Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
5 registered (BraveFalcon, TW16, Brokenwife, focusedbody, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63211 Topics
442000 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#171352 - 08/06/07 11:02 AM Does anyone sleep in their clothes?
Agape Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I'm reading Road Runner's old post on "creating safety III" and it touches on nightmares. I had a thought and wanted to ask.

From time to time my partner sleeps in his jeans. It's not a big deal but it's an observation on my behalf.

Be Well,

(especially love that is spiritual in nature)

#171522 - 08/06/07 09:33 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Agape Girl]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi,

You ask an interesting question. I remember as a child I would sleep in my jeans sometimes if I thought I could get away with it. Mom was quite the detective and somehow seemed to know when I was not doing things the way she thought they should be done, then I'd get in trouble.

I have no such desire to sleep in my clothes anymore. It's been years, probably my early 20's. I never thought to assign my childhood trauma as the cause of it. It makes sense that a hurt child would be looking for a higher degree of safety and be wearing his jeans to bed in an attempt to create that safety.

You've given me something to consider.

Lots of love,

John

#171527 - 08/06/07 09:53 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: WalkingSouth]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

I slept in my clothes until I got a room with a lock on the door...as a kid that is.

It made me feel safer. One more layer between me and him.

Dave

#171528 - 08/06/07 09:57 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: WalkingSouth]
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
I do at times sleep in my clothes, it does in a way give me a safer feeling in myself, and other times its just cause i fall asleep watching tv. I did regulary sleep fully clothed when i was younger, and i also had a habit of sleeping with knives as a kid, something which my family regulary comment on when disscussing our childhood years.

#171567 - 08/07/07 05:16 AM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: ttoon]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Agape,

I think part of your answer lies n Dave's post:

Originally Posted By: ttoon
I slept in my clothes until I got a room with a lock on the door...as a kid that is.

It made me feel safer. One more layer between me and him.

Another part of the answer is that for an abused boy one of the worst memories is of your underpants being pulled down. The feelings are just awful. You feel helpless, ashamed, and afraid, and it drives home to you the (false) idea that what you have down there is what is "attracting" the abuser.

If a guy is still troubled by this, having "one more layer" when he goes to bed makes a lot of sense. After all, it's so often in his own bed that a boy is abused.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#171632 - 08/07/07 09:18 AM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: roadrunner]
Agape Girl Offline

To All;

I thought the same when I read Roadrunner's post, hence me asking. It's okay with me, I don't mind, before yesterday it was something silly my partner did, but today or even last night, it's okay with me and I promise not to give him "the business" even in a joking matter, next time it happens.

Just wanted to share that last night I read to him the introduction of "If the man you love was abused". He agreed he's putting little feelers out to me, so I gave it a go! To my surprise he made a "HMMM!" sound while reading the statistics on the abuse of males. I'm thinking that more statistics might entice his intellectual side. Any thoughts?

#171636 - 08/07/07 09:24 AM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Agape Girl]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Agape,

I don't know about statistics, but you might want to let him know that it has only been since the late 80s that there has been any serious awareness - even among professionals - of the sexual abuse of boys as a problem in society. We really are talking about many years when this could happen to a kid for years without the safe adults responsible for him having any idea what was going on.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#171641 - 08/07/07 09:34 AM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: roadrunner]
anyway90 Offline

Im shocked that so many ppl dont sleep in their clothes?

Edited by anyway90 (08/07/07 09:36 AM)

#171644 - 08/07/07 10:01 AM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: anyway90]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Anyway,

If you do, it's not surprising. Like I said, it's so often defensive reaction to having been touched or violated in the past.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#171651 - 08/07/07 11:31 AM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: roadrunner]
Stefan012 Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
He would beat the shit out of me if I ever would have tried something like that. Not that he usually needed a reason but ok.
I don't sleep in boxers or something though i do need at least a tshirt and a jogging pants or pyama pants. If I would sleep at someone elses place and had no sleeping stuff with me I'd sleep in my jeans and tshirt though, or borrow something.
I'd feel to vulnerable without a layer of clothes.

Same reason I dont like gym at school much or wouldn't join a soccerclub or something because I don't want to shower with the rest of the team. Good things showers at school didn't work i guess..

Stefan

No they can't take them away, so they won't

#171655 - 08/07/07 11:58 AM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Stefan012]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Stefan,

Originally Posted By: Stefan012
Same reason I dont like gym at school much or wouldn't join a soccerclub or something because I don't want to shower with the rest of the team. Good things showers at school didn't work i guess..

I bet every other teenager here will say "Me too!" to how you feel, Stefan. It's part of that feeling of being totally exposed to harm and maybe even discovery of what happened to you.

And not just the other teens. This topic comes up here from time to time on the site and the replies are pretty unanimous. I'll just say here that when I was a teenager in the USA years ago we had to change for gym and shower in a big common changing room and that scared me to death. I was so absolutely certain that somehow someone would just look at me and be able to tell what was happening to me. I felt so obvious.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#171668 - 08/07/07 12:50 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Stefan012]
Agape Girl Offline

Roadrunner;

The introduction to "if the man you loved was abused" covers that completely hence his "HMMMM!" sound. I took that as a good sign.

fyi- yesterday i purchased the book you recommended by Mr. Lew, I had it mailed home but to my b/f. I hope I didn't overstep, by doing that, but then again without me he said he wouldn't be doing this. If he puts the book in his hand that's another step in my eyes.

Thank you all for your comments, you help me be strong every day for him.

always,
Kelly

#171769 - 08/07/07 07:38 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Agape Girl]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I guess I kind of lived in extremes...

as a young kid I always wore underwear - even under my PJ's (we were checked to make sure we were in PJ's - to be caught in bed in street clothes would have been a VERY bad thing - it only happened a couple of times) - and even that was'nt enough layers for protection as I'd often be found in the morning to be rolled up tightly in whatever coverings were on my bed (or sometimes even found rolled up under the bed)(my dad has laughed about it in telling stories of us kids to his friends)

for some reason though when i hit my teens I did'nt want anything touching my skin - nothing at all - or i could'nt sleep

I don't really know why that change happened?

Now as an adult I seem to flip back and forth between the two...

Larry - just got to say that your last reply to Stefan hit me REALLY hard as it was in one of those commons showers that the other boys found out about the physical abuse - it was easy to litteraly "see" it - no way to hide it in there - God, how I hated those showers after that...

TJ jeff

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#171770 - 08/07/07 07:41 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: TJ jeff]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

TJ jeff,

I'm really sorry you had to go through that. I can just imagine how you felt and I hope you're making progress on those old wounds. They hurt as bad as the physical and sexual ones, don't they?

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#171794 - 08/07/07 08:48 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: TJ jeff]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

TJ Jeff,

Yea...don't ya really wonder why the shift? I do...

I went through a stage where I couldn't even wear a ring or a watch...and sleep. From sleeping fully cothed as a kid...to not being able to sleep with anything...well, hmm...maybe not that weird uh?

Anyway, yea...when my wife is in bed with me I lay perfectly still...but when she isn't...she usually ends up laughing at me because I literally get all twisted up in the covers...and I am all over the bed.

:-)

Dave

#171796 - 08/07/07 08:51 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: ttoon]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: ttoon
Anyway, yea...when my wife is in bed with me I lay perfectly still...but when she isn't...she usually ends up laughing at me because I literally get all twisted up in the covers...and I am all over the bed.

i'm just the opposite. in the bed alone i don't move at all.

m

#171797 - 08/07/07 08:51 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: roadrunner]
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

TJ jeff,

It was interesting to see where you quit liking to wear clothing to bed. I am the same way, and at times feel like I am the weird one here at MS. I cannot stand any clothing on me at all when I sleep. It feels as if someone is holding me down or pinning me to the bed. I will wake up in a panick if I get wrapped in the sheets. My ex used to have to wake me up because I would be screaming in my sleep.

Showers were tough, but I made myself take them with the guys. We surfed and lived on the beach most of the afternoons when school was out. We had no modesty around each other. I trusted these guys, as opposed to the ones in my youth. After I was raped, I had to force myself to undress in front of the others in order to keep them from becoming suspicious. (Why is Rich so modest all the sudden?) It was all part of the cover up for me. If I became modest in the showers or elsewhere, they would all "know".

Weird how SA affects each of us differently, even down to what we wear or dont wear to bed.

#171804 - 08/07/07 09:14 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: FLRich]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

This thread hit me in a couple of ways.

When I was very young, pajamas were required bedtime apparel, and we were not allowed to wear underwear underneath. I did anyway, and when Larry mentioned that as kids, some of the worst feelings we experienced were when our underwear was being pulled down, I can suddenly relate to that in a way I can't quite describe yet. That sentence was a mild trigger for me, I guess, and now I need to find out why.

When I was a teenager, I always wore regular shorts over my underwear and a T-shirt to bed. As soon as I moved out of the house, I stopped wearing the shorts over my underwear, but I wear a T-shirt to bed to this day. The reason for the T-Shirt is obvious, I think. My mom always made a point to ridicule me about my physique, and even when I was a runner/sprinter/basketball player in high school, I was very conscious of the way my upper body looked. To this day, I won't be seen in public without a shirt. Ever.

As far as locker rooms go, I never had any issues there. However, I was witness to some pretty nasty locker room hazing incidents when I was in junior high. At this point, I don't like to think or talk about them much.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#171823 - 08/07/07 11:00 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: BJK]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Rich,
Quote:
It feels as if someone is holding me down or pinning me to the bed

That is exactly the feeling that led to the switch in my teens - though i don't have any memory of being pinned to the bed

Bryan,
Quote:
some of the worst feelings we experienced were when our underwear was being pulled down

yeah - I hear ya on that one!!!

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#171850 - 08/08/07 12:02 AM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Stefan012]
Brokenhearted Offline

Loc: TX
Very interesting thread. Amazing how many survivors admit to doing this. My H has done this some too, most noticeably in the last yr. I thought maybe he was just overtired, but it is strange how he would have his jeans and shirt on, still all dressed, even his watch!, and so maybe it is a csa issue since it just started happening within the past yr when all this began to resurface. It is amazing again how much survivors have in common, down to such seemingly innocuous things.

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Luke 17:2

#172101 - 08/09/07 09:21 AM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Agape Girl]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
Never in my life did i sleep without clothes(20yrs or so) because for whatever reason i felt more safe and comfortable.

However i am now in an awesome,safe and healthy relationship with a woman who understands me comepletely so therefore i now feel safe enough to sleep without clothes.

When we first met and we were "intimate" shortly thereafter i had to put my clothes back on because i felt vulnerable and exposed,whatever that was/is i'm not concerned with.

I can't really answer such a broad question in that ONLY YOU can make the decision to wear clothes or not to bed.When you feel safe you'll make the choice to do what is right for you and not before.So to answer your question no i now don't sleep in my clothes.

Coopstah

PS: it is however important to mention to you that it's not right or wrong to wear or not wear clothes only that when it feels safe for you then it's up to you at this point.

#172221 - 08/09/07 09:37 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Stefan012]
hideout Offline

Loc: michigan
i still go to bed fully clothed, even though it has not happened for a few years, everytime i try to go to bed without all my clothes on i usually get scared
its embarrasing, but who cares, i have to deal with it and i just found this website today, and hopefully it helps

#172226 - 08/09/07 09:54 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: hideout]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Welcome, hideout.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#172229 - 08/09/07 10:19 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: BJK]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Hideout \:\) Welcome. We're glad you're here.

John

#172314 - 08/10/07 11:27 AM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: WalkingSouth]
cameron Offline

i sleep in my clothes too
sometimes i sleep in my closet, in my clothes

#172340 - 08/10/07 12:44 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: cameron]
hideout Offline

never in my closet, sometimes on the floor though

#172342 - 08/10/07 12:55 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: hideout]
Agape Girl Offline

Hideout;

Welcome!!!
I'm new here too, and the family of a soon to be self admitted Survivor. I've found a few moments of peace and calmness with all the people that live here. So, stay here with us, you'll find more and more support, to help you heal.

be well,

#172346 - 08/10/07 12:59 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Agape Girl]
hideout Offline

i hope so
im already a fuck up, always have been

#172361 - 08/10/07 01:31 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: hideout]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Hideout,

Thanks for your PM and welcome to Male Survivor. I'm really glad you found us, and I know you will get a lot of support and understanding here. You aren't a fuck-up, by the way, though we often think of ourselves that way. You are a guy who is trying to cope with some terrible things that were done to you. It's a brave thing you are doing here, and I hope you feel comfortable in our community here.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#172363 - 08/10/07 01:36 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: roadrunner]
hideout Offline

im not brave
cant even face myself

#172377 - 08/10/07 01:48 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Brokenhearted]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

i dont sleep in my clothes but my bed has to be against the wall and even if i try not to i always wake up with my back against the wall somehow the corner makes me feel safe ,in the closet i would try to crawl into the corner hoping he couldnt get to me ,i wanted to become part of the wall ,i also did this on the street having my back to the wall meant i only had to worry about something comming fronm in front of me. cameron just read your reply about the closet! yes sometimes when i would have nightmares i would go and sleep in the closet ,its the only place i felt safe ,even though he kept me locked in at least in there i wasnt getting hurt

Edited by shadowkid (08/10/07 01:50 PM)

#172380 - 08/10/07 01:50 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: shadowkid]
hideout Offline

i sleep on a couch
dont even sleep in a bed
haha

#172392 - 08/10/07 02:20 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: hideout]
Agape Girl Offline

Hideout;

I can see your very upset with yourself right now. It's easy for me to tell you not to be but your actions today, joining this web site, talking to other survivors and reading how everyone is healing day by day...IS definitely a step forward and for the positive. Try to see a little piece of good you have gained today, it's there if you look for it. Baby steps are steps non the less. Keep up your strength.

always,

#172394 - 08/10/07 02:26 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Agape Girl]
hideout Offline

i appreciate everything everyone here does for eevryone else, but its sstill hard for me even to look at what happened to other people
its just so horrible

#172397 - 08/10/07 02:36 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: hideout]
Agape Girl Offline

Your right it is! But, I still care for you none the less, your a human being and I'm sure many already do here. Honor yourself and give yourself time, your worth it!

always,

Edited by Agape Girl (08/10/07 02:36 PM)

#172481 - 08/10/07 07:10 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: Agape Girl]
Stefan012 Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
sometimes my father locked me out of the house, then i would sleep in the bikeshed, always kept some blankets there for such nights. It was cold and uncomfortable but at least that night i wasnt going to get r&&ed so it also felt safe in a way.

No they can't take them away, so they won't

#172521 - 08/10/07 08:48 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: hideout]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hideout,

Welcome to MaleSurvivor. I love your avatar, Buddy! Totally awesome!

You may consider yourself to be a f***up. I understand that. I've been there. I'll make you a deal. I'll believe in your worth and value for you if that's OK. You just talk to us as you can. Tell us how much it hurts. Tell us your frustrations. Even tell us if you have trouble liking yourself. Myself, Larry, Andy, Dwayne, Bryan, and so may others will offer an understanding ear, a helping hand, and most of all we'll like you for who you are. We'll value you and the very cool things that are a part of you that you may not even realize you have. Is that OK?

Lots of love,

John

#172530 - 08/10/07 09:40 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: WalkingSouth]
hideout Offline

thanks everyone:)

#172538 - 08/10/07 10:34 PM Re: Does anyone sleep in their clothes? [Re: hideout]
Aidanchase Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I sleep in my cloths usually I don't even sleep in my bed more like pass out on the couch or floor or in my computer chair I don't like sleeping in my bed usually.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.