Newest Members
MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise
12464 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Asmodeus (31), comeath3 (75), Roy (53), Skeeter (55), tazrad (43), Treehugger75 (39), waterworld (53)
Who's Online
1 registered (Bardo), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12464 Members
74 Forums
63990 Topics
446644 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#180966 - 09/18/07 12:20 PM Re: Question about chatroom [Re: roadrunner]
rcm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boston, MA
Hi Larry,
I have seen comments about circles but I don't know what they are and how to participate.
Is this something people do on their own and invite others or soemthing that is open?
~Raul

#180986 - 09/18/07 02:18 PM Re: Question about chatroom [Re: rcm]
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

Nathan,

It is not anyone's wish here that someone's freedom to create a subroom be taken from them.

The point is, chat, is it is now, is not the same as chat was just 3 years ago. We used to be able to talk about anything in chat, being totally frank, without having to worry about triggers so much. We never tried to trigger each other, and if we were triggered, we went to Treehouse.

The point Androsh and others are trying to make is, we need a subroom where guys know right from the get go that the conversation going in there will be honest and frank, and may be triggering. It would be a room with none, or little of the fluff chat, instead a room where we could seriously talk about our issues without having to worry every other minute about triggering someone.

Most of us have dealt with triggers for years. Some of us are willing to take the risk of a triggering conversation if it helps us or one of our fellow survivors.

For those of us who are not ready to deal with triggers, we would still have the option of "friendly" chat in the regular chatroom and also the added option of creating our own subroom.

One more response to Nathan...I could not agree with you more about having our voice or communication taken from us as boys. We found our voice here! Do not try and take it away by restricting what we can and cannot mention because it may be triggering for someone else.

We need a serious chatroom!! When I feel like talking about my issues, I personally don't give a damn about what the weather is like in Kansas, or what someone's favorite pop song is, or what they are eating that moment for dinner. I don't want to have to pick and choose every word I type because what I type MAY trigger someone else. Know that I, and most guys here, would never intentionally try and trigger a soul. We just want a chatroom that we can chat about our SA issues. That shouldn't be too much to expect from a MaleSurvivor site.

#181345 - 09/20/07 06:27 AM Re: Question about chatroom [Re: FLRich]
Power_water Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
Well, I have actually tried out the chat room now.
And for the most part, I like it.
I do think another room would be helpful, a room to rant and rave and or ask for serious help with a painful personal issues.
I did enjoy the lounge, but I felt there were an awful lot of hellos and goodbyes. Creating my own room is a shot in the dark.

One question I do have about the chat rooms is, why is my other user name displayed there? Can other people see more of my identity in the chat room? When I leave a post on the boards here, I am always listed as powerwater, but in the chat room it seems to display my other user name. I don't like it. And it could lead to some confusion for people trying to develop relationships of trust.
Here you have one registered user and on the boards you see one name and in the chat rooms, you see another name. Why?

#181391 - 09/20/07 11:02 AM Re: Question about chatroom [Re: Power_water]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

The user name shown in the chat room is currently your user name that you log into the discussion board with. We are investigating to see if the display name can be shown in the chat room instead of your user name, but it will take some time to find out, and if so, more time to change. Please be patient.

#182183 - 09/24/07 11:07 PM Re: Question about chatroom [Re: Dewey2k]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Again, this seems an issue today. I go into chat room, and in the 'lounge', there is talk about diet, weight loss, not funny jokes about AIDS, and totally ignoring of new people coming in. There needs to be a place where you can go into when you are in a more serious or upset mood and need to talk without that crap and constant interruption. I gone into treehouse which only have one other person who do not want to talk at all (which of course, is anyone's right). Else of creating my own room, that I do not want to do, my choice was to leave and not talk about what I need to talk about. There is a 'board of directors' room that is almost never, if ever used. How much more hard would it be to create a 'serious issues only' room?

Andrei

#182185 - 09/24/07 11:14 PM Re: Question about chatroom [Re: ak]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
i didn't hear you ask for help ak. we can't read minds.

#182187 - 09/24/07 11:17 PM Re: Question about chatroom [Re: ak]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andrei,

I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to talk about what is on your mind. All you really need to do is ask for help. We'd have been available to talk. But we don't know if there is something on your mind if you don't say something.

Sorry:(

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#182192 - 09/24/07 11:24 PM Re: Question about chatroom [Re: BJK]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well since it seemed I was invisible, I did not think to ask for help would even been seen. Never mind it. I've learned.

Andrei

#182205 - 09/25/07 12:23 AM Re: Question about chatroom [Re: ak]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andrei,

I hope I didn't come off the wrong way. I really want to help if you have issues.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#182215 - 09/25/07 01:08 AM Re: Question about chatroom [Re: BJK]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

i think if you come into chat and its busy just like in the real world ,sometimes you gotta say hey !shut the fuck up and listen to me ! its really good pratice for finding your voice in the real world . most times i think the joking goes on cause no serious topic has been brought up ,like everybody is waiting for some body to say exactly that ,hey i need help listen t me . i know i wouldnt ignore it if somebody typed that .

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.