Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (SoccerStar, AL-S, CheerfulJohn, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64019 Topics
446782 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170445 - 08/02/07 04:11 AM .
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by BJK (02/09/08 12:55 PM)

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#170446 - 08/02/07 05:27 AM Re: hyper-sensitive sadness (triggers) [Re: BJK]
shining_light Offline
New Here

Wow!

I am new to this forum. In fact it the first forum I have found on sexual abuse.

I hope it will be productive for me and everyone here.

I wanted to respond to your post -- I'm glad you said the truth. I have also gone through sexual abuse, only I remember mine very well.

Yes, I am susceptible to arousal in the way you mentioned -- and it is quite ruining my life. How could I feel comfortable getting married and having children of my own. Something like this is so difficult to change.

But I think with the help of faith in God I am slowly overcoming it and other related issues (self-esteem).

Will write more when the time is right.

#170455 - 08/02/07 07:08 AM Re: hyper-sensitive sadness (triggers) [Re: shining_light]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

BJK,

This is not about "who you are" but rather "what was done to you."

My experiences started at three...petting the cat gives me an erection and there is obviously no reasonable outcome possible there, no matter how you look at it. It happens when anyone touches me.

However odd it may sound or seem...as I explained it to my T, he said very simply, "Next time it happens, just say to yourself, Well, isn't that interesting!" Which may seem completely ridiculous and I am certainly not trying to minimize the discomfort you are feeling around this. But it puts it very neatly into context.

There is the fact that we have these experiences and there is the fact that we are perceived as a threat because of them.

One of the motivating factors for getting back into therapy for me was an exchange between my wife and I about our "most embarrassing moments." She is very aware of my history and also very supportive. So I thought about it, decided to be completely honest and open...and shared an experience that involved my best friend when we were thirteen.

We were carrying a canoe over our heads out of the lake back up onto the beach in Boy Scouts...and it happened, I was in the back...both of my arms over my head not able to let go of the canoe or conceal the obvious fact that it was happening...in full view of everyone. We were testing for the Canoeing Merit Badge. Which involved wearing our uniforms, fully dressed, rowing out...capsizing the canoe and then using our uniforms for flotation devices. Forty five minutes floating without treading water by using our shirts, the same by using our pants. As we carried the canoe out of the water all we had on was our underwear...which does very little to conceal or constrict what was happening in terms of erections. I was devastated...and as I shared it with my with, she very simply smiled and said, "How cute."

No, I said...you are not getting it. She laughed, said, "Yea, I am. It is cute." Which challenged me to completely reconsider how I had always perceived that moment. Because when you are thirteen just waking up in the morning gives ya an errection. They are unpredictable except in the fact that it seems like it is going to happen at the most inconvenient times. And no one told me...no one told me that it was normal.

Therapy is about challenging old perceptions and beliefs. Challenging ourselves to revisit and reconsider what we thought was true...stepping out of the isolation we inflict upon ourselves because we are taught or told and convinced that there is something wrong with what we feel. What we need or want might be minimized, ignored and or dismissed all together.

But this is not about who you are, BJK...it is about what was done to you.

:-)

Dave

#170488 - 08/02/07 10:03 AM Re: hyper-sensitive sadness (triggers) *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: ttoon]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by BJK

Edited by BJK (08/02/07 10:15 AM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#170497 - 08/02/07 10:29 AM Re: hyper-sensitive sadness (triggers) [Re: BJK]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Hey guys, I'm glad someone brought this up too. I have wondered many, many times why it seems that no one on this board seems to mention events of inappropriate arousal. I figured that it must be common in our situation, but this is the first time I have actually heard anyone admit it.

It happens to me too, usually if I'm reading someone's recollection of the physical events. It does make me feel ashamed, but I just ignore it because I don't know what else to do.

If it makes you feel any better, it happens less and less as I become educated and read more people's abusive stories.

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#170520 - 08/02/07 12:14 PM Re: hyper-sensitive sadness (triggers) *DELETED* [Re: cbfull]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by BJK

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#170596 - 08/02/07 08:13 PM Re: hyper-sensitive sadness (triggers) [Re: BJK]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey, guys...

We need to have a serious conversation about this, guys.

This happens to be a topic that I am very passionate about because of the misconceptions and fear around it all.

I am not a professional, first and foremost. The things I write are opinions only, based on my personal experiences.

I have talked to so many guys who feel exactly as you describe...and it keeps them from seeking help...from disclosing.

It is difficult enough and the issues around being a survivor are many...but this one REALLY pisses me off.

Let's do away with the words, "inappropriate arousal" and just call it what it is, arousal. Let's do away with judgment for a moment and look at what you are saying. You are saying you are being triggered...not that you think they are hot.

It does take a lot of courage to bring it up...but like with most things in recovery...the greatest risks can and often do bring the greatest rewards. Because this is EXACTLY what therapy is about.

If you want to talk...PM me.

Dave

#170614 - 08/02/07 08:57 PM Re: hyper-sensitive sadness (triggers) [Re: ttoon]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
What BJK has described might be found in a chapter of a book that was written nearly 20 years ago. It looks at the abuse of a child's sexuality (in addition to the sexual abuse that readers here are familiar with.) It is about the home environment that s/he grows up in.

In my book (now in the editing stage) there is a section talking about this. Here is part of the chapter:

There is a useful chapter in a book by Bolton, Morris, and MacEachron (Males at Risk: the other side of sexual abuse, Sage, 1989) that talks about the “abuse of sexuality model”. Rather than just considering behaviors that are overt, such as fondling, oral sex, digital penetration, intercourse, etc., the authors look at the sexual environment that the child experiences in the home.

They discuss a range of environments that go from positive and non-abusive, to an abuse of the child’s sexuality, to sexually abusive. This model is useful because many survivors have experienced, in addition to actual sexual abuse inflicted on them, mixed or confusing messages about sexuality in the home they grew up. (This model is also useful for non-survivors to look at the environment they grew up in to better understand their attitudes and belief systems about sexuality.)

The ideal environment is one in which the child receives accurate and age-appropriate information. For example, if a four-year old child asks where babies come from, he is not told that they are delivered by the stork or found under a cabbage leaf. Stating that the baby grows in the mother’s stomach may be what the child needs to hear at that time. Discussing how the baby gets there in the first place will be given later with age-appropriate information that is understandable for the child’s developmental stage.

That is, he is not going to be able to grasp a technical de>

#170620 - 08/02/07 09:17 PM Re: hyper-sensitive sadness (triggers) *DELETED* [Re: ttoon]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by BJK

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#170621 - 08/02/07 09:21 PM Re: hyper-sensitive sadness (triggers) *DELETED* [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by BJK

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.