Newest Members
Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone, teba
12117 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
7 registered (jq19712, Cam76, atari_kid86, CafeMan, Jas52, 2 invisible), 58 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
62511 Topics
438091 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#176028 - 08/26/07 02:38 PM Triggers - confusing
Vandossi Offline
New Here

Hello, I just wanted to say that I was kind of confused about what "triggers" were when I first joined. I was totally unfamiliar with the term; I understood that I should label posts that might be triggers, but I couldn't quite figure out what would be a trigger. Maybe everything is a trigger to someone! Anyway, I thought it might be helpful to have a list of common triggers (specific) readily available. Still confused about how I know something is a trigger.

Just an idea!

Vandossi

The greatest and most devastating ignorance of humanity is perpetuated in the daily lives of families. Most of us do not want such knowledge... But our love for our children and for the human race might give us the courage to face these issues and allow us to look inward...

- A.H. Almaas

#176046 - 08/26/07 04:08 PM Re: Triggers - confusing [Re: Vandossi]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Vandossi,

Good question. I think in gerneral terms, a trigger is anything that you feel may be too graphic for someone to read. De>

#176242 - 08/27/07 11:19 AM Re: Triggers - confusing [Re: WalkingSouth]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

I typically put a trigger warning in the title of my post when I feel something I'm writing could take a reader back to their own abuse in some way, like a flashback or the emotional state they were in at the time.

If there is any question about whether or not it will trigger someone else, the safe bet is to mark it as "possible triggers". This is one time where being conservative is a good thing- play it safe.

#176248 - 08/27/07 11:45 AM Re: Triggers - confusing [Re: Dewey2k]
Vandossi Offline
New Here

Thanks for the replies. I see that it would be hard to have a set of rules about triggers. I guess you learn the standard from reading the forum.

At first I thought it was anything that might irritate or distract the focus of the forum, e.g. if I wrote something really political, or said in the religious/spiritual forum something negative about Christianity. Thinking about it as "bringing them back to their own abuse" is helpful.

The greatest and most devastating ignorance of humanity is perpetuated in the daily lives of families. Most of us do not want such knowledge... But our love for our children and for the human race might give us the courage to face these issues and allow us to look inward...

- A.H. Almaas

#176266 - 08/27/07 01:28 PM Re: Triggers - confusing [Re: Vandossi]
froggy12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Marlboro, MA 01752
It's like a 'caution' sign on the highway. The individual can then decide to read to not.

froggy

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.