Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
4 registered (don64, 3 invisible), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63112 Topics
441356 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#175583 - 08/24/07 11:25 AM sleeping
jessedawg Offline

Loc: New York
i know i asked this before but seriously how long can someone go without sleep? last night was bad, i was sooo tired and felt like i was going to be able to crash for a while, all studied out, no work, i was looking forward to it, so i lay down and first thing i have to do is get up and change the sheets, yea they're perfectly clean right out of the dryer but the smell, don't know what I bought for detergent but it was a trigger. so i change the sheets and lay down, shut my eyes for what seemed like two minutes and went straight into a nightmare, woke up and saw my dad standing there, jumped so bad I fell right out of the goddamn bed! so i get over that and try again, this time it's just way too hot in the apartment, real muggy last night in the city, tossing and turning and sweating my ass off, whoops theres another trigger so i have to get up and change the sheets again! by then i gave up and sat in front of the tv for the rest of the night, went straight to the station and worked first half of a double shift, now i'm home and wide awake, help!

#175586 - 08/24/07 11:36 AM Re: sleeping [Re: jessedawg]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Being awake for around 20 hours starts affecting your cognitive and motor functions, much the same way alcohol does, and the affect increases the longer you stay awake. After about 48 hours without sleep, you're susceptible to goodies like hallucinations. Sometimes your body unilaterally says "screw it" and you've got syncope.

I've got a pre>

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#175592 - 08/24/07 11:46 AM Re: sleeping [Re: melliferal]
jessedawg Offline

Loc: New York
syncope lol that reminds me of a funny call we got for some elderly woman who was staying at a hotel, her daughter called 911 when she found her mom passed out in the bathroom. this woman refused transport even though we urged her to go. she was real real embarrassed but explained to us that she had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and she was trying and trying but nothing would come out, so she was pushing and pushing and she just pushed to hard, fainted and hit her head on the wall on the way down.

#175616 - 08/24/07 04:08 PM Re: sleeping [Re: jessedawg]
user2007 Offline

My record without sleeping was for about 3 days. My mind was in completely confusion and I started hallucinating until I just passed out over the bed.

All this pavement"

~ John Mayer

#175793 - 08/25/07 05:27 PM Re: sleeping [Re: user2007]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jesse,

In addition to what you've heard already I'd just add that if the smell of your sheets fresh out of the dryer is a trigger, then definitely change whatever detergent it is you are using. Smells from the bad times are so often a huge trigger for survivors.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.