Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 66 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62520 Topics
438129 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#172619 - 08/11/07 01:09 PM Re: Hobbies? ....Possible TRIGGERS..... [Re: deck]
Danbuff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY state
Wow,
I am impressed by all of the talent and hobbies I have learned that you guys have. I have no real interests and may just be mired in my own crap. The best I can do for myself is journal and come here. On the other hand I am having a day today.
Peace guys,
Dan

#172685 - 08/11/07 09:07 PM Re: Hobbies? ....Possible TRIGGERS..... [Re: WalkingSouth]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Yeah Larry, that was me. Gershwin was such a genius, in his concertos' anyway (his show tunes don't interest me, but that's how he paid the bills.) The complexity and nuance in his music is awsome, he can make you think you're hearing multiple melody lines that arent' even there...

I have a recording of American in Paris that is a piano solo by George himself. The piece was written as a symphony, but he managed to capture all of the instumental voices using only the piano. Man, it is fantastic!

As an aside, you know how some people play 'air guitar'? I play 'air piano' to gershwin. When my husband wants a backrub, I turn down the lights, put on Concerto in F and play it on his back... He says it's the best backrub he's ever had! And I have a good time too!

Have a great day!

Ric

#172731 - 08/12/07 05:34 AM Re: Hobbies? ....Possible TRIGGERS..... [Re: Lazarus]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Ric,

Oh yeah! I know ALL about air guitar, though we didn't call it that back then!!! I was a teenager when Hendrix was around! rofl I wish I had video footage of my best moments. How embarrassing, but my kids would laugh themselves senseless I bet.

Hey, do you know of a good solo piano performance of the Rhapsody in Blue? Just piano. The musical director at the American Academy in Rome told me in 2000 that a great score had just been edited and published, and that's what he played. I'm wondering if there's a version of it on CD - must be by now, but all I see are performances with orchestra.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#172753 - 08/12/07 07:58 AM Re: Hobbies? ....Possible TRIGGERS..... [Re: roadrunner]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

work

#172821 - 08/12/07 02:08 PM Re: Hobbies? ....Possible TRIGGERS..... [Re: sabata]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey, do we have a drummer in the group. We've got guitar players, keyboard, bass guitar, singers. We really NEED a drummer!!!

#172827 - 08/12/07 02:19 PM Re: Hobbies? ....Possible TRIGGERS..... [Re: WalkingSouth]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, I have played drums before, but I don't consider myself to be a drummer because I really don't want to be....

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#172843 - 08/12/07 03:38 PM Re: Hobbies? ....Possible TRIGGERS..... [Re: BJK]
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
I used to play drums in a band called Sidewinder, then Zandar Zan for quite a few years. I've still got the kit in a cupboard at the top of my stairs. Haven't played it for some time - it's too big to set up in the house: Double bass drums, 2 x floor toms, 4 x mounted toms, snare drums and loads of cymbals and a cow bell. I used to play in a thrash style, before it was invented - I think I just used to like to hit the hell out of them as it got rid of all my pent up energy - wonder where that came from!?

Somedays I used to have a laugh if we were playing a gig - some guitarists have such big ego's, so if they pissed me off with their vanity, I used to play fast songs even faster and laugh as they tried to keep up. They'd usually get their own back, by announcing a slow song next & then laugh at me trying to slow down and do a slow beat.

I'm quite proud of some of the photographs - think early Lemmy, only with longer hair. I rmember the day we played Sunderland Mayfair! It had a revolving stage, where you set up the gear, and the audience couldn't see you. Once you started the set, the stage revolved so that you were then facing the audience. It was the biggest crowd we had played to at that point (about 600). We started up with Van Halen's Ain't Talking About Love (though we played mostly our own stuff). One of my legs developed a twitch and started hammering the bass drunm at twice normal speed. It improved the song, and they asked me to play it like that all the time afterwards. Drums are a great way of getting rid of stress. They are also better than a gym work out if you play fast rock - I had an eight pack then, now it's more of a barrel!

My guitar style is usually influenced by how much red wine I've consumed. One song I do, is quite mournful to start of, like remote church bells in one of those grinding western cowboy films. As it progresses, the mood lifts and changes - it can last anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours, just depends upon my frame of mind.

My other hobbies are collecting Mexican style items. It started with a distressed pine sideboard. People have asked me, 'Why Mexican'. The only answer I have, is that when I was very young (pre-abuse), we had a vase in the house (ringtons tea)that had a picture of a mexican boy and a donkey on it. I always used to wonder about where the boy lived, and if it was nearby! He just looked so happy. There were also donkeys near to where I lived, and I used to go and feed them carrots with my Grandfather (happy times). Maybe I'm trying to find that happiness in my purchases!? You can sometimes find these vases on e-bay! Think I will have to buy one! Full circle!

I have bought Day of the Dead Mariachi Band tin ornaments, day of the dead wine glasses, Mexican national anthem poster from 1954 (in Spanish), various vintage postcards, a Mexican silver scorpion spoon and various other items.

Best wishes ...Rik

#172855 - 08/12/07 05:38 PM Re: Hobbies? ....Possible TRIGGERS..... [Re: RICK57]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

You'll do, Rik. Damn, Guy's! We got us a band!!!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.