Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
4 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, Obi, Sojourn Survivor, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63580 Topics
444204 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#159348 - 06/01/07 01:07 PM At least it's something..........
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
No doubt he will rott in hell, but it looked like he was getting away without proper punishment in the earthly world. This is no where near what he deserves, but it's something..........

Ex-priest who molested boys will stand trial on assault charge
Friday, June 01, 2007
BY JEFF DIAMANT
Star-Ledger Staff

James Hanley, a former Catholic priest who admitted molesting about a dozen boys over several decades, lost his appeal yesterday to enter a pretrial intervention program in an unrelated assault case.

He then rejected a Hudson County assistant prosecutor's offer to let him plead guilty to reduced charges in the assault case, which prosecutors say involves an incident with a softball bat 15 months ago at the Extended Stay Hotel in Secaucus.

He is now expected to go on trial in September or October on counts of unlawful weapons possession and making terrorist threats.

Authorities say that, on March 10, 2006, Hanley swung a bat he had been using as a cane at three employees of the hotel after a dispute over payment for a room. The employees called police.

Hanley, 70, has been in jail since missing a court date last fall, unable to meet bail that has been reduced to $20,000. The maximum sentence he faces at trial is five years. Pleading guilty would have meant a year in jail, and he would have received credit for time already served.

Hanley, a former Catholic priest, has admitted to the sex abuse of minors. In 2004, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Paterson agreed to pay a $5 million settlement to 21 men who said he molested them as boys. Most of the alleged abuse was said to have occurred from 1968 to 1982 at St. Joseph's in Mendham and Our Lady of Good Counsel in Pompton Plains.

Hanley cooperated with the plaintiffs in that case, saying in a sworn statement that he engaged in oral sex, sexual touching, open-mouth kissing and masturbation with boys, and that he showered with them. He admitted abusing about a dozen boys.

He was not prosecuted for sex abuse because the statute of limitations had expired. He is therefore eligible to apply for pretrial intervention for first-time offenders in the assault case.

But prosecutors have discretion in deciding which defendants can be in the pretrial intervention program. Hudson County Judge Sheila Venable said yesterday she decided the alleged violent nature of the hotel incident gave prosecutors legitimate reason to keep Hanley out of the program.

Hanley's lawyer, public defender James Convery, complained yesterday that the judge had taken into account Hanley's past history.

"It's obvious that the court took into consideration (issues) that are extraneous," Convery said, with Hanley at his side.

Hanley wore a green jail jump suit, walked with a cane to and from the courtroom, and was handcuffed and chained around the waist. He spoke very little, saying just "yes" to the judge when she asked him if he was rejecting the prosecutor's plea offer and wanted to go to trial.

The trial date is expected to be set on June 21.

#159370 - 06/01/07 04:07 PM Re: At least it's something.......... [Re: Trish4850]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Trish, where the Hell do they get a five year sentence worked out?
Many boys will not have spoken out about him abusing them, so we can work out that there are many more.

It must wreak the worst havoc that a priest would abuse you in the 'name' of God, and I dont really know what went on in an abused kid who is abused by a man he should trust implicitely.

Words dont enter my mind on how I view parochial abuse, it is far too sad,

ste

#159371 - 06/01/07 04:14 PM Re: At least it's something.......... [Re: reality2k4]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
I hope he rots in prison.

#159374 - 06/01/07 04:35 PM Re: At least it's something.......... [Re: EGL]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Ste,

The 5 years has nothing whatsoever to do with what he did to children - for that he will not pay because of the statute of limitations, which has been repealed. The Judge and Prosecutor are trying to max out his sentence on these new charges for assault - hopefully the bastard will just die in jail.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.