Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
4 registered (aniceguy, traveler, 2 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445534 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#178003 - 09/03/07 09:10 AM brain chemicals and "need" for job change
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

First of all, I'm going to paste a short brief I read about dopamine deficiency.

You’ll develop a Need-for-Change Panic. You’ll begin thinking a change in lifestyle (Midlife Crisis!), a divorce, an extramarital affair, a new job, or a Corvette will change your mood. About 70 percent of jobs are lost at this time as depressed individuals gradually fade away from their life. Most extramarital affairs occur at this time.

http://www.womensaccounts.com/mental_health_Carver_neurotrasmitter.html

Ok, here's where I'm at. Thinking a job change would make me happier, freer, AND I'm 36. Prime time. So, according to the article, I need to balance dopamine levels, and I've done quite a bit of reading.

My question? When is a "job change" worth it? I don't know what to do.

I will be starting iodine supplementation today, as I've heard this has a dramatic effect on depression, fatigue, and overall "with-it-ness". And not enough dopamine leaves my head swimming, not able to communicate effectively and consistently.

Also, I'm weaning Zoloft. I've been on it for 3 years, and I want to "feel" again. I'm coming back, but there's more work and time involved.

Who else out there is also very mental health minded? I told my wife, "everything I do (healthwise) is for my mental health". There was no shock or judgement on that. That's why I research, search, wonder, and try things. I want something I don't have. Peace... with myself.

#197553 - 01/01/08 04:26 PM Re: brain chemicals and "need" for job change [Re: fhorns]
VictoryisRs Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey Fhorns-Seeking A job change is usually predicated by several factors:Job-disatsifaction, change in the market or anticipating a layoff for your profession, etc. But I think the biggest factor to weigh in asking this question:
What Do You Want?

Take the time to figure out what you really want to do.

What will it take to make you happier? It is not enough to know what you want to change from; you need to know what you want to change to.

Be specific in answering these questions. Don't allow yourself to be driven by a sense of vague malaise to make a change just for the sake of change. If you can't spell out in writing the valid reasons you want to move to a new job and be equally specific about what you want that job to be, don't set the process in motion.

Recognize that you are contemplating a serious and difficult undertaking, even under the best of circumstances. There is always some risk to your present situation when you start looking around. What will your present employer think if the word gets around that you are "looking"? At best, the whole process is usually disruptive and can be traumatic for you and your loved ones. Determine that you have the courage to live with the dangers and uncertainties of making a change.

Survey the situation. Be sure there is a market for the skills you have to offer where you want to live.

And also realize, without making a careful assessment of your situation, you could be trading apples for apples if you are staying the same profession.

Best of luck. V.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.