Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, Bardo), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63793 Topics
445487 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#211397 - 03/18/08 03:51 AM Re: EMDR [Re: ericc]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
I have tried EMDR two time so far and it was a positive experience. I do 2 hour session and have dealt with two different tramic experiences in my adult life. I reprocessed the 1968 event when I became a victim of police abuse for protesting at a George Wallace rally.

The other event was me getting fired from a great job in 1993. I was able to reprocess these events and draw a different conclusion. I haven't tried EMDR on the CSA events yet.

Tom

#211427 - 03/18/08 08:58 AM Re: EMDR [Re: vda]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
vda - from your post it sounds like EMDR was used very soon after an abuse experience:

Originally Posted By: vda
He did not experience these in the first six weeks following the incident of violent sexualized abuse--they only started after the EMDR session.

My experience of EMDR was with addressing "old" trauma that had resulted in PTSD symptoms. I've never heard of it used to address "fresh" trauma before. I'd suggest you talk with that therapist and others about whether it was appropriate at that stage or not.

Mike

#211471 - 03/18/08 12:38 PM Re: EMDR [Re: mike5]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
EMDR is used for fresh trauma. For example the New Orleans disaster. Teams of Ts went there to do EMDR on the people.

Post 9/11 New york was another early-application of EMDR.

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#211499 - 03/18/08 02:51 PM Re: EMDR [Re: Still]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada

I shall chime in to share that I have had the good fortune of EMDR as a regular part of my Therapy, it has been very helpful in dealing with my varied trauma experiences --which include some brutal CSA experiences--. I feel it has been a beneficial component of my recovery... IMHO; Therapy, 12-step, and the support of other male survivors are key.

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#211532 - 03/18/08 06:16 PM Re: EMDR [Re: wes-b]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
In my training for EMDR 15 years ago, we were told that it should be done no sooner than 6 weeks after the trauma. However, since that time, I've seen where EMDR professionals go fairly quickly to places where natural disasters have occured as well as some fresh war incidents. So, I'm not sure what the current thinking is.

You might contact the International EMDR Association (not sure what the acronym is or if that's the correct name for the organization) to see what the protocol is for new trauma.

Ken

#253229 - 10/06/08 03:21 PM Re: EMDR [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
sunwolf Offline

Loc: Indiana
My T has done EMDR..i had a lot of blocked memories and traumas...I felt it worked...at least in some occasions i do not hurt so much...It was weird istarted to think of a pleasnt feeling and suddenly i started to cry like a baby..i was reliving that particular experience and i cried and was shaking all over...but at the end i felt good...

#253231 - 10/06/08 03:38 PM Re: EMDR [Re: thecoopstah]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: thecoopstah
Hi again all, I am begining EMDR with my therapist next week who i have been seeing for about as year now.Anyway has anyone ever had this procedure and/or process done before.How is it asfar as releiving the stresses from your life or rather help you cope with them as a whole.Any thoughts on this or personal experiences would really mean alot.
Coopstah

EMDR was absolutely wonderful for me. It was the best thing for me for relief of symptoms from CSA. I have another T for talk therapy who says that EMDR is becoming almost a preferred treatment for it.

Some of the sessions were indeed very intense. They took me right back (in my memory) into the emotional heart of the abuse. I felt and reexperienced the abuse. That may sound horrible but as an adult I was able to bear it. EMDR reconnected my childhood abused self to my adult here-and-now self. I think that is where the healing comes. I think that in terms of my brain it was actually reconnecting certain pathways in my brain. This freed me from the strong symptoms I had. It took me several hours in some cases to come down from the sessions. But a few days later I was genuinely feeling better. All in all I had EMDR for about a year. It was definitely well worth it.

Allen

puffer

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.