Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
3 registered (96789594, pattom, 1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63230 Topics
442163 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#179860 - 09/12/07 12:43 PM Psychiatrist?
Wife Supporter Offline
New Here

Loc: UK
Hi,

I wondered if anybody could offer any advice my husband has been seeing a therapist through our gp for several months for CSa related issues, she has now refered him to a psychiatrist for extra help, he didn't ask at the time if its because of anything specific, and to make matters more complicated she could have said psychologist because he didn't know they are different.

Has anybody else had this experience, obviously Im not expecting anybody to diagnose him but I have suspected he may have a name to his issues in particular PTSD, would she refer him to get a proper diagnosis, I have no experience of mental health.

Will he get extra therapies or just a diagnosis?

I know he should just ask but he intends to but gets scared to know the answer.

Many Thanks WS

#179868 - 09/12/07 01:31 PM Re: Psychiatrist? [Re: Wife Supporter]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Hi WS,

Just a thought, but his T may think he needs meds and for that, he'd have to see a psychiatrist if his T is uncomfortable with asking the GP to prescribe them. The T may also want another pair of eyes, so to speak, to help him in treating your husband.

ROCK ON..........Trish

#179877 - 09/12/07 02:37 PM Re: Psychiatrist? [Re: Trish4850]
Agape Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Exactly what I was going to say, possible meds

(especially love that is spiritual in nature)

#179882 - 09/12/07 03:16 PM Re: Psychiatrist? [Re: Agape Girl]
Wife Supporter Offline
New Here

Could be, although he has been on meds for 9 months,
though he has needed to change brands 3 times trying to get it right, maybe she wants to look into that more?

#179899 - 09/12/07 05:09 PM Re: Psychiatrist? [Re: Wife Supporter]
selene Offline

Loc: midwest
... ws ... i think you'd have to know exactly what she recommended before making any judgments on why she did so ... can you call and ask her who she recommended for your husband and why?

hugs,
selene

#179900 - 09/12/07 05:16 PM Re: Psychiatrist? [Re: selene]
kellygtx Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Wife Supporter -

Does he have any other medical issues? I was referred to a psychiatrist who is also board certified as a neurologist. It can help a great deal if he also has medical issues.

Kelly

The time is always NOW. Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

#179938 - 09/12/07 08:31 PM Re: Psychiatrist? [Re: Wife Supporter]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
He does not need to per se see a psychiatrist to be given a diagnosis because a licsenced therapist can do this but thy are not allowed to "treat" with medication.

Asfar as more sessions,from my experience it's up to him if he wants to be seen more then once a week and/or more then he normally does.

Ptsd is not easy to diagnos because it has several symptoms that can be misleading,is he sober or does he drink because some if not all symptoms can be masked by the drinking alone.

I can promise you that support is vital to both of your healing.

Coopstah

#180273 - 09/14/07 11:36 AM Re: Psychiatrist? [Re: thecoopstah]
Wife Supporter Offline
New Here

thanks everybody, I suppose we just have to wait, I suspect it's because of his meds, everything is such a long drawn out process, for the best somethimes I suppose.

Thanks All

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.