Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
5 registered (DaiseyLady, TJ jeff, bluesky, Cthulhu, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64185 Topics
447893 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#159363 - 06/01/07 02:47 PM Mysterious Skin
buzz_key Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
While on vacation, I read the fiction novel "Mysterious Skin" - that has been or is being made into a movie.

VERY interesting book. If you take the characters and look at them through a somewhat foggy glass you can really realte to these two guys...
Awesome illustration of how CSA can have differing and sometimes diametrically (sp?) opposed effects on two seperate people.

I would recommend this book - TRIGGERS!!! though.

#159364 - 06/01/07 02:52 PM Re: Mysterious Skin [Re: buzz_key]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I saw the movie, Buzz. Triggers - galore! I found myself backing away from my tv at one point.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#159365 - 06/01/07 03:01 PM Re: Mysterious Skin [Re: FormerTexan]
buzz_key Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Hey Andy,

Yeah, I think seeing the movie might be harder to do than reading the book...in a movie the images are someone elses and they are right in front of you...
in a book, the reader maintains control over the images and how long one continues with it, or not.

#159527 - 06/02/07 08:14 PM Re: Mysterious Skin [Re: buzz_key]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Buzz and others,

The film is generally faithful to the book but Gregg Araki does divert from it here and there. But the BIG difference is that the screen gives Araki the opportunity to turn the book into an absolutely searing account of how abuse affects two boys very differently. Andy is right about the triggers. It's graphic visually and in the>
This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.