Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
1 registered (aniceguy), 28 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63648 Topics
444519 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#178554 - 09/06/07 01:43 AM Oliver Twist
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
i feel stupid for saying this cus its like a kid story but i was watching it the other day and i freaked out for what ever reason it reminded me of abuse i couldnt watch it.

#178583 - 09/06/07 08:44 AM Re: Oliver Twist [Re: theatrekid]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Chris,

Do not feel badly about yourself in this. I watched the film a while back and was quite triggered in places and had some difficulty myself. I think that feeling we git is a natural result of knowing what it feels like to be put in the kind of position Oliver was. It shows that our heart is not dead but living, strong, and compassionate.

Lots of love,

John

#178684 - 09/06/07 04:05 PM Re: Oliver Twist [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Chris,

On that particular film, yep, I agree with John as usual \:\) . And remember that Oliver was being manipulated and mistreated and Dickens' book is really a pretty dark tale, even in the toned-down film versions we usually see.

You may find that all kinds of things trigger you. That is, they don't have to be scary or threatening in themselves; it's just that they connect somehow with what happened to you and set off in your mind memories and feelings from those bad times.

For example, the man who abused me used a lot of a certain sweet after-shave. There's of course nothing frightening or dangerous about after-shave, right? But for a long time, when I smelled that brand, then in my mind it triggered that connection with the abuser and brought back the bad memories and feelings.

A therapist can usually help you with this kind of thing, Chris. Just remember you're not "losing it" or overreacting. This kind of thing often happens to survivors, and when it does, the best thing to do is exactly what you are doing - talking about it.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#178803 - 09/06/07 10:14 PM Re: Oliver Twist [Re: roadrunner]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks guys.

.Chris

#178865 - 09/07/07 07:35 AM Re: Oliver Twist [Re: theatrekid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm a closet Dickens fan, and Oliver Twist happens to be my favorite Dickens tale.

Just recently, I was rereading this Dickens tale prior to seeing Roman Polanski's version of the movie, and on page 411 of my Everyman's Library copy, a dialogue between Dickens and Fagan that was highly triggering to me came to fruition with Oliver's words "Oh! God forgive this wretched man!" I broke down and cried.

And when I watched Polanski's movie shortly therafter, I broke down and cried during the scene where they depicted this confrontation.

This book is, in my opinion, one of the strongest pieces of literature ever written, and Polanski's movie actually does it some justice.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#179038 - 09/07/07 07:25 PM Re: Oliver Twist [Re: BJK]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

in a few months i will have to give it another try. i shut it off after just once scene it was bothering me to much.

,Chris

#179040 - 09/07/07 07:34 PM Re: Oliver Twist [Re: theatrekid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Chris,

That sounds like a good idea and I'm glad you're "taking care of Chris". When something comes up - a film, a song, a situation, whatever - and it really bothers you and you feel yourself being badly affected, just get yourself out. Do what's best for you. You don't owe the world explanations, and if you want to say something it doesn't have to be more than "I just had to get out; I can't go into it more right now."

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.