Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444537 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#160286 - 06/06/07 06:15 PM Life is what you make it......
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Life is what you make it! So I keep trying to make mine better.

This is a much longer post than I've seen on this site before. I'm going to start with an overview, so those who wish, can decide if they want to read on.

Raped at 13, and denied it and blamed myself.
Self destruction and suicide attempts.
Promiscuity, and attempts to prove I wasn't gay.
Marriage and divorce.
Major life choice, run from my problems.
Left town and entered college.
Graduation, moved to a new city.
Apartment fire, lost everything, hitch-hiked to a new city.
Arrived penniless, moved into a homeless shelter.
Given what I thought was a death sentence.
Found a job, moved into an apartment, money issues drove me away.
New city, new apartment, to expensive, left again.
Back to hometown, opened and sold one business, opened another company.
Currently trying to make my mark in this world, by trying to help others.

Well, where to begin.....I'll just start with the basics. I'm a GWM 43, single and a bit lonely.

I have a BA in English from a college that has gone defunct...so my one and only copy of my tran>

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#160299 - 06/06/07 08:06 PM Re: Life is what you make it...... [Re: Scoutvictim]
Patrick63 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Knoxville, Tennessee
Wow,

Carl! Loved your story. We are about the same age! I turn 44 in a month. I am trying to come to grips with what happened to me because I have really never dealt with it. It is biting me in the rear end because my sex drive keeps getting lower and lower and sex with my partner is causing me anxiety. I think it is because I feel ugly and dirty during sex, so I want to deal with it to be fair to my partner. We have been together almost 11 years now. He is a real sweetie pie.

Whereas you ran in a different way from me, I ran to a cult to help me become ex-gay. I spent 10 years trying to work to free myself from my sexual addictions, but it was to no avail. They threw me out for being a reprobate because I masturbated with a guy I met. They knew something was wrong because I grew pretty despondent. I eventually had to confess the whole sordid thing to my "counsellor" and they decided that I had not changed a bit so they threw me out. This cult was in Pennsylvania (about 600 miles from home). I came back home and got to spend a couple of really good years with my dad before he passed away of a heart attack. (They had forbidden contact with my family) In the 13 years I have been back home, I went back to school and got my BS and then my masters in Business. I work for a major transportation company now and do pretty well. The people in the cult said that I would never be able to go to school and if I did, I would fail because I was not diligent or smart enough to make the grade. I graduated with a 3.5 (isn't that an A?) on my BS and a 3.1 on my Masters.
Not trying to steal your thunder or anything..but your story encouraged me.
Peace
Patrick

#160305 - 06/06/07 08:39 PM Re: Life is what you make it...... [Re: Patrick63]
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Patrick,

Thank you, I was affraid no one would read such a long post.

I have to say, you have given me hope, as I said I've HAD 3 LTR. I'm so glad you found your life partner. I know somewhere out there is mine, I just have to keep looking.

I have thought about going back and getting my Masters, but life keeps getting in the way. Congradulations on getting your MBA.

If your interested, I may be asking you to join the board of directors for "A Place in our Hearts", my shelter.

Hope to hear from you again.

Luv ya,
Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#160434 - 06/07/07 02:42 PM Re: Life is what you make it...... [Re: Scoutvictim]
Patrick63 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Knoxville, Tennessee
Sure...tell me more about it

#160754 - 06/08/07 08:43 PM Re: Life is what you make it...... [Re: Patrick63]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Carl,

I'm glad you told your story. You've been through a lot and it's inspiring to see how you have managed to rise to each new challenge. Good luck with your outreach work to youth with sexual identity issues. It's so important, and many people fail to realize what the consequences can be for a kid on the run who doesn't get the support and understanding he needs.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#161058 - 06/10/07 10:51 PM Re: Life is what you make it...... [Re: Scoutvictim]
WesQ Offline

Loc: Norcross, Georgia, USA
What a life story...parts of it made cry.. but I am glad to see you have succeded this far.

Hugs ya close
Wes

Even if nobody else sings along"

From "Make Your Own Kind of Music" by Mama Cass Elliott of the Mamas and Papas

#161061 - 06/10/07 11:39 PM Re: Life is what you make it...... [Re: WesQ]
Chain Breaker Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Michigan
Carl,

I'm impressed with your courage to share this difficult story. It sounds like you've already been processing a lot. Being here will probably help move that process along. Congratulations on your honesty.

I always feel terrible when I hear about scout leaders having abused their authority to violate a boy in their care. It is simply unconscionable. I was a scout, too, and my experience was not like yours. I had good leaders who treated me and the other boys with great care and kindness, and who never would have thought of violating any of us. They even helped get me special arrangements to get my Eagle Scout award in a shorter time than normal, as I had lived in a place with no scouting program for a long time. I still hold out hope for scouting, but I recognize the difficulties of keeping boys safe in such a program. I am straight but find it offensive and misguided that they seek to solve the problem by keeping gay men out of the leadership. What they should do is keep child abusers out, but it's harder to screen for because abusers will lie when asked if they are abusers, but gay men usually will admit they are gay. So the BSA assumes that it's about homosexuality because these crimes involve male on male sex. If only they understood that sexual child abuse is mostly about power, they might come up with a better solution.

I digress. In any event, welcome to the site. Post often as you feel comfortable doing so. Always nice to meet a new friend who understands the pain and is working to heal.

Much love,
Joe

On an unrelated note, you said,

Originally Posted By: Scoutvictim
Friends say I can talk until the cows come home(whenever that is).

In my experience, that's usually right around 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. That's milking time, and milking can be a big relief.

Edited by Chain Breaker (06/10/07 11:43 PM)

CB

"[Insert your name here], I am [Chain Breaker]. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"
--Wind In His Hair, Dances With Wolves

#161132 - 06/11/07 02:53 PM Re: Life is what you make it...... *DELETED* [Re: Scoutvictim]
krayoss Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: west
Post deleted by krayoss

#161175 - 06/11/07 06:38 PM Re: Life is what you make it...... [Re: krayoss]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Carl,

I was abused by a scout leader as well - it continued for 5 years until I was 14. The bastard was also a church leader, so a double-whammy!

You might be interested to know that I wrote to National to relate my experiences and urge vigilance, and they sent back a very nice reply. They explained steps they were taking to deal with past abuses and security lapses and told me they would be happy to hear from me if I had further suggestions.

Scouting really has changed a lot since we were in it. Prospective leaders are vetted and trained, and there are strict rules about the relationships and contacts between leaders and boys. The Scout Handbook also comes with a CDRom on staying safe, and they have a film they show boys about what to do if they are approached in inappropriate ways, not just by Scout leaders, but more generally too.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#161539 - 06/14/07 01:45 AM Re: Life is what you make it...... [Re: roadrunner]
David1010 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I admit I didn't read the whole story, but read almost all of it. I'm glad you posted it, and I'm glad I read it. I applaud your courage and honesty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.