Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
5 registered (pufferfish, highflight, JW1230, 2 invisible), 37 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63640 Topics
444468 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#169352 - 07/27/07 02:32 PM Now there's something you don't see every day.
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/27/falling.ice.ap/index.html

Quote:
DUBUQUE, Iowa (AP) -- Large chunks of ice, one of them reportedly about 50 pounds, fell from the sky in this northeast Iowa city, smashing through a woman's roof and tearing through nearby trees.

Authorities were unsure of the ice's origin but have theorized the chunks either fell from an airplane or naturally accumulated high in the atmosphere -- both rare occurrences.

"It sounded like a bomb!" 78-year-old Jan Kenkel said. She said she was standing in her kitchen when an ice chunk crashed through her roof at about 5:30 a.m. Thursday. "I jumped about a foot!"

She traced the damage to her television room, where she found a messy pile of insulation, bits of ceiling, splintered wood and about 50 pounds of solid ice.

Karle and Mary Beth Wigginton, who live a block away, heard a loud "whoosh" coming through the trees. They discovered several large chunks of ice in front of their home and some smaller ones in the yard and in the street.

See, that's just creepy. I'm glad nobody was standing outside when this happened.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#169354 - 07/27/07 02:35 PM Re: Now there's something you don't see every day. [Re: melliferal]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
That's some mean hail!

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#169476 - 07/28/07 12:49 PM Re: Now there's something you don't see every day. [Re: FormerTexan]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Amazing!

I remember reading a story about an event in the UK years ago where it was thousands of small fish decending from a clear English sky and landing on a neighborhood!

Go Figure!

John

#169477 - 07/28/07 01:11 PM Re: Now there's something you don't see every day. [Re: WalkingSouth]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
mel always finds the cool stuff.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#169497 - 07/28/07 04:25 PM Re: Now there's something you don't see every day. [Re: FormerTexan]
emptydreamer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Midwest USA
DAMN, and to think I worry about hail the size of a golf ball!!!

#169558 - 07/28/07 08:52 PM Re: Now there's something you don't see every day. [Re: emptydreamer]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: emptydreamer
DAMN, and to think I worry about hail the size of a golf ball!!!

Indeed. Until I read this article, I was convinced that hail didn't exist until after coins and sports were invented.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.