Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
5 registered (JHNebraska, dan_in_newengland, pittsburgh, 2 invisible), 23 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447715 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#179871 - 09/12/07 01:37 PM Healing Circle for Family and Friends
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
I have been asked about the possiblity of starting a Healing Circle for those that are Family and Friend. We now have 4 Healing Circles going that are helping the guys deal with their issues in a whole new way.

The Healing Circles are a very simple concept. It is real time peer support over the internet. We meet the same time each week in a private chat room. Below is some info that is for the guys but it will give you some info on what this is all about. Some of you may have partner who are in a circle so you have a good idea about how it works and can share with the others.

I will help get it started but it would be your circle and you will need one or two persons to be the facilitator for the meetings. I think that it will be a great tool for understand our issues and support of each other.

If you would like to be part of this Healing Circle please reply here or PM me if you have any ????. Thanks, looking forward to helping you get your own Healing Circle going.

Tom

What are Healing Circles

A Healing Circle is a peer support group over the internet. Peer support groups can be a very powerful tool in the healing process. None of us is a trained therapist. We are simply survivors coming together to share our feelings. Therefore, we all take responsibility for making the meetings as safe and supportive as possible.

How it Works

We use the chat room format with a few changes. One of the members of the group is the facilitator who directs the meeting. Only one person is speaking at a time. It's a therapy type chat setup where each member can ask for time to discuss their issues and receive feedback from others. Much care is taken to avoid people being triggered. In order to have a open and truthful discussion of the issues, once formed groups will be closed meetings. The circles are a chance to get a little closer to the guys who meet with you every week ,it's comfortable, after a few meetings you get to know what to expect and what each persons needs and strengths are .
Many of us didn't really know what to expect from a group setting so possibly some guys are hesitant to join. Please read more so you understand what the Healing Circles are about

Why it Works

The Healing Circles are valuable resource for everyone. We all get an opportunity in the circle that many of us don't get in the outside world - the chance to share something that is pressing against our hearts, and to get some realtime feedback from people who at some level or another understand and feel that pain or concern. In turn, we all get an opportunity to help someone who is hurting and needs our support. That to me is what helps make this community a good one.

If you want to join us Please reply in this post or send Muldoon a PM

Below is some more information

Our Mission Statement.

We understand that the road is easier when not traveled alone and therefore the purpose of this circle is to provide a place of safety for men who as children or in adulthood have been victims of sexual abuse and or assault. Here, one can express his thoughts, fears, joys, or anger and know that his voice will be heard by others who will understand and validate him as a human being. Here, the focus is not so much on the past as it is on healing. Naturally the past and its abuse will come up from time to time but the purpose is to find a way through it to the healing that awaits on the other side. We will look at our journeys to see where we are on the road to healing and discuss things that work for us as well as things that do not. We will learn from the mistakes and successes of others and thus promote healing in our own lives.

Choice

If there is one thing that I have learned in my life it is that I have a problem. It is not my fault but the fact still remains; I have a problem. I did not choose to be sexually abused. The pedophile chose to abuse me. He did not ask my permission; he took what he wanted, leaving me wounded, confused and in pain.

So now it is my turn to choose. I can choose to stay here where I am and feel sorry for myself and try to convince or manipulate others to feel sorry for me too, after all, donít I deserve it. Or I can choose to seek heeling for my wounds. I can reclaim that which was taken from me. I can seek answers and relief from my pain.

Itís not my fault, but it is my problem. What I do about it is my choice. If like me, you are tired of being a victim, I encourage you to make a choice to heal, I invite you to join us here in The Healing Circle. Together we will travel a road that is not familiar to any of us but common to us all. We will support each other and lend a helping hand along the way.

This is not an easy road we travel and is not for the faint of heart but if you are serious about becoming a victor instead of a victim, by all means, join us. We are not super human nor do we claim to have all the answers. We are just a bunch of ordinary guys who want to use all the tools available to become the men we were created to be

#179873 - 09/12/07 01:55 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Muldoon]
healingpartner Offline

I would love to join if I may.

Lorie

#179883 - 09/12/07 03:17 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: healingpartner]
Wife Supporter Offline
New Here

Loc: UK
me too, please

#179898 - 09/12/07 05:00 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Wife Supporter]
selene Offline

Loc: midwest
... same here ... also, i would like to volunteer to facilitate and hope someone else will volunteer for that as well ...

selene

#179901 - 09/12/07 05:25 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: selene]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Selene

Thanks for volunteering to be the facilitor. It does make the job easier if there is a team of leaders, than you can take turns. Also thanks for asking me to get this started.

Once we see how many people want to be part of it than you should see what Day and time works best for you. The meetings run 2 hours long. Also you will have people from all over in different time zones, it can be hard to find a good time for all.

Tom

#179903 - 09/12/07 05:38 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Muldoon]
beccy Offline

Loc: england
I'd like to join definately. Great idea.

Beccy

#179907 - 09/12/07 06:19 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: beccy]
violet Offline

Loc: US
I would like to be part of the group as well.

V.

#179916 - 09/12/07 07:08 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: violet]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

cool------------one big happy family

#179933 - 09/12/07 08:00 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: sabata]
selene Offline

exactly steve \:\)

#179946 - 09/12/07 09:53 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: selene]
savemyfam Offline

Loc: Chicago
While I would love to join, I feel that I'm in a totally different spot than everyone else. My husband and I are seperated for one and he is not only not working on recovering, he is still in complete denial - about many things.

I find it hard at times to relate to all of you wonderful women - I think I'm better at this point putting my 2 cents in to everyone else's struggles than relating to dealing with a partner that is working on his issues.

#179957 - 09/12/07 11:22 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: savemyfam]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

The Healing Circles are here to share what you want to when you want to. No one pushes you to say a word. It may help just to listen to others and that is good.

Tom

#179987 - 09/13/07 08:49 AM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: savemyfam]
sweet-n-sour Offline

Loc: chicago
I would probably benefit from joining as well. What an awesome idea!

S-n-S

cm 2007

#180028 - 09/13/07 11:50 AM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: sweet-n-sour]
Agape Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I'd like to give it a go...

Kelly

(especially love that is spiritual in nature)

#180104 - 09/13/07 04:20 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Agape Girl]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Anyone who would be willing to facilitate, I will be happy to help train on facilitation particulars, guidelines, etc.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#180115 - 09/13/07 05:48 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: FormerTexan]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Andy

#180116 - 09/13/07 05:51 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Muldoon]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Please send me a PM if you are interested in facilitating. We can set up a date and time to go to the chat if you like, and go over details. I will be leaving town tonight, but will be back late Sunday evening.

Andy

1. That

#180134 - 09/13/07 07:37 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: FormerTexan]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andy Have A real Great healing experense this week end in the Mountains of Alta. I can only tell you that the Weekend of Recovery at Alta changed my life in so many positive way.

I am going to leave this post up for another week. We already have one gal who said she would take the lead but hopefully someone else with help out. I know it works well to have a team for our Wed Healing Circle.

Have a great weekend, Talk next week

Tom

#180148 - 09/13/07 08:38 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Muldoon]
healingpartner Offline

I might be able to help depending on the night. Kids activities are picking up, and rob is in 2 groups. So put me down as a solid maybe for helping facilitate...lol

Lorie

#180149 - 09/13/07 08:50 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: healingpartner]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lorie finding a good time may be the trick. I will send out a group PM next week and we can begin to talk about what time works best for all. Sure we can come up with one.

Thanks for taken a leadership role. It is cool that both of you already have a partner in a Healing Circle. You can gain a little insite from them.

Tom

#180699 - 09/16/07 11:40 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Muldoon]
selene Offline

... that's great that so many are interested \:\) ... and thanks tom for getting this all set up ... lorie, that would be great if you helped facilitate ... i've volunteered, too ... maybe we could work as a team ...

#180706 - 09/17/07 01:43 AM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: selene]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am very excited about the Healing possibilities the circle can bring to the partners here. You gals have so many questions that need to be ansewered.

I have been totally overcome by feeling this week with the birth of my grandson Sage. He makes me know that I have to continue to work to change the world so he and others of his generation will never have to go through what we have. I feel so lucky to still have my wife at my side during this time of my life.

It saddens me greatly to think that there are so many other guys who no longer have wifes at theirs side. The effects that the SA has on our partners can be overwellming at times and in the past there hasn't been the help. I hope that we can team up once a month with you gals in a joint Circle. Sure I can get some of the guys to join to have a round table discussion on topics you think are important.

There is still room for more partners in this circle, hope that a few more of you step up to take advanage of this opertunity.

Tom

Edited by Muldoon (09/17/07 09:53 AM)

#180714 - 09/17/07 02:54 AM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Muldoon]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

The Greatest Act of LOVE

made a new post of my reply

Tom

Edited by Muldoon (09/17/07 09:43 AM)

#180718 - 09/17/07 07:33 AM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Muldoon]
pain4ever Offline

Tom,

"There is still room for more gals in this circle, hope that a few more of you step up to take advanage of this opertunity."

What about those of us who don't have gals as partners??? Are our "guys" welcomed too?? Would the ladies have an issue with that?

Brian

#180727 - 09/17/07 09:07 AM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: pain4ever]
Wife Supporter Offline
New Here

Loc: UK
No issue for me
WS

#180745 - 09/17/07 10:00 AM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Wife Supporter]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Brian sorry about my narrow thinking on this. Only gals had signed up.

Tom

#180783 - 09/17/07 12:51 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Muldoon]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
I thought of this while I was driving back from Utah yesterday. It occurred to me that the concept of "Family and Friends" indeed encompasses both genders. Focusing on issues resulting from F&F discussions in real-time I believe will benefit both genders who are on the F&F side of their relationship.

Andy

1. That

#180786 - 09/17/07 01:24 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: FormerTexan]
pain4ever Offline

I just want to make sure none of the Ladies who are here would be uncomfortable with it. My partner could use some support and I think it might do him some good but i didnt know how the ladies would react to it?

#180797 - 09/17/07 02:32 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: pain4ever]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Well, ladies, it sounds like pian4ever might be looking for some feedback on this. Would anyone like to add their thoughts? We have heard from Wife Supporter. Don't be shy all. \:\)

Andy

1. That

#180820 - 09/17/07 05:15 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: FormerTexan]
sweet-n-sour Offline

Loc: chicago
I believe having the partners of male survivor's on board would be of great benefit. The more perspectives and experiences that we share, the greater the potential we all have to learn from one another, support and find the best direction for a better quality of life.

S-n-S

cm 2007

#181121 - 09/18/07 10:14 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: sweet-n-sour]
Agape Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
No problem here at all, in fact placed this post on the counter hoping my bf would take a peek, guess it's still to early. I would benefit from us sitting here in the circle together, but I guess it's just me for now.

I know SOMEDAY, we can though

(especially love that is spiritual in nature)

#181130 - 09/18/07 11:28 PM Re: Healing Circle for Family and Friends [Re: Agape Girl]
Brokenhearted Offline

Loc: TX
I would like to join this...not sure if I can make every session but would like to be included just in case...

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Luke 17:2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.