Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
4 registered (crabbott, tbkkfile, bluesky, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#166715 - 07/14/07 08:41 PM WOW - I think!
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
I’m in shock! Good – better than good! Stunned!!

Today I went out with a couple of friends for a late celebratory drink for my 50th birthday, *I’ve had other celebrations nearer the time (29th June).

I wanted to go out for a drink with what I consider to be two of my best friends, although it’s been some time since we were all out together – I didn’t know if it was going to be just the 3 of us, or if more would be there. I hoped that it would just be the 3 of us, because it would be the first time since the court case, that others would not be there (I always wanted to talk to friends rather than acquaintances after the case, but there have been limited opportunities for that to happen).

I subconsciously wondered what my ranking (?) was with everyone (I feel sad saying that, but I know how many people here think along those lines), and thought that I was just being tolerated by the people that I love (do you know how difficult it is for me to say that I love people).

Well today, I went out and had a drink with those 2 friends. One is buying his first house, and is concerned about the debt he is taking on. Myself and my other friend assured him that he will be OK (and he will).

The other friend already has a house, and recently turned 40. He has wanted to be a father for so long (probably not as much as I would like to be) and was presented with his first child just after his 40th birthday.

I had a discussion recently with my friend about ‘god parents’ and all the associated issues, and the relevance to their child. I said that I was not religious in the way that some people were (or at all – I believe in a higher being, but not in gods that would discriminate and cause destruction between religions), but that I understood things in a way that meant you did the best that you could for any child, not just a specific child.

I was very hesitant about going out today, because I just dislike social situations since the court case. I did feel uncomfortable to start with, then I gradually felt better and better. *Why should I even feel uncomfortable with 2 of the people I trust most in the whole world?

We did a tour of all the ‘dive bars’ – those with good beer and music.

A song came on the juke box that my friend (recent parent) said reminded him of his dad (died of colon cancer). The next song was ‘Shine on you crazy diamond’ by Pink Floyd. Don’t know if you’ve heard this song, but it starts off with some very atmospheric guitar, and the first lyrics are: Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun (once I was bright and vibrant)….shine on you crazy diamond (people call me eccentric – suppose that’s the same as crazy)!

The song had just hit the lyrics, when my friend (recent father) said: Can I ask you something? I’ve been wanting to ask you for several weeks (and several hours today), will you be GodFather to ****?

I said: ‘Don’t ask me if you don’t want me to be – remember, I’m not religious! I was also stunned! They had so many people to ask ahead of me. His wife was at home with the baby, but it was a mutual decision that they asked me first and then decide who else they would ask.

They asked me because of how much they think I care about their daughter, and how I have supported them through some issues they had.

I’m made up!

WOW – today I went out for a social occasion full of apprehension, ready to run home after a couple of pints. I didn’t run!

Yes I will do the best I can for my GodChild **** -what an honour!

Sometimes it’s good…..best wishes …Rik

Sometimes I judge myself in a way that others do not, I just think they do!

#166720 - 07/14/07 09:24 PM Re: WOW - I think! [Re: RICK57]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

hety..........Rik....thats great.......so glad for you...........................i can relate to.........................sometimes i judge myself in a way that others do not..............i just think they do...................boy thats me...................take care.....................steve

#166721 - 07/14/07 09:25 PM Re: WOW - I think! [Re: sabata]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Rik,

Very cool...that is an honor...Congratulations!!!

Dave

#166727 - 07/14/07 10:13 PM Re: WOW - I think! [Re: ttoon]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Being a Godparent is an awsome responsibility, and being asked is an awsome compliment. Obviously, your friend knows a lot about you and he and his wife decided that you were the best person to protect and nurture their daughter other than themselves. What a rush!

I think they made an excellent choice. Who better to nurture and protect a child than someone who knows first hand the results should he fail? But you won't fail for just that reason, and other reasons as well.

Congratulations, Uncle Rik!

Lazarus

PS, my godparents were the two most important people in my life, other than my real parents. I love them dearly to this day. Perhaps even more...

#166728 - 07/14/07 10:21 PM Re: WOW - I think! [Re: ttoon]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Rik,

It's a reflection of the value your friends place on you and an individual. Even tho we've moved quite a distance into our recovery it still shocks us when we discover our friends actually place that kind of value on us.

What an awesome compliment to and awesome man!

Lots of love,

John

#166778 - 07/15/07 10:57 AM Re: WOW - I think! [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Rik,

What a wonderful story, and I'm sure you will make a great godfather. It's a revealing moment when this kind of thing happens, isn't it? It shows us that others see in us so much more than we are willing to concede ourselves. And you know what? They're right!

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#166780 - 07/15/07 11:06 AM Re: WOW - I think! [Re: roadrunner]
Alexander Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Awesome \:\)

But I am screaming underneath

#166831 - 07/15/07 03:08 PM Re: WOW - I think! [Re: Alexander]
deck Offline

Loc: Indiana
Congratulations!!! That is wonderful!!

#166915 - 07/16/07 12:15 AM Re: WOW - I think! [Re: deck]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Very cool, Rik, and it always seems that we wonder why anyone would want to honor us in such a way, doesn't it? The truth is, because you are a good, honorable man and they see that in you. You'll make an incredible godfather to this child, am so happy for you!

#166918 - 07/16/07 05:22 AM Re: WOW - I think! [Re: EGL]
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
Thanks everyone. That's what I like about this site, everyone supports each other and can appreciate it when something good happens.

It's nice to be able to come here with a positive story.

There's also an unexpected spin off - my anxiety levels this morning are lower than I ever remember them - hope it lasts!

Best wishes ...Rik

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.