Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
4 registered (Itchy Feet, petercorbett, Sonata1, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447613 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#167391 - 07/18/07 08:39 AM Re: One time [Re: jessedawg]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jesse,

In my case it was alcohol until I went to college. Then I got into drugs as well - everything but heroin, which wasn't all that easy to find back then. My big thing was to be tripping, stoned and drunk all at once. Sex scared me and made me feel bad about being me; abuse had taught me that sex was about two people getting off by one sexually using and trashing the other. Needless to say, with that kind of attitude and in the condition I was usually in, I mostly ended up in messed up relationships that weren't really relationships at all. That made me feel even worse, but I figured hey, this is all I deserve.

See what I mean about the screwed-up thinking that abuse sticks in our heads? It's like it got in there and messed up all the settings in our minds, making us believe all kinds of crap about ourselves that just isn't true.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#167392 - 07/18/07 08:40 AM Re: One time [Re: jessedawg]
pain4ever Offline

Originally Posted By: jessedawg
So Im interested to see what reactions are to that- most people that know about it think Im a goddamn psycho.

Jesse,

I dealt with severe anger for so long and when I went into therapy I found out I had ERD...Explosive Rage Disorder. I acted like a psycho but you know what I wasnt...just full of rage and anger toward my abuser that had never been expressed. It sucks but with proper counseling you can control it I promise.

Numbing out is a bad cycle. I did it for years using pain killers. It only provides temporary releif. When the meds wore off I was worse than ever. I still numb out with alchol everyonce in a while, but we need a break everyonce in a while right. We need a break and as long as its not a habit, I dont see a problem with that.

Brian

#167395 - 07/18/07 08:45 AM Re: One time [Re: pain4ever]
jessedawg Offline

Loc: New York
Dont know what to say to either one of you- dont want to believe what youre saying but I have no argument for any of it either

#167400 - 07/18/07 08:55 AM Re: One time [Re: jessedawg]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Jesse,

It's difficult to give up ways of thinking that we have gotten used to - those ways are what we know and they somehow feel comfortable, even if they make us feel really bad. If someone suggests a different way of looking at things, our first reaction will be to think "Why should I trust any of that?" One answer would be to look and see that these different way seems to have helped a LOT of guys...maybe it can help me too.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#167401 - 07/18/07 08:57 AM Re: One time [Re: roadrunner]
pain4ever Offline

In time you will see and trust, but that takes time.

#167416 - 07/18/07 09:21 AM Re: One time [Re: pain4ever]
jessedawg Offline

About how long do you think? can't I get some kind of time frame here? lol

#167422 - 07/18/07 09:27 AM Re: One time [Re: jessedawg]
pain4ever Offline

LOL...depends on the person and therapy...there is no defined rules for these things. You have to change the way you think....get the abusers out of your head!!

#167424 - 07/18/07 09:34 AM Re: One time [Re: pain4ever]
jessedawg Offline

someone should come up with a rule book

#167430 - 07/18/07 09:44 AM Re: One time [Re: jessedawg]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Jesse,

When a boy is sexually abused he is harmed in two ways. First, of course, is the physical harm that is done to him. That's a terrible thing to endure, but it does have a time when it began and a time when it ended.

Far worse is the emotional hurt; that goes on and on and can harm the guy for years, even decades. It doesn't "go away". A guy can stuff it back and try to forget about it, but the effects of abuse - all the bad feelings and false ideas he has picked up - just slide under the surface and continue to harm him even when he doesn't realize that's what's happening.

There can't be any hard-and-fast rule book or timetable for healing, Jesse, for the simple reason that we are all different guys, have different backgrounds, beliefs and ideas, were hurt in different ways, and have different needs. There are indeed truths and realities about how all this works, but we all have to look at those aids, see how they can help us in our own case, and then get started on our own.

The biggest reason why there can't be any timetable that Larry (for example) can hand over to Jesse is that what Larry has are the strategies and ideas that have worked for him. What Jesse needs will in some ways be very different, and Jesse's timetable will depend a lot on how he needs to approach his problems and what he feels safe doing. That's very difficult to predict, especially at the beginning.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#167432 - 07/18/07 09:49 AM Re: One time [Re: roadrunner]
jessedawg Offline

understood

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.