Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
1 registered (BraveFalcon), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64196 Topics
447992 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#164691 - 07/04/07 01:40 AM dissociation
Kid A Offline

(I reposted this here from another topic)
I often dissociate and am torn and confused about what I can do when this happens. Yesterday I was in a group setting when I really became spacey and totally detached from the conversation as if I was watching a movie. This got me to become very sad which in turn made me feel much younger and feeling younger made me sad because it reminded me of why I first had to use dissociation: to pretend that the abuse wasn't real. So I am confused about dissociation because when it happens I want to hang out in it and see what its all about. It puts me closer to the child that was abused and further from the mask and shell I created for the world to see in order to hide. I want to explore my dissociated states because it puts me closer to the piece of me that was vulnerable yet safe before the abuse.

#164758 - 07/04/07 04:01 PM Re: dissociation [Re: Kid A]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Kid,

I can't really offer any advice to you, because I've never experienced this kind of thing on a regular basis. If you have a counselor, it might be best to ask them. Perhaps someone else here has some experience they could share.

I'm sorry I don't have more to offer.

#164785 - 07/04/07 07:52 PM Re: dissociation [Re: Dewey2k]
healing_inside Offline
MaleSurvivor

hi Kid A,

This link below to the Sidran.org web site i got from the MS web site so it is a good web site. The link points a info on dissociation and DID.

Please don't use this info to diagnos yourself, but just for info only. Maybe this info could be a starting place to talk it over with your T.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sidran.org/sub.cfm?contentID=33§ionid=4

*** WoR Retreat Alumni - Alta 2005 ***

#164789 - 07/04/07 08:08 PM Re: dissociation [Re: healing_inside]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
My T and MD call my DID rather "severe." (I hate hearing that word "severe.")

Anyway, their big concern with any Dis-state is my being in danger. Danger from other people, cars, traffic, things, etc. When I dis-out, I'm as vulnerable as can be.

If your Dis-state is the same, you may want to conder the dangers.

#164813 - 07/04/07 10:17 PM Re: dissociation [Re: Kid A]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
I'll have you know "dissociating" can be very frightening and can spook you enough to the point of losing touch with reality.I can tell you that when you reach this heightening of the physche and go to a place where you're not used to it has the potential to bring your sense of self to levels you may not be ready for.Although we have no control of when and if we detach only that we can somehow find a place where we "feel safe".I encourage you to try do all you can to be gentle with yourself and take time to process this otherwise you could be going down a road where you might not want any part of.I'm a survivor and only in the last 5 years has been rough and emotionally i was so distressed i,too "dissociated" and literally saw myself sitting in a chair with my head down and floating over myself as i was looking down.I have been fortunate to only experience this 3x and quite frankly i'm all set if i never go through this again in this lifetime.Finally i wish you comfort and tenderness this site and the beautiful people have to offer.Utilize this to any length you can imagine afterall you can never have to much support.God bless you and always remember we're here for you to listen and encourage and most of all simply "BE" and nothing will ever change that fact.

Coopstah

#164838 - 07/05/07 02:35 AM Re: dissociation [Re: thecoopstah]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Kid A,

I can see why you would want to explore your feelings when you diss out, but remember that this state of being involves creating a fantasy situation. It's an escape from reality, and while it will connect you with the tools you were able to find as a kid to keep yourself safe, it won't connect you with the Little You himself. Dissociating is all about escaping from issues, not facing them. That's something we had to do when we were boys, but now I think it's better to face things the way they really are. That's the only way to lay down a solid foundation for our recovery.

Just some thoughts.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#165000 - 07/05/07 10:42 PM Re: dissociation [Re: roadrunner]
Kid A Offline

The subject of dissociation, even on this site, seems taboo, and I can understand why. When I began realizing with my therapist that I highly dissociate I freaked out that I was CRAZY, the kind of feeling that would keep anyone up at night. I was able to fall asleep by realizing that even if I had Dissociative Identity Disorder, I wasn't crazy. That said, I don't have DID but dissociation is all on a spectrum. My confusion comes because my dissociation allows me to sometimes tap into a vulnerability and innocence that got shelled over with the abuse. I guess my question more specifically is; isn't that vulnerability a good thing to get back in touch with. To me its the feeling of having a soft body and a soul that is not completely hardened, numb, and depressed to the world around it. I like when my soul feels this way, but the dissociation itself can be disorienting and isolating. I guess I am trying to take what I can from when I dissociate and bring it back to my more ordinary state of consiousness. To connect and negoitate the reality of a childs innocence with the wisdom of a survivor's knowledge of this hostile world.

#165008 - 07/05/07 10:54 PM Re: dissociation [Re: Kid A]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Kid A,

Dissociation isn't discussed as much as other topics here, but I don't think it's taboo in any way. You should feel free to talk about it. I - along with many others - have done the same in the past when we needed to do so.

You ask:

Originally Posted By: Kid A
I guess my question more specifically is; isn't that vulnerability a good thing to get back in touch with.

I certainly think so. When I was a young boy I used this as a means to protect myself from what the abuser was doing: I would "go" to something on the wall and then make my way to a corner of the ceiling and curl up there - I wasn't the boy all those things were happening to "down there" in the room. Acknowledging this helped me to see how defenseless and frightened I was, regardless of how I responded physically to the abuse. As you say, when we ponder these things we learn more about how innocent and clueless we really were.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#165068 - 07/06/07 07:54 AM Re: dissociation [Re: roadrunner]
ecb Offline
MaleSurvivor

I recently was discussing disassociation with my T. I had a couple of panic attacks at work, and I would disassociate until I could get my shit together.

I was worried that it was a bad thing, but he said that I was using it as a tool to get past my anxiety when I am not physically in a place to deal with it.

I guess it's a coping mechanism like anything else and the problem is when its an inappropriate reaction or one that is no longer serving its purpose or creating problems.

It was an interesting take on it for me anyway because I had always seen my tendency to disassociate as a weakness...

#165078 - 07/06/07 09:31 AM Re: dissociation [Re: ecb]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
I've always been grateful for dissociation -- it feels like a special protection--like some captain in your mind's control room shouts "Shields Up!", and you don't get blasted.

I haven't really thought about what it's like before but this is what it feels like to me...

Something that feels threatening happens -- a real tragedy happens, someone's angry at me, or something about work, or something sexual -- I get tense and flustered.

Then, the switch flips and I suddenly feel very calm. The emotions are there, but they no longer have anything to do with what I say or do. I see my face--I get very aware of every muscle, like I can watch my own expression, and manage it by remote control. I'm talking, but I feel like I'm writing a>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.