Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
3 registered (takingitslow, 2 invisible), 59 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62563 Topics
438367 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#180462 - 09/15/07 04:19 PM Re: Being "SEXUAL" in front of your kids? [Re: Frog]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Frog

Quote:
But when you consider how appropriate a behavior you display around your kids is, I think the best question would be to ask whether or not you would do that behavior to your kids.

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS WOULD I..............

So if I wouldn't do it to my kids, then I cannot do it to my
woman in front of them?

I was sitting at my sister's house a few months ago, when her husband came home. He snuck in the front door, looking for the first kid he could find. These kids know the game pretty well. Each kid pretends they don't see him come home in the hopes that he'll pick him/her this time.

Into the living room he comes until he spots his beautiful five year old daughter. He crouches down, sneaks up right behind her, grabs her by the hips, and gives her a great big raspberry on the back of her neck. She squeals in delight as he picks her up like a sack of potatoes, throws her over his shoulder, and searches for the next "unsuspecting" child.

Think about that for a second. Sometimes, the affection you show your kids is twenty times more important than the affection you show others around your kids. There is nothing sexual at all about this action, but if you're having trouble differentiating between a show of affection and a sign of sex, that just means that you're probably not a very good judge as to what is appropriate or not. In that case, it's best to just be very careful.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#180466 - 09/15/07 04:26 PM Re: Being "SEXUAL" in front of your kids? [Re: BJK]
Frog Offline

Loc: Arizona

My "conscience" or "holy spirit" or "whatever you wanna call it" tells
me what is appropiate and what is not....

I'm not rubbing her inner thighs in front of them...

I'm not groping her in front of them...

Nor am I committing any other sexual "sins" in front of them...

This is a very tough subject for me....

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#180470 - 09/15/07 04:41 PM Re: Being "SEXUAL" in front of your kids? [Re: Frog]
jacobtk Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Frog
My psychologist told me that we could NOT be sexual in front of our kids...i.e.; pat on the butt, rub of the thigh, any thing that may be thought of as "SEXUAL" is off limits in front of the kids...as these things/actions are considered by the LAW and psychologists/counselors and so on as "sexual abuse" of the children... so this leaves only a light kiss, a hug or holding hands.... I'm pissed off....

I am not familiar with the law in your area, however, none of what you describes sounds any different than what a person can see in kid's TV shows. I do not think it is inappropriate to do those things in front of your children so long as it is explained to them what the behavior is about, i.e. it is part of an adult relationship and not something children should do. Unless there is some other reason for the comment, it really makes little sense.

Every day I die again, and again Iím reborn/Every day I have to find the courage/To walk out into the street/With arms out/Got a love you canít defeat/Neither down nor out/Thereís nothing you have that I need/I can breathe/Breathe now - U2

#180471 - 09/15/07 04:47 PM Re: Being "SEXUAL" in front of your kids? [Re: Frog]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

In my estimation, as long at the act is not OVERTLY sexual in nature, a pat on the butt or a hand on the hip would be okay. Children see far worse on television, and contrary to what Bryan said above (forgive me, Bryan), I believe that modeling a healthy relationship is most important for kids to learn what is and is not appropriate. Having said that, I think a good way to mark that boundary is to keep what you do to show affection to the same limit you would if you were in front of a police officer or other authority figure.

Hugging in a "chaste" manner (i.e. no groin contact), holding hands, "peck" kissing, arms around one another... these all seem "safe to me". Anything more I would have serious questions about.

#180494 - 09/15/07 08:44 PM Re: Being "SEXUAL" in front of your kids? [Re: Dewey2k]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Frog:
I'm not sure what kind of message your t is giving you. Why don't you ask him/her what they think is ok or not ok?

I think kids need to see parents acting appropriatly with each other. Remember that in many parts of the world kids sleep in the same room as their parents. Whether that means that there is no sex or quiet sex or whatever, normal human contact does not necessarily affect the kids.

I think that normal affection between parents is perfectly ok. It gives the kids certain messages. Your t should read Bolton, Morris and MacEachron"s book "Abuse of Sexuality" (Sage, 1989) about the abuse of sexuality to get another perspective of the home environment.
Ken

#180496 - 09/15/07 08:49 PM Re: Being "SEXUAL" in front of your kids? [Re: Dewey2k]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: Dewey2k
Children see far worse on television, ... I believe that modeling a healthy relationship is most important for kids to learn what is and is not appropriate.

AMEN DEWEY!!!!!!!!!!

Still's Globs

New Video

#180497 - 09/15/07 08:55 PM Re: Being "SEXUAL" in front of your kids? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I the age of the child is importent also on how much affection, or what level of it, to show. Older children will hopefully have better understanding, and they will know more of proper boundaries, then younger children. I think also the way you act while you are doing something of affection, if your face or manner is more sexual or intimite. In my mind, anything done in a way that you would be assuming your child to be an adult, like you are doing it in front of adults and not children, is not all right. But there is different 'grays' of that.

Andrei

#180513 - 09/16/07 12:23 AM Re: Being "SEXUAL" in front of your kids? [Re: ak]
Frog Offline

I have had several RED FLAGS since my initial phone conversation
w/ this psychologist...he doesn't treat abusers, which after
a few weeks of mulling over a post I made here, I decided that
a professional SHOULD treat both sides, it makes sense to ME...

I have spent most of my ADULT life in self help books and
reasearch concerning PROPER/ACCEPTABLE behaviors....this comes
from being abused multiple times by different men up until
i was 19-20....

I have studied human sexual behaviors from the biological
stand point to the psychological stand point...

I understand a lot about myself and others, I can usually
read people pretty good...My kids hate me for it...I can
pick their stories apart and tell them what is ACTUALLY
going on...they hate this... \:\)

It's like he is asuming that I'm an abuser...
like I'm abusing our kids...

Just when I am finally starting to get a grip on my sexuality
and be comfortable enough to show APPROPIATE affection, I'm
told that it is inappropiate to do any of the things I believe
are acceptable...

UGH...I'm so fucking pissed off right now...at him...not myself..

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#180550 - 09/16/07 08:55 AM Re: Being "SEXUAL" in front of your kids? [Re: Frog]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Frog,

I think I see what is going on here, now. The reason I told you the story about my brother-in-law a few posts ago was to give you an idea of what I deem to be an appropriate way to treat a child so you could compare to some of the things you do with your wife.

I believe it was Mic Hunter's book where it is stated that a couple of the defining points of whether or not an action is child abuse are 1) whether or not the action is intended to be kept secret and 2) whether or not the action is intended as a way to obtain power.

My first reply here was kind of a knee-jerk reaction to the question of "acting sexually around kids". I started to think about all of the "butt-pats" I have seen and experienced over the course of my life. We used to pat each other's butts when I played basketball in high school. Was it sexual? Hell no. You'd be surprised at how much of a morale boost something like that can be to a person's confidence when he's on the free throw line down a couple of points with time running down.

But I have to leave it to the questions I posed earlier. If you would sneak up behind one of your kids, grab him/her around the waist, and give him/her a big raspberry on the back of the neck, then I don't see anything wrong with doing the same to your wife (though she might prefer a kiss over a raspberry).

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#180598 - 09/16/07 02:01 PM Re: Being "SEXUAL" in front of your kids? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Frog Offline

Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW

I think kids need to see parents acting appropriatly with each other. Remember that in many parts of the world kids sleep in the same room as their parents. Whether that means that there is no sex or quiet sex or whatever, normal human contact does not necessarily affect the kids.

Ken,

My T did give an example similar to this: as recent as the late
40's - 50's parents and children here in the USA slept in the
same one room house/home/shack...and how did they have children if there wasn't any sexual contact? The "stork"?

he went on to state that todays society/law does not accept this
kind of behavior...?????

and that I should remove myself when any person is being sexual... i.e; take the "flight" approach to someone being sexual..

that doesn't make any sense to me...how about providing me the
tools necessary to cope w/ someone being sexual in my presence?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.