Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63788 Topics
445454 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#181656 - 09/21/07 08:56 PM New Here would like advise
mmac Offline

Loc: PA
hi, i am very new to this . 3 1/2 years in a realtionship with a fantastic man that was abused as a child. I just moved to my own apartment because he quit counseling again and has pushed me out of his life. i would do anything for this man, but hurt him. Help, i do not know what to do?

Edited by walkingsouth (09/21/07 11:58 PM)

I cannot take your steps, but I can walk beside you, if you'll let me.

#181698 - 09/22/07 09:07 AM Re: New Here would like advise [Re: mmac]
sweet-n-sour Offline

Loc: chicago
Dear Mmac:

Hi and welcome to the Family & Friend's forum of Male Survivor. We are here to offer friendship and support to the best of our abilities.

I'm sorry that you have been pushed out of your man's life. Trust is a very difficult thing for a survivor to extend since their entire idea of trust was tarnished at such a young age. It makes sense that when a person is hurt so deeply that a wall of protection is scaled around their hearts from that moment forward. Anyone that manages to get through that barrier causes such discomfort that all they know to do is pull away.

The unfortunate thing is that often times the survivor may keep themself at a safe distance, but they are also missing out on one of the most wonderful experiences of life...a true connection to others and intimacy.

The choice to continue therapy is ultimately his decision just the same as whether to rekindle the relationship that he shared with you. The best advice I can offer is to read articles/posts here and check out the books that are available regarding the male survivor. With knowledge comes understanding and compassion.

I'm sorry for the circumstances that landed you here as well as the rest of us...both survivor and f&f of the survivor. Just know that you are not alone and I truly wish there was more I could offer you. I am extending my support at most.

Best wishes,
S-n-S

cm 2007

#181709 - 09/22/07 11:27 AM Re: New Here would like advise [Re: sweet-n-sour]
mmac Offline

Dearest S-n-S,
Thank you for responding. i am in my own pain as i do not know what to do and my fear of doing anything that could cause this wonderful man anymore pain. He states he wants to "Feel better" and at times he does and we share a fabulous life, then the cloud washes over him and he just "goes away". i try to honor his need for space, but am confused on the signals of what that truely means. Stay or go, hug or not, love or hate, his lines are so blurred. He wants clarification but yet does not seem to really be marching in that direction. I came here for some answers so as not to loose what we have already built, yet most are not receptive to taking responsibility to stop the abuse from continuing. we live away from the recommended T's on the site and his previous T admits he is not an expert in this area.
i do not want to push, yet i do not want to back off either. what's the right thing to do? i love him.
M:)

#181847 - 09/23/07 09:00 AM Re: New Here would like advise [Re: mmac]
sweet-n-sour Offline

Dear mmac:

When you said:
"i do not want to push, yet i do not want to back off either. what's the right thing to do? i love him."

This sometimes feels like a juggling act where the balance a person is juggling changes at any given moment. I'm not sure any of us here can answer that question since not only does the balance change from moment to moment, but for ever survivor the issues they are facing varies as well.
The thing is, for most survivors control is a huge issue since it was taken away from them at a young age. If they are pushed too hard a sense of not having control present day is overwhelming to them. I have realized however, that by offering too much control, my personal boundaries are often encroached. I am truly uncertain even after a year of this what or how to balance this.
I am sorry for your pain. I do understand the good days are fabulous and the cloud washes over and the survivor goes away...I understand this mode all too well...for me I have described it as "checking out."
There is hope. I see postings by survivors here that have traveled ahead on this journey...years into it and their perspective fills me with the promise that tomorrow can and will be better.
Sorry, I couldn't really answer your question for I too am just trying to figure this whole thing out.
Sending you my best.
S-n-S

cm 2007

#181859 - 09/23/07 10:15 AM Re: New Here would like advise [Re: sweet-n-sour]
mmac Offline

S-n-S,
by leaving i chose to distance myself from the daily ride. it has helped me see things clearer. i too have read and taken great comfort that there is a way for him to heal. I can believe because of folks like yourself and the survivors here who share their journey. I want to hope that he will take the steps necessary to heal and we can once again be on the same page, but the survivor in me knows that might not occur. I believe God has brought us together for a reason and that I should and must trust in that. Being a human, I have a hard time feeling good about it, yet without that belief, I have no hope.
Thanks for you strength and for all of the wonderful people struggling to stay together in this thing called CSA.
M:)

#181917 - 09/23/07 08:18 PM Re: New Here would like advise [Re: mmac]
mmac Offline

i just saw him and again expressed my love and compassion for him. He didn't say a word, just sat there and began speaking about his comp case like i never even said anything. I thanked him for listening and i told him i will love him always no matter what the ride. i went back to my apt. i feel empty. I hate what happened to him. I hate his abuser. I hate that this wonderful man was so violated and is continuing to be in so much pain. I hate that he can just shut down and nothing gets thru. I want to hold on to some hope but i feel hopeless.

#181921 - 09/23/07 08:31 PM Re: New Here would like advise [Re: mmac]
sweet-n-sour Offline

Dear mmac:

I'm sending you a sister (((hug))) along with understanding and support. I know it isn't much but I hope somehow it helps to know you are not alone in this.

Best wishes,
S-n-S

cm 2007

#181924 - 09/23/07 08:36 PM Re: New Here would like advise [Re: sweet-n-sour]
mmac Offline

thanks. i feel like i can't help him, myself or anyone. i cannot imagine my life without him in it. Like air. And he can dismiss me like i do not exsist. maybe going to see him was wrong, but i couldn't go another day without seeing his face, hearing his voice. Why is it that his abuser gets to keep winning. I do not want to feel this way. i just can't see past this, no dreams or hopes, too hard tobe objective and not blame myself for leaving.
I'm on the outside of his heart again, after all the work and time i put in to get him to try and trust me, it's all gone.
i'm so tired.now what?

#181928 - 09/23/07 08:42 PM Re: New Here would like advise [Re: mmac]
ptsdwife Offline

hi mmac,

I'm sorry, and I know exacly how you feel... the one adviced from me is... DON'T STOP telling him that you love him... because I did for 2 months and as soon as i Could said it anymore he just completly separate from me.
maybe he was lingering because he felt guilty that I loved him or maybe he just need it??? not sure but the fact is that at some point you will feel like a fool for saying it without any response and believed me ... DONT STOP
maybe does make a difference or maybe in my case it will have not.
make some Tea and a hot bath ... it works for me ... also pray God it's a wonderfull companion ...
i will be loged in if you want to talk....

#181930 - 09/23/07 08:48 PM Re: New Here would like advise [Re: sweet-n-sour]
ptsdwife Offline

Hi S-n-S

Nothing new in my world.... just wonder how you are doing?
you are always there for all of us...
thank You = )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.