Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
1 registered (petercorbett), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63422 Topics
443383 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#326719 - 03/30/10 07:48 PM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: kidneythis]
Charlie24 Offline

I sometimes think I might have IBS. Stress really throws my gut out of wack and it just causes me to get either constipated or diarrhea. Just too much. I know the stress from college and shitty teachers causes me to get sick.

Charlie.

#331600 - 05/22/10 01:46 PM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: Charlie24]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I saw on ABC News about a week ago that some doctor has had success with an antibiotic in treating IBS. He prescribes the antibiotic rifaximin. It has a 40% success rate with no symptoms returning (according to the ABC News report).

At first glance 40% doesn't seem too impressive but that means a total cure in 40% of the patients.

The reason given is that a bacterium has been found in the small intestinal tract of people with IBS. The antibiotic gets rid of the bacterium.

http://www.annals.org/content/145/8/557.abstract?

IBS must be of considerable concern to CSA survivors. This thread has received about 6200 hits so far.

Allen

aka pufferfish whistle

Edited by pufferfish (05/22/10 02:01 PM)
Edit Reason: link

#331701 - 05/23/10 12:51 AM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: pufferfish]
Charlie24 Offline

Allen

This is fascinating, thanks for sharing. I just saw a naturopath on Tuesday and he thinks I might have IBS. My gut having a mind of it's own.

In regards to the whole thing about this getting a lot of hits, yeah I think there is a big interest, but people are afraid to ask or talk about this subject. But having a healthy functioning intestinal seems make me feel better and I'm able to function better, figuring out what is wrong is the challenge.

Not to get too perverted but I feel better after taking care of business, if you catch my drift.

Charlie

#331725 - 05/23/10 09:54 AM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: Charlie24]
kidneythis Offline

You are right Charlie24. I didn't do anything about my intestines until I was 43 it finally got so bad.

#331775 - 05/23/10 03:29 PM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: kidneythis]
james 1959 Offline

This is a sympton i have had for a good number of years i never connected it with csa it has eased of a lot since i started the recovery process at present im taking no medication which i have done in the past for a good number of years.

James

#331890 - 05/24/10 03:44 AM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: pufferfish]
Charlie24 Offline

Allen,

I just thought of a few more things that I think you keep hitting on. This is so important in understanding all of this and why it is the way it is.

The whole connection of CSA and Bowel function. No wonder I have so many issues.

I'm working with a naturopath, and he kept saying the same thing, what happened to you is part of why you are experiencing all these fucking feelings and why my gut is always so out of whack, cause I'm so out of whack and my mind is so out of whack. I realize I need more help with this shit.

More counseling here I come. God this shit never seems to end.

Charlie

#333222 - 06/07/10 08:28 PM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: Charlie24]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yea, Charlie

It does get better if you work on it. Mine is genuinely better. But not well yet. You have hit on what goes on with it.

I made a list of food irritants. Some were much worse than others. These were things that would set it off.

There's no doubt there is a psychological factor.

It is so true that butterfinger bars would set it off for me, I had like 2 minutes to get to a toilet. The butterfinger candies were what I ate only once during the horrible abuse.

Allen

#333469 - 06/11/10 07:03 AM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: pufferfish]
frozen Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Europe
Hi
I have suffered IBS science 10, about 30 years, it is strongly food and mind related. There is long list foods I canīt eat, for instance too hot or cold, all spicy, greasy, junk food, just baked bread and so one. If I upset my mind about something, my stomach turns around. If I am doing something physical, for instance running or walking, my stomach turns around. I have constant diarrhea with injuries in rectal area; because of my SSA I have bowel incontinence. I spent over an hour in toilet every day, still get soiled clothes or diaper.
I finally got enough and (my therapist advised) went to see doctor, first family one, she send me to hospital. I was in awful, different kind of exams in two hospitals, but it was worth it. I got diagnosis of hiatus hernia (causes strong reflux), IBS and bowel incontinence. Medication which I got, have helped but wonīt take these away. I am eating Somac for reflux, Psyllium fiber ,Questran and Immodium for diarrhea and I am wearing Tena diapers for leaking.
Am I happy? No! Newer!
Am I better? Yes, bit.
When I am taking my meds and chancing my diaper, I remember those bastards who caused it.
But I am not giving up.

#333475 - 06/11/10 09:41 AM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: frozen]
kidneythis Offline

I have to say I'm once again humbled by how small my problems seem when I see how bad they might be.

I am lucky enough to have gotten some control over my bowels by eating beans daily, learning to chew my bites until there are no chunks before swallowing, and increasing my water intake to at least a gallon a day.
Its not perfect and I still weaken and eat beef which slows me down and even locks me up but I'm much better nowadays than I had been for most of my life.

#333477 - 06/11/10 09:50 AM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: frozen]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Most guys who experienced CSA (child sexual abuse) have IBS. Possibly all of us.

I used to teach human anatomy and physiology. I found the following information in only one book out of the stack of books I have on that subject. I have not been able to find this book so far. The following information is not widely known. Probably most doctors don't even know about this.

There is a small muscle connecting the rectum to the body wall (from behind, or posterior aspect). This muscle serves to lift the rectum somewhat so that the contents are easier to control. That is, when it lifts the rectum slightly it helps to control the emptying of the rectum, or it keeps the rectum from emptying spontaneously. This small muscle usually gets torn during anal intercourse. This makes it harder for CSA victims to control defecation.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.