Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
1 registered (pattom), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443082 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#179736 - 09/11/07 08:54 PM EMDR for the first time
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
As usual i had therapy today and my T and i did EMDR and it was mind blowing bar none.

I went through so many emotions i'm now emotionally drained to the point of exhaustion.It was nothing remotely close to what i thought it would be in that i knew i'd spiral downward, i knew it would be rough on me, i knew it was something that had the pontential to hurt me further however i also knew it could help me in ways therapy per se could never do itself.

I still have mixed feelings about doing it again because it leaves you in a state of numbness.

I disacosiated several times during the session and cried uncontrolably.During one episode i felt as though i was floating and my entire body was numb.

I can only speak from my experience but i will tell anyone who is thinking about trying out this process to be real careful for alot of rapid fire thoughts/feelings you may not be ready for,but most importantly your "safety" is paramount and anything less then that is unacceptable.

Be aware though it can really give you a perspective you might not have otherwise if you did not at least try it.

Coop

#179744 - 09/11/07 09:40 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: thecoopstah]
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

glad you posted this C -- I feel the same way. so tiring. so much comes up that i have found myself needing to get anti-anxiety meds to cope with the after-effects.

i dissociated alot and at one point literally could not feel my body. but overall, if done carefully, it is amazing. seems like it is really important to figure out and obey your own limits.

good luck dude.

Edited by testingWaters (09/12/07 12:01 AM)

#179757 - 09/11/07 11:38 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: testingWaters]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am sure i'll be ok however i am also sure the emotional impact it will have on me over the next few days or weeks even will be interesting indeed.

#179769 - 09/12/07 01:31 AM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: thecoopstah]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
im lost what is EMDR?

#179792 - 09/12/07 08:45 AM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: theatrekid]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
This is from my book that is in editing stage:
Ken

EMDR

One form of treatment that has shown good results with trauma is called Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. It is widely used in treating veterans with PTSD as well as police and firefighters who have experienced trauma as a result of their official duties. It is also effective for many survivors of sexual abuse.

EMDR is a technique that has the person identify what the trauma looks like. It might be a single incident or a series of ongoing events. The person gives a “snapshot” de>

Edited by Ken Singer, LCSW (09/12/07 08:48 AM)

#179835 - 09/12/07 11:24 AM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: thecoopstah]
violet Offline

Loc: US
Coopstah, I actually had to read a bit about EMDR because I had never heard of it before. I'm sorry it was so exhausting. I'm only beginning to understand a little of what a CSA survivor goes through and am awed by the bravery each of you show in recovery.

I really hope EMDR is helpful and I'm glad you have a GF who is supportive of you. Take care.

V.

#179841 - 09/12/07 11:53 AM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: theatrekid]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

EMDR is "eye movement desensitization .....im not sure what the R stands for.............google it and type in emdr ....good luck it has alot of links you can read about how it works and all its benifits and struggles.

Coop

#179845 - 09/12/07 12:00 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: violet]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am only now feeling the day after how much of a toll it has taken on me and the way i feel is tired and very cautious..

No one will ever stop me from healing and becoming the man i have always wanted to become......

My therapist even cried because of how strong she said i (am) was....

Do you know anyone who has dealt with emdr........

You're correct saying how strong we can be although i sure didn't feel that way yesterday...

Coop

#179861 - 09/12/07 12:57 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: thecoopstah]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: thecoopstah
EMDR is "eye movement desensitization .....im not sure what the R stands for.............

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing

The theory is that bilateral stimulation (achieved by following the "bouncing ball" from left to right with the eyes only) somehow accesses the memory portion of the brain including the emotional components of the memory, allowing them to be processed in a healing way instead of being stored as a traumatic memory that affects the entire being. The bilateral stimulation can be accomplished visually, audibly, and through the use of alternately buzzing pods held in the hands or on the thigh.

It's been accredited by many major mental health organizations world-wide, and is recognized as a primary treatment for PTSD by the American Psychological Association.

The long and the short of it is, it works fast and well for most people, often times without "reliving" the memories as they are processed.

Edited by Dewey2k (09/12/07 01:02 PM)

#179870 - 09/12/07 01:32 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: Dewey2k]
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

To add to this for posterity -- EMDR was apparently used pretty widely with 9/11 and Katrina survivors.

Someone told me it was pioneered in the Canadian prison system. And apparently structured to be immediately useful in small 90 min blocks because, due to prison bureaucracy, therapists could never be certain a prisoner would be back for another session (ie transferred, therapy cut off suddenly, etc). I don't have a reference for this but it makes some sense.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.