Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
5 registered (traveler, 4 invisible), 45 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63776 Topics
445371 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#172470 - 08/10/07 06:43 PM Johnny Cash - "Hurt"
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Possible triggers?

I happened upon this video.

I don't think he was talking about abuse necessarily; however, his words say what I feel. Just take a listen.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#172483 - 08/10/07 07:12 PM Re: Johnny Cash - "Hurt" [Re: melliferal]
Stefan012 Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
i know the song, its a good one. Dark though. Wasnt he addicted to drugs? maybe thats what he is talking about.
But it doesnt really matter what he meant, its about what you get out of it.

No they can't take them away, so they won't

#172491 - 08/10/07 07:23 PM Re: Johnny Cash - "Hurt" [Re: Stefan012]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

He references drugs as an escape that doesn't work; but I think the whole song is about his life in general.

ETA: note, he didn't write this song. I'm not sure who did.

Edited by melliferal (08/10/07 07:24 PM)

#172497 - 08/10/07 07:36 PM Re: Johnny Cash - "Hurt" [Re: melliferal]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

there is a good movie out about his life-------------------johnny cash-was real-----------------check out-----hank williams-------sr--------then his son jr-------great music-------real music--------------ste-ve---------------------ho the movie was not called johny cash was real--------------------that was just my commit------------------steve

#172499 - 08/10/07 07:39 PM Re: Johnny Cash - "Hurt" [Re: sabata]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

The movie was called "Walk The Line", I believe.

#172504 - 08/10/07 07:49 PM Re: Johnny Cash - "Hurt" [Re: melliferal]
Stefan012 Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
according to wikipedia;

"Hurt" is a song written by Trent Reznor, first released as a promotional single on Nine Inch Nails' 1994 album The Downward Spiral. In 2002, "Hurt" was covered by Johnny Cash to critical acclaim; it was Cash's final hit before his death. Its accompanying video, featuring images from Cash's life up to his final months, was named the best video of the year by the Grammy Awards and Country Music Awards. Cash's video was directed by Mark Romanek.

In an interview with Alternative Press, Reznor admitted that when Rubin first asked if Cash could cover his song, he was "flattered" but worried that "the idea sounded a bit gimmicky." The power of Cash's cover didn't fully hit Reznor until he saw the video:

“ I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore. … It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning—different, but every bit as pure.[2] ”

Reznor still occasionally refers to "Hurt" as "a song that isn't mine anymore."

No they can't take them away, so they won't

#172526 - 08/10/07 09:21 PM Re: Johnny Cash - "Hurt" [Re: Stefan012]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
I mentioned this song on here a year or so ago and one of the younger guys, for some reason I think it was Kurt, told me that it was a Nine Inch Nails song. I kinda laughed to myself, "no way, Johnny Cash did not cover a Nine Inch Nails song" but I didn't say anything. Well my hand is out for a well deserved slap, I was obviously wrong.

Anyway, the first time we heard the song we were out; it came on the juke box and it was totally unexpected. My b/f's knees actually buckled and he held on to me for dear life until it was over. It is extremely powerful.

ROCK ON.........Trish

PS I just found my old post, it was Nobby who told me the correct artist.

Edited by Trish4850 (08/10/07 09:26 PM)

#172583 - 08/11/07 09:28 AM Re: Johnny Cash - "Hurt" [Re: Trish4850]
indygal Offline

i saw an interview w/him some years ago when he said he'd lost his older brother as a child; that is, johnny was maybe 12? 13? that they were best friends, not just brothers, and he just never got over it.

i've watched him and been a fan since the 60's. no, i don't think he ever got over the loss of his brother. he was a deeply sensitive man, caring kind and gentle. who knows what other darkness he may have held inside. for those of us who knew and loved his music, i think we share his pain to some extent. he was just that kind of a person.

indy

#172736 - 08/12/07 06:50 AM Re: Johnny Cash - "Hurt" [Re: indygal]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Yep, it's a Nine Inch Nails song alright - comes off their The Downward Spiral album. In the context of the whole album it's a lament by a kid who has committed suicide; he now sees that if he had the chance to go back and do things all over again, he could have saved himself. But of course now it's too late, and that's what he's singing about.

Cash was a devout and caring guy and he was kind of hard on himself for the excesses of his youth, especially where drugs were concerned. I think he was also hard-hit by the death of his wife June Carter, whose death he only survived by a few months.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.