Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
4 registered (GT13568, 3 invisible), 13 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447924 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#163337 - 06/25/07 04:52 PM A new study about the power of naming emotions
knot4sail16 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeastern U.S.
I just read this article, and it deals with the whole issue of naming emotions. (I talked more about this in another thread http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...rue#Post162316)

Anyway, it focuses on how the brain is better able to deal with negative emotions through the act of labeling the emotion and being able to express what that emotion is.

I really think that one of the key ways that our society cripples all boys is by failing to provide them with adequate language and understanding of a broad range of emotions.

The article mentions that the act of labeling emotions happens more spontaneously for women, but that there is a bigger impact of calming in the brain for men when they learn to do this. I think that says a lot about the discrepancies in how we equip the genders in being allowed to express negative emotions.

Here's the article link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070621/hl_nm/brain_feelings_dc

What do you think?

Peace,
Daniel

#163822 - 06/28/07 08:25 AM Re: A new study about the power of naming emotions [Re: knot4sail16]
Kathryn Offline

I think you're absolutely right!!!!

According to a lot of mother/child observers, mothers are more likely to explore possible reasons another child is crying or laughing, etc... with a female child than with a male child. Her response with a male child is often "He must be sad", whereas with a female child she's far more likely to propose possible reasons the crying child might be sad as well as asking her female child what makes her sad, etc....

Mothers are also more likely to be generally more talkative with their female children, even as infants.

Fathers, having already been brought up under a regime which denies their right to emotions, talk little about emotions with either male or female children.

It seems to me that it's just so ingrained in our society to assume that males simply are both less interested in and experience fewer emotions. Whether we realize it or not -- due to the media misinterpreting things -- most men who are vocally in support of feminist thought are largely supportive because of this sort of thing. Feminists not only want "equal rights" for women, but for men as well, especially the right to have an emotionally satisfying life, which includes the right to not be emotionally abused into emotional lack by other males.

Take care,
Katie

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.