Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
5 registered (1islandboy, Obi, TOM2, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63173 Topics
441753 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174080 - 08/18/07 11:17 AM A refiner and purifier of silver...
Frog Offline

Loc: Arizona

Malachi 3:3 says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."

This verse puzzled some women in a Bible study and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of GOD.

One of the women offered to find out the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible Study.

That week, the woman called a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver.

As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest as to burn away all the impurities.

The woman thought about GOD holding us in such a hot spot; then she thought again about the verse that says: "He sits as a refiner and purifier of silver." She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined.

The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?"
He smiled at her and answered, "Oh, that's easy -- when I see my image in it"

If today you are feeling the heat of the fire, remember that GOD has HIS eye on you and will keep watching you until He sees His image in you.

At this very moment, someone needs to know that God is watching over them.

And, whatever they're going through, they'll know they are being transformed in the image of the One who is watching.

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#174131 - 08/18/07 03:24 PM Re: A refiner and purifier of silver... [Re: Frog]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
today I would be proud to be a frog, and I saw one on a tshirt and thought of him.

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#174133 - 08/18/07 03:28 PM Re: A refiner and purifier of silver... [Re: markgreyblue]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

it's interesting though, and sorry for the excess writing - at the risk of derailing the thread - i was told by a new would be very spiritual 'friend' that he could not be my friend until i believed in sin and repentence. it was very hard for him to say that - I said it was ok - I was not shutting the door if he ever wished to come back to say hi.

i felt angry - i felt like saying - "i agree with your atheist parents that you're crazy" lol but - that would not have helped him or me - an hispanic girl said it's natural to get angry like that - but don't do that - I agreed - I am embarassed - or ashamed I wanted retrobution - but I kind of felt - if I did - I would be taking the elevator downstairs so to speak.

Maybe each day we are silversmiths - it does get exhausting though - and I would like to smoke some pot in truth at times and just hang out.

if individually we're silversmiths - we do make mistakes - we can learn from them - we can say sorry - or we can just
to stay friends with someone - maybe accept the good and the challenges in them - and living with all that - just as they do that with us .... we're both works in progress -
thanks frog, nice thread.

Edited by markgreyblue (08/18/07 04:07 PM)

#174150 - 08/18/07 05:14 PM Re: A refiner and purifier of silver... [Re: markgreyblue]
Frog Offline

Loc: Arizona

Well your friend is NEW to christianity...he is mistaken
in his belief that he cannot hang out w/ his old friends...
Just look at Jesus' life...HE hung out w/ prostitutes
and the like...people that society said NOT to be around
as they were considered undesireables...go figure...

Maybe you can help your friend to see things from another
perspective...

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#174215 - 08/18/07 10:06 PM Re: A refiner and purifier of silver... [Re: Frog]
Army Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Frog,

You rock dude!

Army

#174443 - 08/20/07 02:45 AM Re: A refiner and purifier of silver... [Re: Army]
pietie Offline

Loc: South Africa
Frog

Thanx for sharing this. Sudenly a lot akes sense in my life. I love the image of God waiting until He sees His image in you. Thats what our walk is about isn't it?

Mark. I agree with frog. As a christian we should lead by example and show people what Gos is about. We must be His hands and feet in the world. Some of my best friends have not come to make a decision yet and still they are my best friends.

#174506 - 08/20/07 01:51 PM Re: A refiner and purifier of silver... [Re: pietie]
SEVEN ARROWS Offline
MaleSurvivor

My family were christian, i waited as a child for his help. None came.
I stood there amongst the rubble the fires shimmering in the night, watching the light shine in the peoples eyes, they walked with him. I did not.
I crouched in the hole, the ground shuddering with distant guns, bullets like wasps buzzing, i looked into a soldiers eyes. He was scared but the light was in his eyes.
I looked into the eyes of the assailant, life given to terror. He had the light in his eyes.
I looked at the eyes of the children holding the limp hands of dead parents, tears and sorrow filled them. Look deeper the light shines.

I kept looking in my eyes, i called out for him, the night stayed dark.
If he is out there, he is not there for me. Why take the innocent around me. Why take the truthful and caring and leave me here.
If he is out there, he hides in the eyes of children, hides in the eyes of the fallen.

I am taintet marked unfit for use. Is he really there or is it just hope.
I will never know the path i have taken has shut me off from my fellow man and all his beuaty.

#174517 - 08/20/07 03:47 PM Re: A refiner and purifier of silver... [Re: SEVEN ARROWS]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

pietie, I agree with you totally.

the way he presented himself was so 'all or i can't be your friend' - it's like he wants rules or something i have no idea.
- i think he is having real identity problems - becuase earlier he had sort of come on to me - at least i felt that vibe - i skirted the issue though i date guys - it was just not the right place - but then his young wife - and child came -!!!!!!wow!
so - i think he's got a basket of issues here - and he's slowly talking again to me - as it's really unavoidable that we talk - if just in small bits. we're all working together where i am right now. he's nice enough mostly - just a bit messed up - he's getting help - in the right place - so that's good. ttyl gotta go

#174562 - 08/20/07 08:51 PM Re: A refiner and purifier of silver... [Re: markgreyblue]
buzz_key Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
mark, interesting you said your 'friend' wanted rules or something - that is "religion" - religion has messed up Christianity beyond anything else - a bunch of denominations creating rules, creating exclusivity in their congregations...making people believe they had to meet a bunch of standards before they could be "in the club"....when IT IS EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE - In all of our inperfections and messed upness (i just made up a word) is WHEN God wants us the most.

VERY good thread - you guys are awesome.

#174736 - 08/21/07 04:57 PM Re: A refiner and purifier of silver... [Re: buzz_key]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

some fav lines:

love thy neighbour as thyself

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

forgive us our trespasses - as we forgive those who trespass against us -

-i've made mistakes in my life - bigger ones and smaller ones -

i've made posts here to try to recognize the degrees of
things i've understood, offered apologies or sorry -
at that time

hindsight is 20/20 so - my vision in a lot of cases is clearer and more reasoned - and so on ... in that -

i've learned - if i can make peace -

even not having reciprocation -

i can be ok with that -

that i tried - and have not necessarily closed the door

i think it sets a good christian standard -

right now though - i would go for what i want out of life -

balancing 'respect' and 'how to get it'

'in gloria deo' the sun is shining and with breath the fresh air. \:\)

pax everybody

Edited by markgreyblue (08/21/07 05:01 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.