Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
3 registered (learning2remember, journey4two, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63402 Topics
443275 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#179727 - 09/11/07 08:20 PM EMDR for the first time
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
As usual i had therapy today and my T and i did EMDR and it was mind blowing bar none.

I went through so many emotions i'm now emotionally drained to the point of exhaustion.It was nothing remotely close to what i thought it would be in that i knew i'd spiral downward, i knew it would be rough on me, i knew it was something that had the pontential to hurt me further however i also knew it could help me in ways therapy per se could never do itself.

I still have mixed feelings about doing it again because it leaves you in a state of numbness.

I disacosiated several times during the session and cried uncontrolably.During one episode i felt as though i was floating and my entire body was numb.

I can only speak from my experience but i will tell anyone who is thinking about trying out this process to be real careful for alot of rapid fire thoughts/feelings you may not be ready for,but most importantly your "safety" is paramount and anything less then that is unacceptable.

Be aware though it can really give you a perspective you might not have otherwise if you did not at least try it.

Coop

#179770 - 09/12/07 01:33 AM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: thecoopstah]
Frog Offline

Loc: Arizona

Hey Coop...

I'm actually scheduled for my first EMDR session on Friday...
only the second session w/ my psychologist....

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#179839 - 09/12/07 11:51 AM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: Frog]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
I only hope for you that you're ready to take this on.

Coop

#179850 - 09/12/07 12:07 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: thecoopstah]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

EMDR does a lot of work in a short amount of time. I didn't experience the same dissociation that Coop did, but I did get hit with the emotional barrage. It takes me a while to recover afterwards.

#179859 - 09/12/07 12:42 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: Dewey2k]
Bobby Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona
Yeah, know the feeling. Sometimes they're like one giant flashback for me. Many times I have to sit in the therapist's office for a while before I can drive home. After one session, there was no way I could drive, so I sat down in the waiting room. There was a lady there with me, and I didn't want to upset her, so I picked up a magazine and pretended to read it while I got myself together. Trouble is, I couldn't help myself and tears started to roll down my cheeks. She must have thought that was the saddest issue of "Science Digest" ever written.

Bobby

#179906 - 09/12/07 06:02 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: Bobby]
bp83 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
What is EMDR?? I feel numb in my therapy sessions

"Life is for living, we all know, and I don't want to live it alone..."-Chris Martin

#179913 - 09/12/07 07:00 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: bp83]
emptydreamer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Midwest USA
Hey coop,

What you describe sounds very intense, especially with the warnings you posted, more than once.

I like some, am not sure what EMDR even is.

Would it be possible for you to explain in a little more detail for those of us who aren't really up to speed on what this process really entails. If it is not, I'm sure we all would understand.
I kind of got cold chills just reading and thinking about how intense it must be.

Best wishes and warmest regards,
Scott

#179914 - 09/12/07 07:03 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: emptydreamer]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

From another thread...

Originally Posted By: thecoopstah
EMDR is "eye movement desensitization .....im not sure what the R stands for.............

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing

The theory is that bilateral stimulation (achieved by following the "bouncing ball" from left to right with the eyes only) somehow accesses the memory portion of the brain including the emotional components of the memory, allowing them to be processed in a healing way instead of being stored as a traumatic memory that affects the entire being. The bilateral stimulation can be accomplished visually, audibly, and through the use of alternately buzzing pods held in the hands or on the thigh.

It's been accredited by many major mental health organizations world-wide, and is recognized as a primary treatment for PTSD by the American Psychological Association.

The long and the short of it is, it works fast and well for most people, often times without "reliving" the memories as they are processed.

#179919 - 09/12/07 07:26 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: Dewey2k]
emptydreamer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Midwest USA
Thanks Dewey2k,

That is an excellent de>

#179921 - 09/12/07 07:28 PM Re: EMDR for the first time [Re: emptydreamer]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Glad I could help. There is a lot of literature on it on the net if you google it.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.