Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63568 Topics
444132 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#171252 - 08/05/07 11:17 PM Re: First Post [Re: Lazarus]
waz Offline
New Here

Originally Posted By: Lazarus
I'm glad you were able to open up to your friends, and the one who pulled away may need some of your support in return for the onus you have placed on him... Find a place where you can talk to him sincerely, and let him know that you don't want anything from him, except his friendship. Who knows what you may have triggered inside him, and you should assure him that you only want his friendship. Perhaps that will put him at ease...

Lazarus,
Thanks for your kind words and suggestions. I have certainly given it a lot of thought after I mentioned it to him and the jury is still out on whether I should of placed that onus on him as well. I think as well that he may not appreciate the emotional burden that in order to tell him that information placed on me as well, only time will tell. He is a very career focused person and that is probably his reluctance to get involved personally is a big step. I have certainly reassured him that all I want is his friendship. The problem is as well that its very hard to have that sincere conversation with him as if it gets close to personal issues he tends to dismiss them and dismiss me. It makes it hard to have any kind of meaningful discussion.

#171263 - 08/05/07 11:56 PM Re: First Post [Re: waz]
healing_inside Offline
MaleSurvivor

waz,

Welcome to MS.

This is a great place begin dealing with the open can of worms.

Glad you posted \:\)

*** WoR Retreat Alumni - Alta 2005 ***

#171277 - 08/06/07 12:36 AM Re: First Post [Re: waz]
bp83 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
welcome waz! I'm sure you will find this a very comforting and safe haven to express your feelings and questions!

"Life is for living, we all know, and I don't want to live it alone..."-Chris Martin

#171299 - 08/06/07 04:48 AM Re: First Post [Re: healing_inside]
waz Offline
New Here

Originally Posted By: healing_inside
This is a great place begin dealing with the open can of worms.

I think it is. Now I have to figure out how to deal with that can of worms and the many questions that can come out of it.

#171302 - 08/06/07 05:21 AM Re: First Post [Re: waz]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Waz,

Originally Posted By: waz
What annoys me is that I used to love the things that I joined scouts for in the first place. So many things over the years now lost the meaning they did for me in the in the past. Part of me now as an adult wishes to take on those things I used to love and try once again.

I know how that one feels, bro! I loved all the camping and outdoors aspects of Scouts, but for a long time those memories were contaminated by associations with episodes of abuse. But what helped me a lot was to see that the abuser wasn't really a Scout leader - he was a predator who had just insinuated himself into our troop looking for boys to feast on. I also tried to remember that the man who ended everything and saved me was the Scoutmaster himself.

Some time ago I also wrote to National about my experiences and urged vigilance, and much to my surprise I got a nice reply back expressing regret and explaining all the things the BSA was doing to make sure abuse cannot continue. That is, the organization took responsibility even though the abuser was not a formal leader, but just one of the fathers who helped out a lot.

That enabled me to look back and separate my thoughts about Scouts from my memories about abuse. That's been a wonderful development, since it has given me back at least a piece of my childhood.

I just mention all this to assure you that all kinds of progress can be made, and in a lot of different ways.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#171305 - 08/06/07 06:00 AM Re: First Post [Re: roadrunner]
waz Offline
New Here

Originally Posted By: roadrunner

I know how that one feels, bro! I loved all the camping and outdoors aspects of Scouts, but for a long time those memories were contaminated by associations with episodes of abuse. But what helped me a lot was to see that the abuser wasn't really a Scout leader - he was a predator who had just insinuated himself into our troop looking for boys to feast on. I also tried to remember that the man who ended everything and saved me was the Scoutmaster himself.

Hey Larry,

Perhaps that is part of the problem for me. Other than I don't remember much of the detail about it now and only the emotions that ran with it. The whole situation went unchecked for so long. I think I mentioned in another mail that the only way I dealt with it in the end was to write a letter to my parents. I suppose that opens up another can that I felt I couldnt go to my parents about it for so long as well. Even in the end I didnt talk to them but wrote a letter. Even though it was stopped was it from my perspective dealt with? Well no. But in hindsight I wonder about my parents not noticing the changes in me in the post years. Surely their boy that used to do all the outdoors stuff and then stops and they know something happened - wouldnt it ring alarm bells.

Anyway they were both from Britain and they always used to say that the British keep a stiff upper lip (yes I am sure I am opening myself up for UK people to have a go at me) but in my parents minds thats that way things are dealt with.

Certainly if I ever manage to have kids then this is NOT the kind of relationship I want to have with them.

#171355 - 08/06/07 11:11 AM Re: First Post [Re: waz]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Waz,

I also thought long and hard about that, and in my case I can remember (for example) sitting at the dining room table, looking around and thinking, "Can no one see what's happening to me?"

But there are a few things to consider here. I am now 58 and abuse began for me when I was 10. I see you are a bit younger, but still, for both of us, we were going though hell at a time when CSA of boys was not yet on the agenda - not even for professionals. That didn't happen until the late 80s, and the classic handbooks we read now (Lew and Hunter) come from the first reactions to that pioneering work.

I have spoken to my parents about this in detail, and they both remember my strange behavior - running upstairs to my room every time I came home, long showers, not wanting to be touched, zoning out without warning, etc. My mother would find my hiding places stocked with a blanket, comic books and some snacks, but she thought they were part of some game with my sister.

The bottom line is that what our parents needed wasn't just the information, but some framework of interpretation to use to read that information. They didn't have that, neither did our teachers in school, and neither did the pros.

It's of course up to each of us to decide what to make of this background, but I am content to give my parents a break for not realizing what even trained professionals did not yet know.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#171386 - 08/06/07 12:58 PM Re: First Post [Re: roadrunner]
waz Offline
New Here

Larry,

Considering now what my parents are going through and there is no way that my father will remember anything about it with his alzeimers I am content to leave it be. I agree with you though that at the time when it happened which would of been late 70's early 80's there was no framework for dealing with this kind of situation. Yesterday I was having a talk with her about the fact that dad needs to go into full time care as she is unable to deal with it anymore and we had a discussion about she thought that alzeimers was at epidemic proportions. That maybe true however I also mentioned to her that the ability of the doctors to diagnose and record and collate the information now with the level of communication is by far the biggest factor that we know this info.

You think when you were younger that computers were not really even thought of. I look at younger people today and the access to information and resources is fantastic. Information before was such a premium. Look at what we are doing now the whole idea of discussion forums back then would of been a pipe dream. She related slowly that could be the case. I do sometimes get disturbed by the fact she said I had a wonderful childhood and that nothing bad ever happened. It seems at least what happened in scouts has been packed away in a nice little dark place for her.

w.

#171394 - 08/06/07 01:10 PM Re: First Post [Re: waz]
waz Offline
New Here

All,

Thanks again for all your welcome messages. Your enthusiam welcoming me on board is very much appreciated.

Edited by waz (08/09/07 05:48 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.