Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
3 registered (Bloom, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63801 Topics
445520 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#178410 - 09/05/07 04:08 PM Username.
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

How did you guys pick your usernames?

Alex helped me pick my new one, he inspired me to change it from Demonboi to my name which is Nyjah. \:\)

#178411 - 09/05/07 04:10 PM Re: Username. [Re: Nyjah]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I did not pick it. I was not able to sign up, for some reason, me and my friend tried lot of times over a week or such, to get me registered. Finally, one of the moderaters (I think) say to send to them the information and they would register me. I was going to register under 'androshkarova', which is a nickname. But I think he think it was my full name, so register only the initials, AK. It is strange, they are initials, but they are not even my real ones, except the A is right.

Andrei

#178413 - 09/05/07 04:13 PM Re: Username. [Re: Nyjah]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I grew up partway in the state of Texas. I never considered myself a true Texan in any sense, but since I lived there, and that's where a lot of abuse garbage happened to me, I figured it would make a decent-enough name for me on the site. The year I left Texas was also the time I stopped calling myself "Andrew."

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#178415 - 09/05/07 04:17 PM Re: Username. [Re: ak]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
The old "Roadrunner and Coyote" cartoons were my favorites when I was a boy and I continue to get a kick out of them. My family still gets me Roadrunner T-shirts, mugs, stuffed animals, etc., and there are a lot of happy memories there. My sister Cathie and I especially used to just sit laughing hysterically as poor Coyote fails again.

Cathie has helped me a lot all through my recovery, and when I registered here and was thinking of a user name, "Roadrunner" seemed the obvious choice. When I told Cath I had come here and registered, I asked her to guess the user name I had chosen and she laughed and said, "Roadrunner of course!!!!" \:D

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#178417 - 09/05/07 04:21 PM Re: Username. [Re: FormerTexan]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: FormerTexan
The year I left Texas was also the time I stopped calling myself "Andrew."

Andrew? Andrew????? Hmmmmmmm.

Nope. No way. The guy I know is 100% through and through "Andy". ;\) That so totally works!

Much pondering,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#178419 - 09/05/07 04:29 PM Re: Username. [Re: FormerTexan]
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Nyjah,

Well, when I first came here, I wanted to tell my story and I thought the best way was to lay it on the line. I am a victim of abuse through the scouting program. So, hence the name.

The funny thing, when I first signed on to chat, I had a blond moment, and misunderstood the sign up screen. So now I go by two different names. In chat I am known by my real name. I don't mind, because I am tired of keeping secrets.

So that is the story.

TTYL,
Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#178447 - 09/05/07 07:28 PM Re: Username. [Re: Scoutvictim]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

sabata----------------------look up spaghetti westerns-----------name of a gun fighter----------------steve---------------------------

#178456 - 09/05/07 07:44 PM Re: Username. [Re: sabata]
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Well mine I'd say is obvious enough..

But Irishguy comes from the fact that I am an Irish guy, plus it kinda has ring to it.

Dean.

#178464 - 09/05/07 07:53 PM Re: Username. [Re: irishguy]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

BJK are my initials.

The B stands for Bryan.

The J stands for John.

(which explains my chat name bjohn13)

The K, I'll keep to myself even though, for the record, I know of two other people in the US who share my exact name, one of whom used to live in my city. There is a third with a slight variation on spelling.

I've gone by all of these names at one time or another. In my personal life, I tend to go by my last name mostly because I work with a Brian, a Bryon, and two Ryans.

I like to go by Bryan here (though "John" is quite acceptable).

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#178467 - 09/05/07 08:01 PM Re: Username. [Re: BJK]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

when i was a kid i was my brothers shadow ,=shadowkid

#178472 - 09/05/07 08:11 PM Re: Username. [Re: shadowkid]
buzz_key Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
mine is my real name...not very original, huh?

#178475 - 09/05/07 08:19 PM Re: Username. [Re: shadowkid]
healing_inside Offline
MaleSurvivor

My first user name here was jims_recovery.

I changed it to healing_inside because that is something i desired to see happen to me.

It also is constant reminder that healing is happening inside be it painful and slow.

-Jim

*** WoR Retreat Alumni - Alta 2005 ***

#178531 - 09/05/07 11:37 PM Re: Username. [Re: healing_inside]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
my user name is my innitials reversed followed by my first name - seems simple enough - but it's kinda symbolic to me

the reversed initials represent the messed up (backwards of the way it should of been) way I was raised for 18 years

the j in jeff is not capitolized on purpose - it is a reminder to myself that the little me is still inside of me

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#178532 - 09/05/07 11:42 PM Re: Username. [Re: TJ jeff]
Frog Offline

Loc: Arizona

Shortened nick name I've had since grade school:

frog-eyes : Frog

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#178540 - 09/06/07 12:42 AM Re: Username. [Re: Frog]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
General Hauser was the only German General during WWII that defied one of Hitler's direct orders (Do not surrender Kharkov, fight to the last man) and was not executed or relieved of command for fleeing the city before it was cut off and surrounded by the Russians.

He COULD have bowed to his authority, but he DEFIED it and LIVED to fight future battles. He had GUTS......misguided as he was, and was admired by the men he commanded. He had a nickname: "Papa" Hauser. He was like a father figure to the fighting men in the German Army, who's lives weren't worth very much on the Eastern Front.

Incidentally, I ran across my 2ond grade classroom picture, and in it is a girl named "Peggy Hauser", I DON'T REMEMBER HER, but she's sitting their right next to me, weird. I wonder what became of her. I hope she's better off than me.

#178543 - 09/06/07 01:09 AM Re: Username. [Re: Hauser]
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
It's a diminutive of my first name, Roman-ized. I think normally people would spell it 'Lyosha' in Roman alphabet, but then it is pronounced 'Lie-osha', and that just annoys me.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#178553 - 09/06/07 01:36 AM Re: Username. [Re: Leosha]
brokensoul Offline

I guess mine is just the way that I feel and have felt since my teen years. My SA is only part of it though. There have been many times and many ways that my soul has been broken.

But don't let it fool you I'm putting the pieces back together with some strong glue and even a bit of crazy glue. Though the fracture lines surely show I'm plenty strong enough to hold together.

Brokensoul

#178556 - 09/06/07 03:49 AM Re: Username. [Re: brokensoul]
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey, I forgot to put this, but if you don't feel comfortable telling about your username, please don't feel pressured to answer.

#178557 - 09/06/07 03:58 AM Re: Username. [Re: brokensoul]
Ikelives Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
Dwight David Eisenhower was elected President about the time I was born. Dwight David was to have been my name and was changed to Irvin Dwight as my mother could not stand anyone thinking that she had just simply named me after the President. So then I end up named after my paternal grandfather named Irvin, of course. The one who would verbally abuse and rape me for at least a decade.

As you may know, Ike was Eisenhower's nickname and you could say, he changed history for me and my name is Dwight too. I was originally on this site as Ike, then my computer crashed and it was some time before I came back on the site, I could not remember how to enter as Ike so I was told to set up a new user name and so Ikelives is born. "Lives" came about due to the fact that I was unsure if I would live through childhood, but I did and I still live.

#178566 - 09/06/07 05:58 AM Re: Username. [Re: Ikelives]
trusty Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Indiana, USA
I'm the youngest of 8 kids, and because of my abuse, I think I worked so hard to never do anything wrong...I always wanted people to know that I was trustworthy (I failed, of course). So, when I came to this site, I was afraid to post my real childhood name nickname, "Rusty," so I went with "Trusty." In the chatroom, I'm REJ, which are my initials. And, slowly, I've been using my actual name, "Russ," so I know everyone is probably really confused why all these people are the same person.

Well, at least I can say that this place is a blessing to me and not so scary anymore. Thanks to all of you for that...

Love,
trusty/rusty/rej/russ

#178569 - 09/06/07 07:39 AM Re: Username. [Re: trusty]
jessedawg Offline

Loc: New York
i did a month with the fire dawg incident command unit - dawg stands for Disaster Assistance and Wildfire Group. my first name is Jesse so they gave me the nickname and it stuck.

#178585 - 09/06/07 08:53 AM Re: Username. [Re: jessedawg]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I actually picked the name walkingsouth after a long day at work where we were having some mechanical difficulties and I had to spend most of the day lying on the floor in sub freezing weather working on a machine. I usually get to spend most of my time in an office but our mechanic was out sick so the repair was left to me.

At the close of the day I told myself I was headed south to warmer places even if I had to walk to get there.

Later that evening I was picking out an email address for my now defunct AOL account and thought of "walkingsouth". I kept it and eventually used it here when I signed up.

#178589 - 09/06/07 09:06 AM Re: Username. [Re: WalkingSouth]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

hmmm ... according to my profile, my "username" is denver_mark - so I'm not sure what "MarkK" is (except my name and last initial, of course).

Anyhoo - I suppose "denver_mark" is fairly obvious and any explanation would be redundant at best...

M

#178590 - 09/06/07 09:09 AM Re: Username. [Re: WalkingSouth]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
MemoryVault came to me when I joined this site--I just felt I had a lot of secrets trapped inside me, some true, some false, some inaccessible, some distorted, and I was struggling with the question of whether this stuff was better sealed off or opened up.

I couldn't (and still can't) decide how much I want to deal with memories or just treat the past as a big black box and focus on my life now.

#178600 - 09/06/07 10:06 AM Re: Username. [Re: MemoryVault]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
When I joined last March, I was trying desparately to relate to the little boy who was abused... I was known as Danny when I was little - still am to my family - and "m" is my last initial.

I also mistunderstoond when signing up for chat, and used my real name there... I, too, am tired of secrets - so that is ok with me.

Dan

Marge Simpson

#178602 - 09/06/07 10:13 AM Re: Username. [Re: dannym]
pain4ever Offline

I chose "pain4ever" 6 years ago when i first started my healing journey. It has two meanings...

1. I thought at the time that this emotional pain from my abuse would last forever.

The second reason has to do with an incident when I was 16...I was in a car accident...driving...that killed my best friend...my first love...I carry that pain that guilt still today.

Brian

#178606 - 09/06/07 10:25 AM Re: Username. [Re: pain4ever]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dewey was a nickname I got in high school from my baseball coach. When I tried to register the name at a webmail provider in 2000 some time, and the name was taken. So I added a 2k to the end, as in Y2K, or 2000. I've had the alias since.

#178613 - 09/06/07 10:42 AM Re: Username. [Re: shadowkid]
kellygtx Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Hey All -

I just put together a name when I signed on for the first time - never knowing how much I would get from this sight.

I would like to change my screen name now - and my chat name to be the same. How can i do that? Can it be done??

Any help would be appreciated...

Kelly

The time is always NOW. Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

#178765 - 09/06/07 07:46 PM Re: Username. [Re: shadowkid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

this has turned into a pretty awesome discussion. Thanks, Nyjah, for starting it...and thanks to everyone else for contributing.

I feel kind of uncreative after reading many of the other responses.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#178770 - 09/06/07 07:55 PM Re: Username. [Re: BJK]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Bryan,

I think my friend "EGL" will especially appreciate your member name.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#178775 - 09/06/07 08:32 PM Re: Username. [Re: FormerTexan]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

My name comes from the words "Mellifera" (meaning "honey bee") and "feral" (meaning "wild"). I picked it because I'm a beekeeper.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#178779 - 09/06/07 08:37 PM Re: Username. [Re: shadowkid]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
take a wild guess....

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#178781 - 09/06/07 08:40 PM Re: Username. [Re: Still]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

you're favorite opera singer??

\:\)

#178802 - 09/06/07 10:04 PM Re: Username. [Re: MarkK]
Maxx Offline

Loc: Ohio
For many years now, Max is a stage name I've used to play music. I added the extra "x" because I like the way it looks.

I've always hated the sound of my own name; I feel like I'm going to be yelled at (Hmm ... probably some issues there). I've been seriously considering changing my to Max.

Maxx

#178824 - 09/06/07 10:50 PM Re: Username. [Re: Maxx]
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
"Brian" it's what my mama named me

#178825 - 09/06/07 10:52 PM Re: Username. [Re: brian-z]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
okay I know you've all been waiting for me, lol.

Mog = one cats name, amigo = another cats name

not as exotic as it sounds eh \:\)

Stay strong
Mike

#178826 - 09/06/07 10:53 PM Re: Username. [Re: mogigo]
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

It is just my intitials.

VN

#178833 - 09/06/07 11:10 PM Re: Username. [Re: VN]
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

terrified to be here for the first time - it was meant to sound kind of tentative - like, just seeing how the water is....wish i could change it now

#179017 - 09/07/07 04:32 PM Re: Username. [Re: testingWaters]
blacken Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern Ohio
I used to be "Black Leaves", many yrs ago. It had to do with a certain memory. One where after being abused I looked up and saw the, Black Leaves of the trees over the moon at night. It was one of the first memories that came back to me after 25 yrs of repressing them.
I changed my name to "Blacken" because I was tried of explaining "Black Leaves".
I found that Blacken fit me better anyways.
I feel it represents the dark side of my existence that I can vent & share here.
It also represents the old life that I once lived, a burned, ashen, blacken, and terribly painfull one, for me.
Its a reminder of what was, how very far I have come.

#179036 - 09/07/07 07:22 PM Re: Username. [Re: MarkK]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: MarkK
you're favorite opera singer??

\:\)

Silly boy, Mark. "Robbie Brown" is a species of redwood tree.

L.

(Woody Guthrie)

#179037 - 09/07/07 07:24 PM Re: Username. [Re: FormerTexan]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Nyjah,

What a cool idea for a thread! I'm really enjoying the opportunity to see what all these names refer to and how guys picked them. Thanks for thinking of this.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#179039 - 09/07/07 07:28 PM Re: Username. [Re: roadrunner]
buzz_key Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Larry...you have an awesome sense of humor.

#179061 - 09/07/07 08:23 PM Re: Username. [Re: roadrunner]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: roadrunner
Silly boy, Mark. "Robbie Brown" is a species of redwood tree.

If you have ever walked thru the redwoods during a steady breeze - you've heard them sing...

M

#179084 - 09/07/07 09:56 PM Re: Username. [Re: MarkK]
Paul1959 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
Mine is pretty boring. My name and the year I was born. After spending a lot of time acting out on the internet, It was an attempt to be real once and for all on here. And this place has helped me stay real.

By the way, I was gone for the summer. nice to be back on here and seeing the old guys as well as the new ones. Reentry is sort of hard. love ya'll.
Paul

#179085 - 09/07/07 10:02 PM Re: Username. [Re: MarkK]
ca_tallguy Offline
New Here

Loc: California
In the early days of the net, and when I was a lot younger, I went by tallboy. Getting a little old to be a "boy" now, so started using tallguy. But there are a lot more tall people online these days using similar names. So, now I'm CA_Tallguy to differentiate and since I'm a southern california native.

#179095 - 09/08/07 12:50 AM Re: Username. [Re: FormerTexan]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
I guess that OKIEMIKE is better than HILLBILLY MIKE.
But I live in the most beautiful place on earth. The Oklahoma hills of the Ozark Mountains . ( at least I think that it is the most beautiful place on earth )

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#179192 - 09/08/07 09:58 PM Re: Username. [Re: shadowkid]
KeithR Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Georgia
Originally Posted By: shadowkid
when i was a kid i was my brothers shadow ,=shadowkid

I like how your chose that Adam.

#179195 - 09/08/07 10:10 PM Re: Username. [Re: KeithR]
KeithR Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Georgia
Wow, Nyjah this is a really good thread. It's been really intereting how people have chosen their names. Often it been like you did at first, because of feelings they had when they first came here. I like that people have commented on a change in how they feel since beginning recovery. It shows hope for new members \:\)

We, me.... I chose my name.... cuz I have no imagination.

Keith

#179208 - 09/08/07 11:47 PM Re: Username. *DELETED* [Re: KeithR]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by ttoon

#179226 - 09/09/07 03:03 AM Re: Username. [Re: ttoon]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Dave,

Originally Posted By: ttoon
I love the old cartoons. "What's Opera Doc" is my favorite. It is about eigteen minutes long. But then...the old ones were made for the movie theater. You always got a cartoon before the movie.

I remember that too! I always used to go nuts when we went to the movies and got a Warner Brothers cartoon. \:\)

And "What's Opera Doc"...what a classic!!!

Kill the wabbit,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.