Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
5 registered (Obi, Cthulhu, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447613 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#164744 - 07/04/07 02:03 PM A Teenager's Journey by Richard B. Pelzer
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

A Teenager's Journey
A Memoir
Overcoming a Childhood of Abuse

Richard B. Pelzer
Published by Warner Books

I just completed this book. I bought it in a bookstore while I was away at my father's funeral. The book is written by the brother of the well known author of the biographical series of books "A Child Called IT", "The Lost Boy", etc., David Pelzer.

This book tells the story of Richard who, after his older brother David was rescued from "The worst case of child abuse in California State history", became the next victim of his mother's horrific brutality. It tells of his decent into drugs and sex addictions, of his attempts to end it all, and his search for meaning to life outside the terrible abuse.

It tells of his growth into adulthood, his desire for acceptance and his eventual turn to those whom he knew genuinely cared. He speaks of his healing journey and ultimately of the peace he made with his past and his future.

A definitely powerful read for those who have been physically and emotionally abused in the home and also has huge impact for those who are struggling with sexual abuse in their childhood.

Very powerful book, especially in the final chapters. Eloquently written.

Larry, Eddie, I reccommend it for the Book Room along with his other book, "A Brother's Journey".

John

#164746 - 07/04/07 02:50 PM Re: A Teenager's Journey by Richard B. Pelzer [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
John,

Thanks for the tip. We'll get that one into the Bookstore too. I spoke recently, by the way, to someone who knows the Pelzer family, and he says no one had any idea what was going on in that home. Imagine, all that horrific abuse and outside the front door everything looks cool and normal. Frightening thought.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#164776 - 07/04/07 06:13 PM Re: A Teenager's Journey by Richard B. Pelzer [Re: roadrunner]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Thanks for the review, John.

I have added a new category to the Bookstore called "The Pelzer Books" with entries for all the books available through Amazon by the Pelzer brothers.

#165108 - 07/06/07 01:14 PM Re: A Teenager's Journey by Richard B. Pelzer [Re: EGL]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Roadrunner,

isnt that how it usualy is... on the outside every thing looks fantastic... its behind the closed doors that everything turns to hell.

#165210 - 07/07/07 06:33 AM Re: A Teenager's Journey by Richard B. Pelzer [Re: theatrekid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Theatrekid,

You're absolutely right. I'm not sure why I was so stunned at my friend's statement that they knew nothing about what was happening to Dave Pelzer. Perhaps I was basing my thinking on my reading of A Child Called It, where Dave describes things like being taken to the hospital all beat up, bruised and cut, and then getting sent home by doctors who must have known what was happening at home. Dave was also sent to school badly clothed, and starving to such an extent that he tried to steal food in school. All those things were noticed by his teachers.

But that said, yes, where sexual abuse is concerned it's almost always done in secret and the boy, ashamed and afraid, hides what's going on so well that even those closest to him have no clue what's happening. In my own case, when I finally disclosed to my parents two years ago they were absolutely shocked. Once they thought about it, okay, a lot of things began to make sense. But back then they had no idea.

Thanks for pointing this out. It's a very important observation.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.