Newest Members
pjmd, j_f1974, Dan234racer, ajax, marmill252
12431 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mTm (55), Oz (28)
Who's Online
6 registered (pattom, Obi, Jacob S, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12431 Members
74 Forums
63839 Topics
445788 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#165274 - 07/07/07 07:40 PM Are you being nice?
Marinan Offline

I"ve wondered about how nice I am being treated. So, I can't help but feel here that MaleSurvivors are only treating me nice, and know I'm stupid or something.

#165290 - 07/07/07 08:53 PM Re: Are you being nice? [Re: Marinan]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Marinan,

That's an absolutely common feeling among survivors and it's good you ask about it. If you think back to when you were a boy you may well see that you had a lot of self-esteem problems and didn't think you were worth much. Abuse does that to us: we think it was all our fault and that we deserved what we got. We also develop problems trusting people and wonder "what does he really want?"

On a site like this those two problems can come together and make a guy wonder, "Okay, what's really going on here? Why is everyone treating me so well?" I can't say you will never ever be treated badly here, but if that happens just tell a moderator right away. This really is a great community and a safe place where we can begin to undo all those false lessons from our past.

You are treated well here because that's what you deserve.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#165365 - 07/08/07 08:13 AM Re: Are you being nice? [Re: roadrunner]
Barney Offline

Loc: Southern Utah/Northern Arizon
Larry really said it like it is. How about allowing yourself to consider the possibility that we really do care about you as well as each other just because you are you? It has nothing to do with your being stupid or anything else.

Hopefully, you will continue to reach out and test us and eventually learn that what your seeing and feeling here is for real, something we all have done or need to do to in our recovery.

The best,

Barney

#165386 - 07/08/07 12:30 PM Re: Are you being nice? [Re: Barney]
ecb Offline
MaleSurvivor

I tend to feel like that anytime someone is treating me well, in spite of who they are.

We are treating you nicely, because we understand at lot of your difficulties here.

Eric

#165407 - 07/08/07 03:17 PM Re: Are you being nice? [Re: ecb]
KeithR Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Georgia
You aren't stupid that's for sure. You've already said a couple of things to me that have helped me see things a little differently. You've been a help to me. You're a smart person.

I welcome you again to the site.

Oh yeah.... and you DO deserve to be treated nice.

Keith

#165408 - 07/08/07 03:21 PM Re: Are you being nice? [Re: KeithR]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

^ ^ What he said ^ ^

\:\)

#388469 - 03/06/12 02:01 AM . [Re: Marinan]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 11:22 PM)

#388483 - 03/06/12 03:09 AM Re: Are you being nice? [Re: Life's A Dream]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
LAD - Don't leave unless you really need to.

I appreciate your contibutions - really - not just being nice or lying - though i'be been told i'm pretty good at both. wonder if you can do both at the same time? LOL

Seriously - don't worry about anyone else but you right now.
Lee

Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#388625 - 03/07/12 01:21 PM Re: Are you being nice? [Re: traveler]
Asmodeus Offline

Loc: Vestavia, Alabama, USA
Wondering why someone is being nice to me is why most of my friends were friends with my sister before I met them. Then it took at least another year before I quit thinking of them as just her friends. It's only happened twice, but my mind has been blown away each time I found out that I had been friends with one of our friends longer than she has. She even has one friend I was in a class with in school, but even after looking through year books I can't remember meeting him until I saw him with her.

#388628 - 03/07/12 01:42 PM Re: Are you being nice? [Re: Asmodeus]
ACRoberts Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey (recently moved fro...
LAD,
Your statement sounds like I feel most of the time. I think people are just patronizing me. I guess some are, but I even feel it when I am with the members of my survivor group. I think it is some conditioning that put me in my place for my uncle to continue his abusive behavior toward me.
I agree with Lee, focus on what YOU need and try to tune out the messages playing in the back of your mind that tell you that people are just humoring you.
We are all in this together!

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.