Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
5 registered (Obi, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63580 Topics
444208 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#172891 - 08/12/07 10:38 PM Re: Therapists? [Re: BJK]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'll make this one short and to the point. Bryan's post above got me to thinking and this is the profound result of my cogitations. ;\)

No amount of either medication and/or therapy is EVER going to be effective with anyone who does not want to do the work of recovery or has no desire for change. Simple as that.

John

#172894 - 08/12/07 11:10 PM Re: Therapists? [Re: WalkingSouth]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: walkingsouth
No amount of either medication and/or therapy is EVER going to be effective with anyone who does not want to do the work of recovery or has no desire for change. Simple as that.

That doesn't paint the happiest picture in the world ... it's hard to want to keep moving sometimes. And the desire for change is also very frightening. Sometimes I'd rather go back to hiding...

Sounds hopeless ...

#172897 - 08/12/07 11:25 PM Re: Therapists? [Re: MarkK]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sometimes we all would rather go back into hiding, Mark. But what I see in your posts, even this last one, is that you have that desire. I don't think you'd have cared enough to even post your concern above if you didn't have it within yourself.

Part of the damage that was done to us by the abuse is that often we don't even know our own minds when it comes to some of this stuff. We know how we feel, but often feelings have nothing to do with reality. Our world view is clouded by the erroneous thinking we used as kids to protect ourselves with. It worked then, but now we no longer need it for protection, and yet we know no other way to be. That is one of the things that makes this journey so daunting to us, and yet that little guy that struggled through back then is still within us and still fighting to break through.

I and your other brothers here see that fight in you, Mark. It may not seem like it sometimes from your point of view, but we can clearly see it. The very fact that you are here posting tells us that it's there. Sometimes we just need to lean on our brothers for that helping hand. That's what this place is for.

Lots of love,

John

#172899 - 08/12/07 11:54 PM Re: Therapists? [Re: WalkingSouth]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yea, mostly I am just arguing because I thought there needed to be two sides to this. It seemed a little lopsided there for a bit.

Trust is such a difficult thing...in the initial stages of therapy. So much time is spent on just getting to that point where you might truly feel trust for the first time...or feel it once again I guess in some cases.

But today's microwave solutions as far as meds go...only work if you take em.

:-)

Dave

#173721 - 08/16/07 06:27 PM Re: Therapists? [Re: ttoon]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: ttoon
But today's microwave solutions as far as meds go...only work if you take em.

But that's true about everything.
Trust only works if you exercise it
Courage only works if you act on it
Money only works if you spend it
Oxygen only works if you breathe it

My point? i probably don't have one. i did when i started this, but like so much in my life anymore, it's faded before i even got to experience it.

m

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.