Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
1 registered (manipulated), 18 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64153 Topics
447638 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#168964 - 07/25/07 02:22 PM Re: Do I have to decide between God and Therapy? [Re: terpprm]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I too have my best friend and counselor in my pastor. But that hasn't always been the case. I've also had pastors who almost destroyed my life.

I think people of God are like everyone else. Some are good, some aren't. After all, forgiven doesn't mean perfected....

my 2 cents

M

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#168970 - 07/25/07 02:57 PM Re: Do I have to decide between God and Therapy? [Re: MarkK]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
as some of you might already know I'm not really a religious person. but why can't you do therapy and still be involved in your church? God wants you to be healthy so if a T will help you feel healthy i think its okay to give up some of your church time for your recovery.

,Chris

#168987 - 07/25/07 04:27 PM Re: Do I have to decide between God and Therapy? [Re: theatrekid]
terpprm Offline

Loc: Elyria, Ohio
your right chris. you can have both. there isn't any reason you can't have both. i just prefer not to pay for t. my perp was a pastor's son. and my previous pastor wronged me big time, but on a different subject. so i understand about those of you who don't trust clergy, because they've been wronged by them. it's just my personal preference.

#168989 - 07/25/07 05:04 PM Re: Do I have to decide between God and Therapy? [Re: terpprm]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
for what it's worth - I try to keep my T within the same "belief system" as where I am. It just makes it less clumsy at times, knowing they won't recommend something I wouldn't do, or balking at how I handle something because of my faith.

M

#168994 - 07/25/07 05:24 PM Re: Do I have to decide between God and Therapy? [Re: MarkK]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Buzz,

Okay...shocker here...but my second therapist advertised himself as a "Christian Counselor."

Because I think that, in recovery, using what you know only helps to facilitate the process. Therapy is about improving the quality of our relationships...the relationship you have with God will also be improved through the process.

Not one or the other...but both. If your therapist is not up for it...then it is a failing on his or her part...there are some really good Christian Counselors out there. :-)

My faith has only been enhanced through this process...

Dave

#169016 - 07/25/07 08:14 PM Re: Do I have to decide between God and Therapy? [Re: ttoon]
buzz_key Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Everyone....EXCELLENT discussion going on. My T is very deep faith wise...and that has really helped.

God has really been speaking to me - conversations, books, etc. - about the fact that He is the source for this healing...and I agree, He provided T's to assist those in need.

#169397 - 07/27/07 09:47 PM Re: Do I have to decide between God and Therapy? [Re: buzz_key]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
I found myself pondering why the two, recovery and church, have been seperate to this point.

Buzz,

To my way of thinking, the most ideal model of recovery is a melding of the two. I would think to those who are spiritually minded that they could not be separated in the long run.

At least recovery and spirituality. Church and recovery are a totally different story. Many time I think Church and religion can be a detriment to recovery if either or both are not also spiritual, and how many churches/religions are out there that "have a form of Godliness, but deny the power thereof?" Far too many I think.

You'll find what you are looking for. Just keep looking.

Lots of love,

John

Edited by walkingsouth (07/27/07 09:50 PM)

#169710 - 07/29/07 11:56 PM Re: Do I have to decide between God and Therapy? [Re: WalkingSouth]
Mark Antony Offline

Loc: Michigan
I say pray about everything. When you are done praying then it is time to take action. Like get a councelor,ect. I view the Christian faith as one of action pray first so we are inspired on what to do. Do not just pray and wait for results. We need to be involved with our life not just let it happen to us. Church and a councelor are a very good combination the compliment each other well, when you have the proper councelor.

Mark Antony

#442427 - 07/28/13 03:52 PM Re: Do I have to decide between God and Therapy? [Re: buzz_key]
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
I think the two can go hand in hand. I use a Christian T and am working on healing. I know God is in that with me and if I'm not as active at Church as I would like to be, I think it's because He wants me to focus on the healing He is providing for me. I do try to read scripture daily and connect daily with God in prayer. I know it will take time for my process, but God brought me to the right people to help me in this, so I'm sure he's ok with what I'm doing. It does help to check in with Him daily too. smile

#442436 - 07/28/13 06:54 PM Re: Do I have to decide between God and Therapy? [Re: buzz_key]
genedebs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MO
Dear Buzz

Clearly There is no need for conflict,just as you would seek help from professionals for restoration of health, the help from professionals for mental health is the same.

To open yourself (just as it is for me) to God's mercy is part of the healing process. To expect all professional to be excellent is unrealistic, whether they be clergy or otherwise. Some of my experiences have found my unwillingness to follow the advise of my rabbi Some of my experiences have found me unwilling to follow the recommendations of my therapist.

Whether I was right or wrong when I did that, doesn't matter. I have continued to "act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God." Also, I continue in therapy.

We all have different stories and we all are just the same.

Go with God

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.