Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
1 registered (Mr. Malaise), 26 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63172 Topics
441743 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#168397 - 07/22/07 11:25 AM Massage
des6263 Offline

Loc: midwest, US
I am a certified massage therapist, I was wondering if anyone had incorporated massage into their recovery? I have read some articles on it being used in conjunction with counseling. Just curious if anyone has used it? Any thoughts or in put about the idea?

#168410 - 07/22/07 12:23 PM Re: Massage [Re: des6263]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
I know many massage therapists that incorporate massage with counseling. It makes sense! Body memories...touch and relaxation brings sensations that some folks can't understand..etc.

Howard

#168474 - 07/22/07 08:02 PM Re: Massage [Re: ScottyTodd]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
I have had massage as a part of my recovery and have found it helpful. I know many abuse survivors have a difficult time with bodywork but I enjoy it and feel it works well for me.

Dale

#169015 - 07/25/07 08:12 PM Re: Massage [Re: Elad 12]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
having a massage by a stranger sounds terrifying to me.

,chris

#169019 - 07/25/07 08:20 PM Re: Massage [Re: theatrekid]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh, man...I'm with ya on that one, TK...

Dave

#169049 - 07/25/07 10:47 PM Re: Massage [Re: des6263]
Army Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Hey Des6263,

I have been using massage in my recovery. First I had to get comfortable with the idea of a man touching my body. This was a big step though, because it helped me to work though touch by a man that was not sexual. It has taken some time but now I get a massage every few months. Today was really great, I am traveling and got a massage by a blind male therapist. It was the most comfortable I have ever felt. He was so kind and healing and I wasn't scared about him looking at my stuff or doing something too me.

Are you a survior? If not, please understand that trust is the issue here, and fear. Several fears come to my mind... is he gonna touch me... Am I gonna get excited because of a trigger? Can I know that this guy is safe? What do I do if I start to feel uncomfortable?

Out of all my massages, around 30 at this point, I have to say that nothing "bad" has happened to me. All the men that have given me a massage have been utter professionals. It has been great healing in my recovery. I learned to trust other men more because of it. And that my body doen't have to respond in a sexual way because of my abuse. Hope this helps.

Army

#169052 - 07/25/07 11:27 PM Re: Massage [Re: Army]
terpprm Offline

Loc: Elyria, Ohio
where does one go to get a massage? and what kind of massage is most recommended? don't the women do the men and the men the women? how do i select the right massage therapist?

#169054 - 07/25/07 11:52 PM Re: Massage [Re: terpprm]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I know my docs have said many times that massage would be very good for me because of my M.D. (though it would be painful - it would help to flush out the toxins)

I keep telling myself I'm going to do it - then chicken out - I know I could'nt have a guy do it

what does one even wear? - I've heard that one wears nothing? - cept a towel (and even that gets moved around)?

I do really worry about feelings/emmotions that might come up durring it

Army -
Quote:
Am I gonna get excited because of a trigger?
- that is something that worries me too

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#169062 - 07/26/07 12:53 AM Re: Massage [Re: TJ jeff]
terpprm Offline

Loc: Elyria, Ohio
that's another thing with me. the whole naked thing. i've never been naked around anybody since the csa, i don't know about that!

#169079 - 07/26/07 06:42 AM Re: Massage [Re: terpprm]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, hmmm?

I certainly admire yer attitude, Army...

My experiences started at three. I am sexual...no ifs ands or buts about it. Petting the cat gives me an erection so...massage??? Uhm, no...

My very first therapist suggested, "Bodywork," I laughed, she seemed genuinely surprised that I was unwilling to try it. When she located a group...I walked right into that...workshops, I went...but massage? No...

I often wonder what the general public imagines it is like to be a survivor? My experiences were almost choreographed in my estimation...long and drawn out, as if the whole purpose was to provoke a physical response so he could watch me burn.

The concept of a massage sounds cool...maybe someday.

Dave

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.