Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
8 registered (CafeMan, Cam76, GuyusesMac, I Want 2 Thrive, 4 invisible), 71 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62509 Topics
438075 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#162959 - 06/22/07 09:32 PM Kids reaching puberty faster these days
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
There have been a couple of articles in the past few years that say that kids are reaching puberty at earlier ages. That just troubles me, why I don't know.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#162967 - 06/22/07 10:18 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: onlyakid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jason,

Perhaps this bothers you because earlier puberty raises the issue of kids becoming physically sexualized at an earlier age. Whether they are emotionally or socially ready for that step is another matter entirely, of course, and I bet that concerns a lot of people, parents as well as professionals like teachers, doctors and youth workers. If my kids were at this age this would be on my mind all the time!

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#162969 - 06/22/07 10:21 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: roadrunner]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
I think the later, the better. Let them be kids in all ways as long as possible...too bad we have no say in it.

Still's Globs

New Video

#162970 - 06/22/07 10:29 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: Still]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
The worst part about it, is that my mother who is a Guidance supervisor at a highschool says that kids are actually less mature these days.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#163112 - 06/24/07 10:58 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: onlyakid]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

the sooner they hit puberty the safer they are ,that seems to be where the sick pigs draw the line ,just pray they make it without getting perped. one day your a target ,the next your too old to appeal to them anymore.

#163119 - 06/24/07 12:32 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: shadowkid]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
That's just sick and sad Adam...but I guess its true.

I'd rather have my kids SO well trained to fight-off attacks, grooming etc and SO willing to TELL that perps will fear them.

Still's Globs

New Video

#163149 - 06/24/07 06:07 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: Still]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Here's an interesting news story on this topic:

Research: U.S. Boys Also Reaching Puberty Earlier Than In Past Years

Science Daily CHAPEL HILL - U.S. boys appear to reach puberty earlier than in past decades, a new study suggests, but why that happens is not clear and neither are the health consequences. Researchers say possible effects on health are more likely to be negative than positive, however.

"We analyzed data from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, which were collected in two phases between 1988 and 1994 on 2,114 boys aged 8 to 19 in this country," said Dr. Marcia Herman-Giddens, a researcher affiliated with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. "We found that all three groups -- white, African-American and Mexican-American boys -- were significantly taller and heavier for their age than boys in previous studies, which is consistent with earlier puberty."

A report on the findings appears in the Sept. 14 issue of Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, an American Medical Association journal. Other authors are Dr. Gary G. Koch, professor of biostatistics at the UNC School of Public Health, and biostatistics graduate student Lily Wang.

Herman-Giddens is adjunct professor of maternal and child health, also at the School of Public Health, and a senior fellow at the N.C. Child Advocacy Institute. She first made national news four years ago as author of a study indicating that U.S. girls of both white and black race appeared to enter puberty earlier than they did in years past. For unknown reasons, black girls on average start maturing about a year before whites do, that study showed.

The new research focused on information on the first signs of puberty in boys -- appearance of pubic hair and growth of the testes gathered through the federal survey, she said. The survey collects a wide variety of health and nutrition-related information to uncover positive and negative trends.

"For pubic hair, we found the average age of onset was 12.0 years for white boys, 11.2 years for African-American boys and 12.3 years for Mexican-American boys," Herman-Giddens said. "For the beginning of genital growth, the average ages were 10.1, 9.5 and 10.4 years, respectively."

Examining clinicians found that between their ninth and 10th birthdays, 4.3 percent of white boys, 21 percent of black boys and 3.3 percent of Mexican-American boys showed pubic hair development, she said. Like genital growth, pubic hair development results from the natural, genetically programmed boost in production of male hormones, but environmental factors may play a role.

The analysis suggests U.S. boys overall may be beginning puberty up to a half year earlier than previous research indicated, Herman-Giddens said. The estimate is based on the onset of pubic hair growth, assessment of which is less subjective than that of testicular growth. The difference could be greater if the genital findings are accurate.

Further studies are needed to confirm or refute the new findings on boys, the scientist said.

"Is this real, and is it healthy or not?" she said. "It's probably not healthy since earlier studies have shown that the sooner a boy starts puberty, the higher his risk is of developing testicular cancer, just as early-maturing girls are at greater risk of developing breast cancer. Then there are implications for sex education and preparing children for the psychosocial challenges of puberty, as well as the consequences of earlier sexual activity."

Changes in when children as a group begin the physical maturation of puberty are important to understand since they could reflect, in part, harmful environmental conditions such as exposure to chemical contaminants, the scientist said. Dietary and other lifestyle changes in society also could play a role. Unfortunately, staffers with the national survey project have stopped collecting data on pubertal development.

Physicians and others may dispute the genital findings since such measurements are imprecise, Herman-Giddens said, but she believes few will dispute the findings on pubic hair growth. Differences between the races remained even after researchers controlled for height and weight.

NHANES data are considered good because subjects are selected to be representative of the entire U.S. populations and because information is gathered in a standard way across the country.

"Personally, I believe changes in when puberty starts in boys and girls is an important public health issue in this country," Herman-Giddens. "It's good that these findings get attention because they stimulate research into the health implications, which we really do need to know about."

Genentech Inc. supported the new study.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/09/010914074455.htm

#163616 - 06/27/07 06:37 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: EGL]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
I hit puberty very early, and felt like a freak. Because of the abuse and my family relationships, etc., I had real problems with men. And suddenly I was ten and turning into one of them! It wasn't a gender thing--I didn't want to be a woman...I just wanted to stay a kid like everyone else.

#163631 - 06/27/07 09:45 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: MemoryVault]
anyway90 Offline

It worries me too.I knew I was sexualized at a young age.
I have memories....and they prove to be very disturbing.
I can't tell the difference between child and adolescent.

#163642 - 06/27/07 10:59 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: anyway90]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Anyway,

Originally Posted By: anyway90
It worries me too.I knew I was sexualized at a young age.
I have memories....and they prove to be very disturbing.
I can't tell the difference between child and adolescent.

Sounds like something you need to talk about. Can you do that?

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#163654 - 06/27/07 11:39 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: roadrunner]
anyway90 Offline

I dont really know.
I am scared to talk here.
I have difficulty identifying with many people here who experience the horrible flashbacks and memories.

I have read books about repressed memories and I have no idea what they are talking about.I want so much to identify what they are talking about and make sense of it all.

I feel really bad.

Most of the things I remember,I remember them because they were all about me.All my experiences.

i watched the film Mysterious skin....and it was a really good film.Heartbreaking.
I liked the film because it was very honest.In it,the victim,Neil,actually did something sexually inappropriate at the age of ten to his peer and his best friend witnessed the disturbing event.

I feel like Neil too.

I remembered I was eight...not too sure.Is there a way to tell?

My mentally ill abuser(i am 80 percent sure...I dont know)was sleeping.And then...I went over and I just explored his private area.I remembered that I think he would be aroused or something but he just slept.

My life was changed forever.

I could remember the thoughts....Why didnt he have any response?what did i do?I felt so scared and guilty.

But being a child..I just pushed it aside.

And God being cruel...wanted me to remember.I had flashbacks at the age of 14 and I felt so goddamn guilty.

I have been to therapists and they all say for fucks sake...let it go....you didnt know better.

3 years have gone by and i feel like a zombie.With no memories and feelings.Only guilt.

What troubles me is the age...when I touched my abuser?was it 8?i think so.what if it was 10,or 11 or worse even 12?that would make me so disgusting....like a molestor...

How am i supposed to move on?I dont know.

thank you for reading about my ramblings.

I dont know if i have violated the rules by saying all these stuff but i hope i havent.

#164000 - 06/29/07 09:43 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: anyway90]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

*****possible triggers*****

Anyway,

Could I suggest something to you? Repost this as the start for a new thread and let guys here talk to you about it. I think you are getting into territory that's really important to you, and it should be in its own thread.

For the time being I'll just comment on this:

Originally Posted By: anyway90
In it,the victim, Neil, actually did something sexually inappropriate at the age of ten to his peer and his best friend witnessed the disturbing event.

I feel like Neil too.

In that scene in Mysterious Skin where 10-year-old Neil molests the older boy who's retarded, remember what Neil says: "I know a way we can get him on our side. A grownup did this to me and it's really cool."

What does that mean? What's going on here is that Neil respects and loves Coach and doesn't understand that what happened to him was abuse. In fact, he doesn't really "get it" until he is ferociously beaten and raped at the age of 18. When he acts out with that retarded boy he thinks that what he's doing is okay; so far as he can see he's just showing someone else a good time, like Coach did to him.

The point here is that Neil is just a kid who doesn't and can't understand what happened to him. The same applies to you. You are not to blame. It was not your fault.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#164004 - 06/29/07 10:12 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: roadrunner]
pain4ever Offline

Guys..
My abuse started very early...very...5 or 6 years old.

As a kid...I thought what was happenning was okay and as a result of that I tended to, at an early age, "explore" with those of my same age.

I can remember being in the woods with a friend...he told me "I wanna show you something my cousin showed me...its really cool and feels good." He raped me..but it was like me messing around with guys my same age, He really didnt think there was anything wrong with it.

Thats the way I was with other boys my own age. I thought, back then, that it was normal to have sexual contact with other guys my age and I continued to. I remember saying to them that it feels really good, but I never penetrated anyone!! Simply playing with there private parts or oral play. I look back and realise I thought this was all normal and nothing wrong with it.

However when I got older and realised that there was something wrong with it...well it kind of destroyed me in a way. I felt like my perps. I started to retract from everything...majorly depressed and guilty. I carried that guilt for a long time...a very long time.

However it wasnt till a few years ago that I realised that it was not my fault. It was my perps fault for making me beleive that was "normal". I have let it go I guess. I know when I did things with other boys that thought it was normal and there was nothing malicious about what I did. However I still live with the guilt of being another perp. These boys were not my perps, so in effect, I was screwing up other boys.

It comes down to the fact that I thought the way you showed affection or friendship with a guy was through sex. This was the only way I received it as a kid. Was it affection?...hell no..but that was the only attention I got from guys. Because of that fact (when I was younger)...everytime I got a close to a friend (boy)...if they didnt initiate a sexual experience, I did. To me it was how you show affection for another male. Totally fucked up. I stopped all that behavior a long time ago...when I was like 12. The guilt of what happenned (me being a perp to them) still is an issue today.

Brian

#164010 - 06/29/07 11:01 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: pain4ever]
anyway90 Offline

I dunno...i think forgiveness is a very important issue.
Trust me,you cannot hold on to something that happened years ago and try to analyze whether you were wrong or not.
Its very,very painful.and it makes no sense.
Some people are worth forgiving,some people are not.
It depends...because if you choose not to forgive someone,you are saying that the mistake has cost him his life.because guilt is equivalent to that.

My perp was like 50 years old....and well I was lucky i didnt do anything to other kids because I had little contact with them.And the incident has traumatized me greatly so I guess I had only sexually acted out once.Or maybe I blocked everything out.

So now i am analyzing whether i molested my abuser....and at what age i did it so that its not considered molest....its all very painful.

Whats worse is that i am not absolutely sure i was abused...but i am 80 percent certain.

i know not all abused kids sexually act out...or maybe very few....but i learnt that it some of them actually do that..Sometimes I wonder at what age group is it alright to do that?And like.....at the age of 10 its already called molestation if you touch someone inappropriately?Doesnt that make kids who sexually act out molestors?Why do we have such a great burden?

I guess I dont understand the meaning of the word children.

I dont know...I feel no malice in anything I did too...and I am not sure why I am feeling so guilty.

I am sorry for writing that first post...because I think we are heading further and further away from the issue of abuse.I am making myself and other people seem like perps.

I am sorry for what i have done and I really need another chance.i didnt know it would be this painful.

Edited by anyway90 (06/29/07 11:28 AM)

#164019 - 06/29/07 12:00 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: anyway90]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Anyway,

You absolutely don't need another chance, just as Brian doesn't. Both of you were doing what you knew. You were just little boys who didn't know that there was anything wrong with what had been done to you in the first place.

No, kids who act out sexually are not molesters. They are mixed up frightened kids who needs lots of love, lots of safe attention, and lots of help to see that there's a better healthier way.

It's painful to see you writing that you don't understand the meaning of the word "children". That reminds me of a psychological assessment I had two years ago. The T asked me, "And Larry, how would you describe your childhood?" The question stunned me at first. Then I broke down in tears and said, "I didn't have one."

You aren't alone, bro. And the most important thing you share with the rest of us is your innocence.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.