Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
2 registered (Vedder32, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63420 Topics
443378 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#164926 - 07/05/07 02:51 PM Re: Thing thats tough for me... [Re: lorraine]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Brian,

I'm sorry. I did misunderstand what you were saying.

Quote:
What is the alternative to have an after life...total death?

That would be a logical assumption the way I see it.

Quote:
What is the alternative to beleive that God controls our life?? We are the masters of our life?

Also a logical assumption. I've tried that one tho... doesn't work for me. I always fuck it up good! lol

John

#164949 - 07/05/07 05:34 PM Re: Thing thats tough for me... [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Me? Master of my own life and destiny? Now there's a scary prospect for the world! lol

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#164962 - 07/05/07 07:16 PM Re: Thing thats tough for me... [Re: roadrunner]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Originally Posted By: roadrunner
Me? Master of my own life and destiny? Now there's a scary prospect for the world! lol

Much love,
Larry

Indeed it is! \:\) You know I love you, though, bro!

#165052 - 07/06/07 02:52 AM Re: Thing thats tough for me... [Re: shadowkid]
pietie Offline

Loc: South Africa
Originally Posted By: shadowkid
also one person tells me god cant interfere ,but the next one tells me i see god doing things in my life ,direct opposite views of the same faith. people tell me god cant help ,but god will help ? its less confusing to me to say ok maybe god created us ,doubtfull but maybe .

why would god not help us yet still give us endless chances ?

I see God doing things in my life. But He does not interfere. That is the point where prayer comes into effect. Certain things I pray for and God gives it to me. He does things in my life because I asked Him to. Because I gave Him that right in my life. Not my will but His. So I dont agree that it is opposite views of faith at all. God can help any of us and He does help.

God gives us endless chances because He loves us. I always compare my relationship and love for God and by God to my relationship with my children. God gives us endles chances because of His love for us. I will not less my child any less when he doesn't do what i tell him to because I know it will be good for him. Even after the upteenth time I will still love Him.

I rather live a life like there is a God than die and then find out He was there. To me my relationship with Him is not about the reward and about going to heaven its about the satisfaction I get from our relationship. To know He is there and that He loves me despite of my unbelieve and mistakes.

#165115 - 07/06/07 01:34 PM Re: Thing thats tough for me... [Re: shadowkid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Shadow,

Originally Posted By: shadowkid
also one person tells me god cant interfere ,but the next one tells me i see god doing things in my life ,direct opposite views of the same faith. people tell me god cant help ,but god will help ? its less confusing to me to say ok maybe god created us ,doubtfull but maybe . but after that god is done with us ,freewill remember? why would god not help us yet still give us endless chances ?

I certainly don't hold myself up as an example of a man of faith, but here's my answer all the same. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that God is as we are told he is: all-powerful and all-knowing. In that case he would know everything that will ever happen to us and would have the power to intervene anywhere and any time to rescue us from harm, danger, adversity, whatever. You with me so far?

But if he did use his limitless power and knowledge to our benefit, then that means we would have no freedom at all and our lives would be meaningless. No one would ever really achieve anything, since God is hanging around 24/7 to zap him out of any difficulty. There would be no need to think about anything for ourselves, because no matter what dumb-ass thing we did, again, God would be there to step in and save us from the consequences. There would be no meaningful difference between good and evil, since both would lead to a perfect wonderful outcome.

Even the laws of nature would be hijacked. No tree would be allowed to fall if someone was underneath that tree, or climbing it. Rains would have to stop before they reach a flood stage, and no mechanical device would be allowed to fail if it endangered someone's perfect and wonderful life.

Would we appreciate such a life if all we had to do was lay back and watch it unfold, as opposed to work and plan for it? What would be the point of happiness, and indeed, could there be any such thing as happiness?

I could go on, but if we step out of our present condition and look at things objectively, I think it's possible to see that a life lived under divine guarantee of perpetual safety wouldn't be worth living at all.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#165355 - 07/08/07 06:20 AM Re: Thing thats tough for me... [Re: pain4ever]
Waterman Offline
New Here

Loc: Canada
Perhaps you have to change your ideas as to what "God" is, what does this funny little word signify.
Often we get stuck on a very narrow meaning of this mysterious concept and if it doesn't anymore match our expectations and assumptions, we want to get rid of the whole idea, throw out the baby with the bath water so to speak.
If you think of God as a sort of all-powerful person, much like a very powerful human who could interfere with our human affairs down here, then you will be disappointed; however, if you begin to think of God as a not easy to understand, yet incredibly creative source of all being, then you might begin to see that he/she/it is also the source of our being, and that we are a society of humans who have all the "god-given" resources to make it work for ourselves even in the face of seemingly overwhelming obstacles. You do need a bit of faith here, but I can assure you that it might be worthwhile. People do try to make it work and some tragically don't get it right or fail outright. Along the way they often victimize and hurt others; however, there also are many, many good people who are willing to help and understand your hurt, your best evidence for this of course is this website and this wonderful organization right here. So you see, "God" might just have known that we humans actually can help ourselves and each other to overcome and heal even the gravest of wounds that we might inflict on each other. Perhaps this helps you to see why God does not and did not interfere in human affairs. We can help each other.

Edited by Waterman (07/08/07 06:22 AM)

#166765 - 07/15/07 09:41 AM Re: Thing thats tough for me... [Re: Waterman]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Interesting thread. Here's my two cents, for what it's worth;

"God" = "Inexplicable Circumstance"

In other words, whatever set of circumstances caused the creation of the universe and everthing in it that we cannot yet explain, can be expressed in the simple term, "God". As soon as we discover the actual, scientific mechanisms of creation, the term "God" will be useless, just as the ancient gods faded away as humans learned the "secret" of their particular superpowers (i.e. Vulcan made volcanoes, Thor made lightning and thunder, etc.)

The only reason Jehovah has persisted as long as he has is that he is credited with everything, so we'll have to learn everything before we can prove his non-existance. That will take time...

I don't get comfort from an omnipotent being watching over me, and I don't get frustrated why he didn't save me. That's just the way it is.

Lazarus

#166777 - 07/15/07 10:56 AM Re: Thing thats tough for me... [Re: Lazarus]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

i'm sorry if i offended anyone with my comments in this thread ,but when we talk about god i have only one frame of reference to go by and that is the thoughts and beliefs of an 11year old. it could be that i'm, more mad at myself for ever believing than i am at god. i do not think its my fault or a shot at people who do believe that i was so disappointed when god didnt help me .as a kid i didnt believe in my parents i didnt believe that people wouldnt hurt me ,i didnt believe i didnt desreve it ,but i did believe in god and i didnt have any of these questions ,i had faith ,i can have faith if i reach my hand out to a dog that it wont bite me right? but if it does bite me ,i'm damn sure not gonna reach out to that same dog again for a really long time.

#166794 - 07/15/07 11:50 AM Re: Thing thats tough for me... [Re: shadowkid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Shadow,

I don't think you have a thing in the world to be apologizing for. Someone started a discussion and you are expressing what it means to you. That is your absolute right here and I'm glad you are staying true to yourself. How can your time here possibly help you if you cannot be yourself and say what you think and feel? The reality of what you think is the most important thing you have to work on in your recovery, and I hope you continue to do that with the honesty and candor you have always displayed here.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#166798 - 07/15/07 11:56 AM Re: Thing thats tough for me... [Re: roadrunner]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

thanks larry

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.