Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
6 registered (AL-S, 5 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64020 Topics
446789 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#17283 - 05/09/03 03:02 PM The Invitation
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Last night in a class, the instructor gave us the following reading and each of us read this outloud in class. The first couple of times it was read, it didn't have a lot of impact but the more it was read, the more I began to see what it meant. And after hearing 13 times last night, it was very powerful to me and many of my classmates. I would like to share this with you. To me it is not only an invitation to other people but to myself as well.

Quote:
The Invitation
Oriah Mountain Dreamer, Indian Elder

It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living.
I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.

It doesn’t interest me how old you are.
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dreams,
for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon.
I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life’s betrayals or have become shriveled and closed
from fear of further pain.
I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own; if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, be realistic, or to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn’t interest me if the story you’re telling me is true.
I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul.
I want to know if you can be faithful and therefore be trustworthy.
I want to know if you can see the beauty even when it is not pretty every day, and if you can source your life from ITS presence.
I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the end of a lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, “Yes”.

It doesn’t interest me to know where you live or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for the children.

It doesn’t interest me who you are, or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.
I want to know if you can be alone with yourself, and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#17284 - 05/09/03 03:30 PM Re: The Invitation
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Wow is the only word I can think of.

It is what we are all trying to arrive at. God it is beautiful.

Come on brother wolves lets dance in the fire and shout YES YES YES YES until we are cant shout anymore.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#17285 - 05/09/03 04:30 PM Re: The Invitation
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing that very powerful.

James

#17286 - 05/09/03 07:07 PM Re: The Invitation
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
OOOPS !
Ignore the "edited by Lloydy" on the previous posts, I haven't edited or altered anything in the actual posts.

If we put a long line of uninterupted text ( or a line ) in a post it runs off the edge of the page, I thought it was the lines in Don's post - it wasn't. It was the huge wolf howl in James' post.
Bad boy James ;\)

Dave

#17287 - 05/09/03 07:16 PM Re: The Invitation
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Don
That is an incredible text to live by, we can learn so much from other cultures, religions and ancient civilisations. Sometimes they had / have insights we have missed and lost through our rush to be 'civilised'

James, I agree - this deserves a huge howl from the edge of the lake.

Dave
"AAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

#17288 - 05/09/03 08:34 PM Re: The Invitation
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Don, thanks for sharing this great stuff!

James, thanks for the super-long off-the-page howl!

Gotta remember this stuff!

Victor

#17289 - 05/09/03 09:24 PM Re: The Invitation
Cement Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southern California
Don, I aspire to attain the consciousness of those words.

Peace,
James

#17290 - 05/11/03 01:15 AM Re: The Invitation
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Thanks everyone. It is a very power piece and I wonder what affect it would have it we read it out loud every day.... just a thought

Glad everyone liked it though.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#17291 - 05/14/03 04:51 PM Re: The Invitation
RJD Offline

Loc: jefferson City, Mo,usa
I believe it was in the '80's when I first read this, and I heard it again last January. It is always powerful and has deeply impacted my life. It had become incorporated into who I am, and I forgot the source. Thank you MrDon for bringing it here

Especially
Quote:
It doesn’t interest me who you are, or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.
This line has sustained me through many non-facilitated support groups with other men. I always expect them to recoil in horror of the flames if my issues were not exactly like theirs.

It turns out the issues are often abandonment, and feeling unloveabe, which seem to be almost universal experieces of those of us who have been severely wounded, whatever the specific emotional wounds.

Can I sit in the fire of healing flames and not recoil?

Sometimes I can.

When I can face my terror of the flames and accept it, it is healing in and of itself.

To sit there in the flames with others and not feeling alone is phenomenal.

To enter these pages is to enter the flames, and I know am not alone.

What a gift we share to join one another in the flames,

I looked up some background on the author, and she has a website. this page is about her. Look around once you get there

http://www.oriahmountaindreamer.com/person.html

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.