Just some thoughts, from a relatively new guy here. (who's not shy and can talk till the cows come home)
1) I use the chatroom to connect with other people.
2) Sometimes I'm in a light hearted mood, but other times I want to be serious.
3) I try to acknowledge new arrivals, but sometimes I am typing and it may take a few minutes.
4) I will do all I can to keep people talking.
5) When the conversation stalls, I will try different topics until people get involved.
6) Sometimes these topics will be light hearted, but if a serious topic comes up, I will happily go with it.
7) I was welcomed with open arms, when I first started chatting, and I try to return that favor.
8) I think everyone should keep in mind, we are here to share and help. To that end, if someone comes in and wants to talk about an issue, we should respect that. I will stop talking fluff and jump in.
9) No one should be worried about getting serious. Most of the fluff is going on because no other topic has been presented.
10) If the room does not respond to a change of topics, I will sometimes move to the treehouse and invite the people who were involved to join me.
11) I DON'T CARE IF YOU CAN TYPE OR SPELL WELL. AS LONG AS YOU GET THE POINT ACROSS, IT DOESN'T MATTER.
12) I type with two fingers, so I am sometimes slower than the rest of the room, but I still participate.
13) I love to be asked to give my opinion, so if someone wants to PM me or invite me to another room, I feel honored.
14) The chatroom takes a little getting used to, but once you get involved, I think you will enjoy and benefit from participating.
15) The trick to the chatroom, is to just start talking! I think you'll find that once you start, the more involved you will get.
Wow... I think I should stop talking now.
Just some thoughts.
Scoutvictim (Carl Hart on chat)