Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (GT13568, Ocellaris, 2 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63370 Topics
443126 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170521 - 08/02/07 12:14 PM Anger and fear and the male survivor weekends?
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I'm considering attending a Male Survivor weekend this fall, but I feel a lot of fear. The biggest fear I have is around anger. When I think about telling my story, it brings up intense anger and I'm afraid I can't handle it. I think I probably would survive it, but I fear I can't, and that is eating me up. So I've been thinking that an opportunity like the weekend might help me get through that. But then I worry that it'll won't - that I'll explode and not be able to contain it. Which doesn't make much rational sense, because that's at least part of the problem: I don't want to contain it any more. It's like trying to avoid spilling a bucket of acid that I can't put down and I can see that the bucket is going to fail sometime if I don't get rid of it. I'm tired and I don't want to carry this any more!

So I'm wondering what those of you who've attended a weekend think of that.

What was your experience like?

Was it safe?

Did it hurt?

Was it worth it?

My head tells me that I'd be likely to survive the weekend, but my gut doesn't by it. I'd like some reassurance that others actually have.

Mike

#170524 - 08/02/07 01:40 PM Re: Anger and fear and the male survivor weekends? [Re: mike5]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Mike all I can say is that it is the most careing and safe place that I have been at. By all means go, it will change your life.

Tom

#170530 - 08/02/07 01:58 PM Re: Anger and fear and the male survivor weekends? [Re: Muldoon]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Mike,

First of all welcome to the site. I think you'll find that this place can help you a lot; it's a safe place to talk and let out what's on your mind, including all those fears and anger.

I have never been to a Weekend of Recovery, but I think you will find they're a wonderful experience. All the guys who go speak as Tom has above - it can be a life-changing event.

One thing you can be absolutely sure about is that you will be safe there. The facilitators are experts who have years of experience working with survivors of sexual abuse, the groups are small, and after you register a facilitator will call you to talk about what to expect and to ask if you have any anxieties or questions. That would be a good opportunity to talk about your anger issues.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#170541 - 08/02/07 02:56 PM Re: Anger and fear and the male survivor weekends? [Re: roadrunner]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

hi mike-----------------give it a try-------------i havent done one--------------i am slated to do the utah thing if i dont chicken out--------------------------my best to you-----------------steve

#170557 - 08/02/07 04:44 PM Re: Anger and fear and the male survivor weekends? [Re: sabata]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Mike,

i specialize in fear and anger. i've already let the fear talk me out of a Recovery Weekend, and i've been kicking myself ever since. now before you say i have time to change my mind - i'm aware of that but i've already committed to other things that will fill that time slot (i'm good at avoidance) and as such i have no right to say much ...

anyhoo - my point - and i can't prove this - but i TRULY believe you will be much better off if you go to a Weekend and don't sabatoge yourself like i have.

from what i understand, you "enter" the weekend experience on even ground with all other survivors. what can be better at resolving fear?

do yourself this favor.

M

#170635 - 08/02/07 10:23 PM Re: Anger and fear and the male survivor weekends? [Re: mike5]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
I can tell you from personal experience,although very apprehansive,the re-treat i attended back in march was awesome and extremely emotionally intense.

The counselors both m/f and facilitators ( who strictly deal with male survivor issues for over 20 years who do in fact have their own practices)were very supportive and the compassion and professionalism they portrayed was amazingly comforting.

Feeling the way you do is comepletly normal afterall i felt the same way and i had many chances to back out seeing i came all the way across the country from boston to san francisco therefore it was a long ride.

I promise you if you get anything out of the re-treat it will be a perspective only you can come out with this experience will be reasurring and change your life in ways you could never imagine possible.

The re-treat will offer you a sense of self,self-esteem,self-worth and strengthen your boundaries to a level you would perhaps never attain on your own.

Finally i can tell you it is NOT something you want to "try" because the thoughts/feelings/and emotions you will experience can definitely be overwhelming however at no time will you feel unsafe because ALL THE COUSELORS will be sure your safety is at their utmost concern.Talk with your therapist(if you have one) and your loved ones because you will need the support before and especially afterwards when you get home.God bless you and if you have any questions feel free to talk with me and others on here.Be gentle with yourself,put you first and you will be ok.

Coopstah

#170697 - 08/03/07 09:59 AM Re: Anger and fear and the male survivor weekends? [Re: thecoopstah]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

I want to add that the ratio of counselors to attendees is between 3:1 and 4:1, and in no session are there fewer than two counselors in attendance, so someone is always available should something come up, and they are more than happy to take you aside for a one-on-one chat.

It really is a worthwhile experience, and I highly recommend it. I would be going to Alta next month if I could afford it.

Edited by Dewey2k (08/03/07 10:03 AM)

#170774 - 08/03/07 04:37 PM Re: Anger and fear and the male survivor weekends? [Re: Dewey2k]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Mike, the Utah WOR will be my first weekend attendig an MS pgm. I have attended 2 Mike Lew Weekends and all the questions you're asking were similar to mine! If I let my 'gut' win, I would have missed a terific opportunity I feel I could get no where else.

I deal with alot of folks who are champion avoiders. I've learned that a bad case of the "what ifs" keeps a person dead in the water full of promises of "someday, I'm going to..." which usually doesn't happen. They start the "what if's" before the next event and feel safer avoiding that one too.

For myself, I promise myself...commit myself...go for it! I find that I benefit every time!!

Look forward to seeing you in Utah!!!

Howard

#170776 - 08/03/07 04:39 PM Re: Anger and fear and the male survivor weekends? [Re: Dewey2k]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Dewey2k
I would be going to Alta next month if I could afford it.

Same here.

M

#170807 - 08/03/07 06:48 PM Re: Anger and fear and the male survivor weekends? [Re: MarkK]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

cool-------------i will be able to meet you all in person-----------------------------steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.