Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63396 Topics
443245 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#175455 - 08/23/07 11:14 PM Thank you Robbie Brown!
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

I thanked Rob in person already, but I don't think I sufficiently expressed my gratitude. So let me try this.

Summary: Robbie Brown is just about the coolest person I know. Without trying - or really even knowing - he has really helped me with my recovery and getting things back on track.

I first got on the forum around this time two years ago. I didn't know Rob then - not even sure he was around. In fact, I don't think I've even really known him for a whole year yet. When I first came on I posted my basic story and asked for a little help now and then, but I haven't really spent a whole lot of time talking about my issues. The reason is because I didn't have any issues - at least, that's what I believed. I think I even remember posting a few times in my replies to others, that my abuse "didn't affect me the way it affects other people". I didn't consider myself depressed, I don't have bad flashbacks, or anything like that. I kept telling myself that my mind more or less muscled through the trouble and that was it. It wasn't completely true, but I believed it anyway.

But things haven't been OK. I should've seen that for myself; the fact that I felt compelled to join this site at all to begin with should've told me that - but, when you tell yourself something often enough, you believe it eventually. The fact is, over the last little while, my abuse issues have really started haunting me. I haven't slept well; I don't visit and talk to my friends and family that much anymore. I've been isolating myself. I've been losing motivation to do much of anything. Still, I didn't admit anything to myself. I don't have a problem, not me!

One day, a month or so ago now, Rob told us he was dealing with some serious problems and decided to check HIMSELF into the hospital. I read what he posted, and I thought to myself, "that's pretty cool. I hope if I'm ever in trouble like that, I have the foresight to take the initiative and get help for myself before things get worse". No sooner had I thought that, than the world suddenly came down around my ears. I was in trouble, big trouble. And no, I could no longer pretend I wasn't. And yes, I was going to need help.

I waited until Rob got back, because I wanted to ask him a few things about getting into the hospital - and when he got back, I did ask him a few things. He cleared up some points for me; and soon, I was off to the hospital. Before I left, I let a few people here know; I also let Rob know, and told him that it was kind of because of him that I was doing what I was doing. He said, "call me when you're in!" Here was a guy that had just gotten out of the hospital, and had too many of his own troubles to deal with at the moment, and who really didn't know me from Adam as far as the forum goes, and he wants to give me support! How cool is that?

So, I got into the hospital, and...I called him, and we talked for a bit.

Because Rob inspired me and gave me the motivation to help myself, I'm not dealing with this issue alone anymore. I've got a therapist now, and a doctor; I've got some medicine to help me. I haven't rebounded like a basketball, of course - this thing will take time - but already my health is improving, and I think it might be simply because I'm not internalizing all this stuff anymore. I think perhaps it's too early to say my whole life has been turned around - but I'm taking some good steps right now, I think.

So yes, Rob, I know I already explained all this to you - but I decided to thank you again right out here in front of everybody. I know that you don't know me very well now, but I'd like to think you're one of the best friends I've had since I was very young. I don't think I would've gotten it done without you.

Here's to Rob!

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#175460 - 08/23/07 11:35 PM Re: Thank you Robbie Brown! [Re: melliferal]
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I'll join with you, to toast Rob(bie).

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, without a wonderful wife like Lorie, Rob could not do as much as he does.

So, here's to Lorie also.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luv ya both,
Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#175514 - 08/24/07 03:12 AM Re: Thank you Robbie Brown! [Re: Scoutvictim]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?

#175626 - 08/24/07 05:52 PM Re: Thank you Robbie Brown! [Re: frost]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'll admit I don't know Lorie as well as I know Rob; but if he likes her, she can't be all bad. \:\)

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#175662 - 08/25/07 02:00 AM Re: Thank you Robbie Brown! [Re: melliferal]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Well....this is the nicest thing anyone has evr said or done regarding little-old me. Gee!! Thank you Mel!

I'm blushing!

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#175679 - 08/25/07 08:18 AM Re: Thank you Robbie Brown! [Re: Still]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Yes, this is a fitting testament to Robbie's character. I've also had the privilege of meeting Robbie in person, and the storm that rages beneath the quiet surface of his outer personality was quite strong, what little of it he let others see.

What is also cool about what he's done for you, Mel, is that by helping you, Robbie was also helping himself. We help ourselves by simply making a positive difference in the lives of other survivors.

#175777 - 08/25/07 04:24 PM Re: Thank you Robbie Brown! [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Yep, well done Rob. It just goes to show that in the midst of dealing with our own issues and showing kindness to others we reach out to them and affect them in ways we often don't even realize.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.