Newest Members
Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss, JW1230
12363 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
40035 (55), Brayton (60), DavidJ (65), Grout (29), JJM33 (43), RockyMtJoe (66)
Who's Online
6 registered (don64, 5 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12363 Members
74 Forums
63535 Topics
443893 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#164342 - 07/01/07 04:58 PM Kite Runner - wonderful book but be careful
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
For anyone who has not read Kite Runner, be careful. I am reading it now and it is beautifully written... but there is at least one scene (so far - I have not finished yet) that deals with sexual abuse that may be triggering. I was reading it on vacation and was blind-sided. I recovered fairly quickly, but I can see that it could be very bothersome to some readers. Just a heads up.

Marge Simpson

#164367 - 07/01/07 08:46 PM Re: Kite Runner - wonderful book but be careful [Re: dannym]
trusty Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Indiana, USA
Dan,
I read this book last summer. It is a tough one. However, it is so poignant and brought me so in touch with a culture (Afghanistan) that I really knew very little about. I'm amazed that this book is the first novel for Hosseini. It's an incredibly strong work.

Thanks for the notice on possible triggering, however.

Sincerely,
REJ

#164373 - 07/01/07 09:33 PM Re: Kite Runner - wonderful book but be careful [Re: trusty]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Hey Trusty.. I know - I was floored that it was his first novel. The writing is so beautiful - I think that was what made the scene so disturbing - he captured the act as well as the complex emotions so well. Very talented author!

Thanks,

Dan

Marge Simpson

#164374 - 07/01/07 09:33 PM Re: Kite Runner - wonderful book but be careful [Re: trusty]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have that one on Audio from iTunes. It is an excellent book tho triggering

#164403 - 07/01/07 11:23 PM Re: Kite Runner - wonderful book but be careful [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
I listened to the audio version, which was sent to me by a friend. What a wonderful book, though yes, that one sexual scene might trigger some guys badly. There are also violent scenes that may bother some guys.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#166199 - 07/12/07 04:40 AM Re: Kite Runner - wonderful book but be careful [Re: roadrunner]
easterneurope Offline

Loc: eastern europe
I read it also ....felt so much pain for that little boy and knew just how heavy that mantle of shame was going to be for him. I guess his friend, who didn't get raped, carried also, huh??

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.