Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64203 Topics
448040 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#164377 - 07/01/07 09:48 PM Points to ponder...
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

You know, those seemingly unanswerable questions - unanswerable in the sense that the only possible answer is going to be irrational. No, not about abuse; nor about those faux-philisophical questions that people ask to make themselves sound "deep" (i.e. - "if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" Of COURSE it makes a sound, you dolt!). I mean, about the rest of life.

For instance; one day, I drove up to the ATM at the local bank down here. While waiting for it to do its thing, I just happened to notice that all the buttons on the ATM are embossed with Braille - raised bumps arranged in certain ways, which blind people can "read" by feeling with their fingertips. You find Braille on other things too, like wall signs and elevator buttons.

Then it occurred to me - why was there Braille on this ATM? In case a blind person drives up and needs to use it?

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#164381 - 07/01/07 10:10 PM Re: Points to ponder... [Re: melliferal]
froggy12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Marlboro, MA 01752
Around here ATMs have braille in Portuguese. Maybe they ride up on the family mule - no need to drive. Who knows? Probably multi locational use. In and outside.

froggy

#164383 - 07/01/07 10:16 PM Re: Points to ponder... [Re: froggy12]
GWsurvives Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Atlanta, and here, among othe...
Life is full of wonders..... Like the warning on the bag of silica often placed in the box with electronic equipment. "do not eat".. damn.. I thought I had gotten a cracker jack prize with my cell phone.

I'll bet a hundred dollars, some lawyer sued to get the braille signs on the ATMs.

#164402 - 07/01/07 11:21 PM Re: Points to ponder... [Re: GWsurvives]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Melliferal,

In the UK we need to buy a license in order to operate a television set; that helps to fund the BBC. What's cool about the application is that it offers a significant discount if the user of the TV is blind.

Another of my favorites is the bag of peanuts bearing this customer advisory note: "WARNING: Contains nuts".

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.