Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
3 registered (focusedbody, sadclown, 1 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63218 Topics
442049 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#179909 - 09/12/07 06:52 PM MS Confrence: What is it like?
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
The last MS conference was back in 2004 I believe, so maybe there aren't too many people still on the board from back then but if any one has ever been to a MS confrence, I'd like to know what they thought and what it was like.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#179941 - 09/12/07 08:56 PM Re: MS Confrence: What is it like? [Re: onlyakid]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I've been to all of them except Orinda, CA in the mid-90s.

While I've been to dozens of confs for professionals, the MS conf is the only one that is a hybrid... that is for professionals and survivors. Having worked on a few, I can tell you that this is no small task. I've also been to confs for survivors, like VOICES.

Basically, the job of putting together workshops that are for professionals only or survivors only is a lot easier than doing a conf that brings both groups (plus, did I mention the professionals who are survivors?)

MS confs have a "safe room" for folks who are feeling overwhelmend and need to be in a quiet place or talk to a volunteer professional who can help manage any/most problems that might come up. So, if you're afraid you might lose it at the conf, be assured that everyone's safety is paramount and the MS conf staff have people who can help out

Staff are careful to look around for triggers that might set people off but bear in mind that one person's trigger may be so personal that staff won't know about it. (Say if you are triggered by blue shirts, who would know?) But obvious triggers are generally attended to. Bear in mind that we are using the facilities of John Jay College and can't take down an art piece that might be a little on the racy side which could trigger someone.

It's especially rewarding, in my experience, when you run into someone you know from chat or the discussion board. I hope there will be a way that folks can identify themselves by their nick if they choose to.

All in all, the conf is an exciting time and a chance to learn more and add to your resources for recovery.

Just my 2 cents.
Ken

#182610 - 09/26/07 10:55 PM Re: MS Confrence: What is it like? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Richard Gartner, PhD Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
I've been to all of them since 1994. The last one was in Minneapolis in 2003. I second everything Ken said.

What has been wonderful to see is that at every conference I have seen men for whom it was clearly a life-changing event. As important as the actual workshops and speakers (and some of them are terrific) is the experience of networking, slowly getting to know people over the several days, experiencing not being alone. And for people on this Discussion Board, it is a great opportunity to meet people you may have been chatting with for a long time (if you both want to come out from behind your screen name)

I hope to meet some of you there.

Richard

#182984 - 09/27/07 09:14 PM Re: MS Confrence: What is it like? [Re: Richard Gartner, PhD]
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
jtt5254,

I was at the conference in MN in 2003. It was a wonderful experience. I met guys I had known only online or over the phone. The seminars were well done. Mike Lew's pre-conference workshop, Ken's talk on confrontation, the Sweat Lodge, the "Blowin' In the Wind" banners, to name a few off the top of my head we made were all wonderful influences on me. I've been to one of the Weekends, too, since then, and they're not the same thing, but the Conference was a big, early step in healing for me.

This one is closer to me, but now I'm a single Dad and I don't see how I can make it. That's disappointing, but which of us wouldn't have wanted our parents or other adult caregivers to put us at the top of the list when we needed it?

You don't have to tell anyone who you are. You could attend sessions and never say, "I'm jtt5254 on the board." Or you could arrange to meet some of your friends from here, as I did. I bet you wouldn't regret that.

Thanks,

Joe

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.