tail?

First of all, it just seems tacky.

More importantly, invalidating a person's experiences can be a form of re-victimization - and that's just as true when it comes from within. You "count". Your experience counts. The crime against you counts.

And besides, it's plainly a waste of time because Robbie Middleton "wins".

Edited by SoccerStar (11/20/12 05:15 PM)

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#416747 - 11/20/12 09:21 PM Re: I don't think my experience was as bad [Re: rcm]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Well-stated SoccerStar(esp. the Jaws reference). CSA isn't a contest. Everyone who has experienced it in whatever form or degree is left to contend with the demons it leaves behind. When I first found MS Survivors, I felt like my story hardly measured in comparison to some of the truly horrific stories on here. I was quickly assured that comparisons are both meaningless and counterproductive.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#416752 - 11/20/12 09:52 PM Re: I don't think my experience was as bad [Re: rcm]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Ditto what the others have said above--it makes no sense to try to count up "experience points" for the various acts that each perpetrator perpetrated. Some of them may sound "worse" than others, in the sense that a criminal code prescribes harsher penalties, but that doesn't help US. It doesn't even describe US.

What matters is the negative effects that the CSA experience has on each of us. Experience isn't something that happened in the past, it's what we carry with us now. Each of us has been affected to different degrees in different ways by CSA, regardless of whether it was violent or not, protracted or brief. It's obvious from this discussion board that some have been harmed more than others, and some have struggled more than others--that's the only meaningful sense in which one guy's CSA can be "worse" than another's.

John

Edited by unhappycamper (11/20/12 10:06 PM)
Edit Reason: typo's

#416754 - 11/20/12 10:33 PM Re: I don't think my experience was as bad [Re: rcm]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

CSA is not just a physical abuse but also an emotional and psychological one. No one can measure the abuse--it impacts each of us differently. But it is abuse and our lives were forever changed. It is not the amount of physical abuse, duration or grooming that is important. What is important we were violated and robbed of our lives. Healing is now what is important, like our abuse, it was different for each of us, how we reacted was different, how we were effected physiologically and emotionally cannot not be measure. We should not compare our abuses but rather look at the healing, support and hope this forum offers and what we offer to each other.

#416772 - 11/21/12 01:16 AM Re: I don't think my experience was as bad [Re: rcm]
crazy gecko Offline

I absolutely agree with everyone here. There is no way to measure trauma or pain. Therefore, no one can ever say "mine was worse than yours". Playing that game will only cause more damage. If you feel a need to be here, they you belong here. It's as simple as that.

Edited by crazy gecko (11/21/12 01:16 AM)
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.