Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (Tanis2105), 52 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438140 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#162199 - 06/18/07 04:23 PM EMDR
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
Hi again all, I am begining EMDR with my therapist next week who i have been seeing for about as year now.Anyway has anyone ever had this procedure and/or process done before.How is it asfar as releiving the stresses from your life or rather help you cope with them as a whole.Any thoughts on this or personal experiences would really mean alot.

Coopstah

#162202 - 06/18/07 04:41 PM Re: EMDR [Re: thecoopstah]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Coop,

According to my T and MD, I suffer from "severe" PTSD. With that, I have very bad flashbacks (with visual, physical, smell and audio images).

They started me on EMDR right away.

It did nothing for stress...it did give me some tangible control over the Flashbacks (but not always).

I will tell you though, that the FBs got more vivid once I had the EMDR.

Rob

Still's Globs

New Video

#162209 - 06/18/07 05:23 PM Re: EMDR [Re: Still]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I've been getting EMDR for the past couple of months. Like Rob - I can't say it's done anything for stress (yet?) - but I can say what little I can remember has been surfacing since I started. Nothing "vivid" - but any progress is progress.

Marc

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#162212 - 06/18/07 05:40 PM Re: EMDR [Re: MarkK]
honey girl Offline

Loc: Midwest US
Dear Coop,

This is second-hand information only, so take from it what you will. My BF has been doing EMDR with his T for about a year. Or more--I forget! For him, it seems to be very effective. He almost never gives me any detailed information about what happens, but he has said that the emotional overlay associated with the trauma memories is much reduced. My observations are that the activity itself is pretty intense, since he is quite drained afterwards and it takes him a few hours/a day to process the feedback fully. However, now that he is in the routine, he knows what to expect, and he does believe that it has been really helpful. It's a useful strategy for him to use also when he has some new emotionally difficult experience (outright trauma or otherwise). From my point of view, he's far more relaxed and centered now than he was a year ago, and the progress just continues. Whether that's all because of EMDR, who knows? He's a very kinetic sort of person, so perhaps that makes a difference.
Good luck to you, whatever you pursue!

Peace,
HG

#162218 - 06/18/07 07:21 PM Re: EMDR [Re: honey girl]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Coop,

I have done EMDR on a few occasions with my T, and it has proven to be a very powerful therapy for me. That said, we have not used it very often, partly because it takes me a while to process and make use of the information and images that have coem up in those sessions.

We use it in two ways - one is actually setting up the light and doing a sort of guided meditation and exploration of whatever comes up while watching the light move; the second method is a sort of "johnny on the spot" method when I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed by something. In this latter case, he will often simply move his fingers before my eyes instead of setting up the light box.

I would caution you not to expect too much in the way of stress reduction at first, Not that EMDR (or any form of therapy, for that matter) automatically increases stress, but I have found that in my experience, I have actually experienced slightly more anxiety as my therapy has proceeded. The difference is that I am much better capable of processing and handling it without being overwhelmed or pushed to the point of depression or acting out.

Best of luck. As you know, healing isn't always easy, but it is important. EMDR can be a very effective treatment if you allow yourself to let it work. The more you can relax and let the images, thoughts, and feelings flow freely (remembering that you are in a safe place, with a T who is there to help you) the more effective your experience will be.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#162220 - 06/18/07 07:23 PM Re: EMDR [Re: honey girl]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have used EMDR several times, and while I can not claim it is a "magic bullet", I can say that it has helped me open up quite a bit. The only catch is that I can't remember a lot of what happened to me... so maybe the emotions are processing even if I can't recall the memories.

#162222 - 06/18/07 08:02 PM Re: EMDR [Re: Dewey2k]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Hey Coop.

I did EMDR about 5 years ago when I was having severe panic attacks, 5-6 a day. I was also drinking quite heavily, and, embarrassingly, went to several of the sessions loaded (I was a master of hidin, so the therapist didn't know. I was always sucking on mints because I smoked... or so I told everyone)

Anyway, EMDR is supposed to be less effective when drinking, but I got a lot of relief. The theory (and it is supported by PET scans) is that the brain activity shifts from a very deep, emotional part of the brain, to the frontal lobes.. where we can deal with it more rationally... therefore, the memories are not changed or dampended, but our ability to process them on a more intellectual level is enhanced.

I also work with kids with disabilities, including PTSD, and have seen improvments in them as well with EMDR.

There is no magic bullet - it is all hard work, but EMDR is another tool to help make the work more manageable.

Good luck! It was not scary for me - it was actually quite relaxing, but I don't know if that is everyone's experience.

Dan

Oh, there are diffent methods of delivering the stimulus.. I chose 2 discs that delivered a slight vibration... I held on in each hand. I did that becuase I am extremely tactile... I need to "do" to learn... there are also visual and auditory stimuli, so you may want to ask you therapist if he/she can offer choices that best fit how you process information.

Marge Simpson

#162234 - 06/18/07 09:27 PM Re: EMDR [Re: dannym]
kolisha54 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
PLEASE PLEASE PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!! The way this techinque seems to "work" is to get your poor little stressed-out adrenal glands to confront the overwhelming stress of the memories: your body responds as if its very life is being threatened which releases powerful cortisol compounds into your blood stream. People with PTSD have LOWERED levels of cortisol for a reason - it isn't good for us! So - messing with these chemicals can have a rebounding effect later on. Eventually, your adrenals get even more depleted. PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

#162251 - 06/18/07 11:26 PM Re: EMDR [Re: kolisha54]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Kolisha,

Could you share a little more of the experience that led you to this thinking? It seems that many of us who have had EMDR have a lot of positive, if measured, things to say about it. Your comments seem to suggest a very negative reaction, and I'd be very interested to know more about what happened. At the very least some more detail would be helpful, and would not have the effect of terrorizing someone who is sincerely curious about the process.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#162283 - 06/19/07 08:39 AM Re: EMDR [Re: tartugas]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Kolisha:
Could you please cite some literature where you saw the info on cortisol?

I do EMDR with clients selectively and have not seen the stress symptoms you refer to.

Many people feel tired after a session and the only thing about post EMDR sessions I was told about years ago that you should drink plenty of water and don't plan any major activities later that day. Other than that.......

Ken

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.