Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, finallyhere), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443347 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#162959 - 06/22/07 09:32 PM Kids reaching puberty faster these days
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
There have been a couple of articles in the past few years that say that kids are reaching puberty at earlier ages. That just troubles me, why I don't know.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#162967 - 06/22/07 10:18 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: onlyakid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jason,

Perhaps this bothers you because earlier puberty raises the issue of kids becoming physically sexualized at an earlier age. Whether they are emotionally or socially ready for that step is another matter entirely, of course, and I bet that concerns a lot of people, parents as well as professionals like teachers, doctors and youth workers. If my kids were at this age this would be on my mind all the time!

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#162969 - 06/22/07 10:21 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: roadrunner]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
I think the later, the better. Let them be kids in all ways as long as possible...too bad we have no say in it.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#162970 - 06/22/07 10:29 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: Still]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
The worst part about it, is that my mother who is a Guidance supervisor at a highschool says that kids are actually less mature these days.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#163112 - 06/24/07 10:58 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: onlyakid]
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

the sooner they hit puberty the safer they are ,that seems to be where the sick pigs draw the line ,just pray they make it without getting perped. one day your a target ,the next your too old to appeal to them anymore.

#163119 - 06/24/07 12:32 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: shadowkid]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
That's just sick and sad Adam...but I guess its true.

I'd rather have my kids SO well trained to fight-off attacks, grooming etc and SO willing to TELL that perps will fear them.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#163149 - 06/24/07 06:07 PM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: Still]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Here's an interesting news story on this topic:

Research: U.S. Boys Also Reaching Puberty Earlier Than In Past Years

Science Daily CHAPEL HILL - U.S. boys appear to reach puberty earlier than in past decades, a new study suggests, but why that happens is not clear and neither are the health consequences. Researchers say possible effects on health are more likely to be negative than positive, however.

"We analyzed data from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, which were collected in two phases between 1988 and 1994 on 2,114 boys aged 8 to 19 in this country," said Dr. Marcia Herman-Giddens, a researcher affiliated with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. "We found that all three groups -- white, African-American and Mexican-American boys -- were significantly taller and heavier for their age than boys in previous studies, which is consistent with earlier puberty."

A report on the findings appears in the Sept. 14 issue of Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, an American Medical Association journal. Other authors are Dr. Gary G. Koch, professor of biostatistics at the UNC School of Public Health, and biostatistics graduate student Lily Wang.

Herman-Giddens is adjunct professor of maternal and child health, also at the School of Public Health, and a senior fellow at the N.C. Child Advocacy Institute. She first made national news four years ago as author of a study indicating that U.S. girls of both white and black race appeared to enter puberty earlier than they did in years past. For unknown reasons, black girls on average start maturing about a year before whites do, that study showed.

The new research focused on information on the first signs of puberty in boys -- appearance of pubic hair and growth of the testes gathered through the federal survey, she said. The survey collects a wide variety of health and nutrition-related information to uncover positive and negative trends.

"For pubic hair, we found the average age of onset was 12.0 years for white boys, 11.2 years for African-American boys and 12.3 years for Mexican-American boys," Herman-Giddens said. "For the beginning of genital growth, the average ages were 10.1, 9.5 and 10.4 years, respectively."

Examining clinicians found that between their ninth and 10th birthdays, 4.3 percent of white boys, 21 percent of black boys and 3.3 percent of Mexican-American boys showed pubic hair development, she said. Like genital growth, pubic hair development results from the natural, genetically programmed boost in production of male hormones, but environmental factors may play a role.

The analysis suggests U.S. boys overall may be beginning puberty up to a half year earlier than previous research indicated, Herman-Giddens said. The estimate is based on the onset of pubic hair growth, assessment of which is less subjective than that of testicular growth. The difference could be greater if the genital findings are accurate.

Further studies are needed to confirm or refute the new findings on boys, the scientist said.

"Is this real, and is it healthy or not?" she said. "It's probably not healthy since earlier studies have shown that the sooner a boy starts puberty, the higher his risk is of developing testicular cancer, just as early-maturing girls are at greater risk of developing breast cancer. Then there are implications for sex education and preparing children for the psychosocial challenges of puberty, as well as the consequences of earlier sexual activity."

Changes in when children as a group begin the physical maturation of puberty are important to understand since they could reflect, in part, harmful environmental conditions such as exposure to chemical contaminants, the scientist said. Dietary and other lifestyle changes in society also could play a role. Unfortunately, staffers with the national survey project have stopped collecting data on pubertal development.

Physicians and others may dispute the genital findings since such measurements are imprecise, Herman-Giddens said, but she believes few will dispute the findings on pubic hair growth. Differences between the races remained even after researchers controlled for height and weight.

NHANES data are considered good because subjects are selected to be representative of the entire U.S. populations and because information is gathered in a standard way across the country.

"Personally, I believe changes in when puberty starts in boys and girls is an important public health issue in this country," Herman-Giddens. "It's good that these findings get attention because they stimulate research into the health implications, which we really do need to know about."

Genentech Inc. supported the new study.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/09/010914074455.htm

#163616 - 06/27/07 06:37 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: EGL]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
I hit puberty very early, and felt like a freak. Because of the abuse and my family relationships, etc., I had real problems with men. And suddenly I was ten and turning into one of them! It wasn't a gender thing--I didn't want to be a woman...I just wanted to stay a kid like everyone else.

#163631 - 06/27/07 09:45 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: MemoryVault]
anyway90 Offline

It worries me too.I knew I was sexualized at a young age.
I have memories....and they prove to be very disturbing.
I can't tell the difference between child and adolescent.

#163642 - 06/27/07 10:59 AM Re: Kids reaching puberty faster these days [Re: anyway90]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Anyway,

Originally Posted By: anyway90
It worries me too.I knew I was sexualized at a young age.
I have memories....and they prove to be very disturbing.
I can't tell the difference between child and adolescent.

Sounds like something you need to talk about. Can you do that?

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.