Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
2 registered (peroperic2009, mike1965), 69 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62517 Topics
438110 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#179976 - 09/13/07 07:35 AM My comments on the Kite Runner
rcm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boston, MA
This book came to me about recently, not more than two months ago, in a very strange way. I started reading it and couldn't put it down. It touched me deeply in ways I do not understand. I want to share my synopsis and want to hear if anyone else sees it in the same way? It's complex book with many topics but this is how I saw it. I hope it's not too long. I am not so happy with the end result and wish I could write it better but it's difficult for me. I cry every time I write or even edit anything.

THE KITE RUNNER
by Khaled Hosseini (c) 2003, Bloomsbury

A story of two boys growing up in Afghanistan in the 60's/70's and the impact in their lives of the Soviet invasion followed by the rise of the Taliban.

Amir, the son of a rich successful businessman, feels he cannot be the son his father wants. He is jealous of his servant Hassan, a boy who is one year younger, brave, athletic and the type of boy his father admires.

The boys are inseparable and even though they belong to different castes, there is a strong bond between them.

One day, Amir is competing in a kite flying contest, an old tradition in his country. Part of the tradition is running to rescue the fallen kites. Amir wins the contest and as his kite falls to the ground, Hassan promises Amir that he will get the kite for him. Amir follows Hassan, but he cannot run as fast as him. When he finally finds him, he discovers that some boys have cornered Hassan and are trying to take the kite away from him. Hassan will not give the kite as he has promised Amir that he'd bring it for him.

Amir witnesses Hassan being raped by other boys and has to live with the guilt of of this horrific event for many years. This marks the beginning of the end of their friendship. Eventually, Hassan and his father move away and Amir and Hasan never see each other again.

As the story unfolds, we find Amir at 40 years old, married and living in the United States. He is a successful writer living the American dream. One day, he receives news from an old family friend who is now living in Pakistan. Amir flies to Pakistan to meet with him and finds out that his old friend Hassan is now dead, killed by the Taliban while fulfilling his duty as loyal servant to Amir's family.

He also finds out that Hassan is his half brother.

Hassan's son, Sohrab, is living in an orphanage. Amir decides to rescue him and find a better life for him. When he finally finds the orphanage, Amir discovers that Sohrab has been taken away by Taliban fighters who use him for their pleasure.

In my eyes, this story is an allegory of a man coming to terms with his own experience as a victim of sexual abuse.

When he confronts the Taliban fighters, Amir realizes these men are the same boys that had raped Hassan many years ago. The child must confront his abusers. The man must face his own demons.

Going back to his home country represents looking back into his childhood. His life before the incident, though not perfect, is painted as a happy childhood, in a beautiful home with loving people. After the incident it all goes away. When he goes back, he finds a place he does not recognize. Torn by war, devastated. Is this what the soul looks like after being raped? It's ugly but he must go back.

Hassan and Amir are the same person. A dissociation to deal with a traumatic event. Amir witnesses Hassan's rape. His own rape.

Amir rescues Sohrab, and brings him to America. But this is not a happy ending. Sohrab is traumatized and even tries to kill himself. Amir's wife tries to reach to him but eventually gives up as the boy is distant and unresponsive.

I think Sohrab represents the boy inside Amir. Initially, his wife supports him but eventually intimacy issues create problems in their relationship and she seems to give up. I think their marriage is represented by Amir's wife relationship with Sohrab. They don't speak. He avoids looking at her in the eye. She was supportive of her husband in the beginning but now she has given up.

In the end, Amir is showing Sohrab how to fly a kite like he used to when he was a young child. Before he was raped. And he is finally able to see a smile in Sohrab. He is reaching to the boy inside of him, the beginning of a his own path to healing.

#180095 - 09/13/07 03:43 PM Re: My comments on the Kite Runner [Re: rcm]
Darren Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The High Seas
I have seen many people reading this book and have wondered what it was about. Now I want to read it. Thanks for posting your de>

#180143 - 09/13/07 08:07 PM Re: My comments on the Kite Runner [Re: Darren]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
I read it
i loved it
but it was kinda hard for me to read in some obvious parts. but it was a fantastic story.

i did think it had to many coincidences in it....

it started out being very believable but the climax of the story was a bit of a stretch for me.... but overall i enjoyed it.

however it is an important book on more than one level... first it gives an accurate history of Afghanistan giving insight to what the culture and people are really like... more importantly to most of us, it covers sexual abuse in a graphic real way it dosnt shy away on the pain heartache and the mess that it causes in peoples life....

I think this book will become a classic like To Kill a Mocking Bird.

thats my review of the book.

#180199 - 09/14/07 06:34 AM Re: My comments on the Kite Runner [Re: theatrekid]
rcm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boston, MA
theatrekid

i liked it very much as well

and i thought the climax of the stories and some parts of it were too much of a coincidence, etc i thought there was something not quite right with his writing style

but it made much more sense to me when i saw it as an allegory of another event, as i described above

at least to me it seems like that

which is why i'd like to know if anyone else feels the same way

i also had a very difficult time reading the parts where they describe sexual abuse

rcm

#181167 - 09/19/07 09:50 AM Re: My comments on the Kite Runner [Re: rcm]
TNuss Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Del-A-Ware???
I have to read this book. This is the first I have every hard of it.

It's funny since I started dealing with my abuse two things are allegories of something else for me.

First is the sound of a train represents the end, not so much death, just the end. When I first started having memories of my abuse, it was like watch a movie in my mind the always ended with a bright light and the sound of a train horn. For the longest time I thought I was suicidal and avoided cross train tracks, but that wasn't what it was at all it was just my minds way of telling me that I had had enough.

The second is a kite, I love to watch kites fly. There are so free, so that's what they represent to me, freedom. Freedom from the abuse, freedom from being a victim, and a lot of what I long for in my life able to be free and open. Makes me happy just thinking about the idea. Funny thing, I never really never tried to fly a kite myself, maybe I'll try that sometime very soon.

THANK YOU!!! Maybe kites should be the symbol for CSA Survivors or at least this site.

In harmony,
Troy

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.